1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Wormwood?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by zrs6v4, Aug 13, 2009.

1. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I am reading through proverbs and every time I read it I stumble across 5:4-5.

"But in the end she is bitter as wormwood, Sharp as a two-edged sword."

This always makes me think of Revelation, but does anyone have any explanation of what wormwood is?

2. Graybeard

Graybeard New Member

Other than the reference in Revelation 8 11 I don't know. Interesting question though, I await a better answer.

10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;

11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

From Strong's

Wormwood

H3939
    לענה
    la‛ănâh
    lah-an-aw'
    From an unused root supposed to mean to curse; wormwood (regarded as poisonous, and therefore accursed): - hemlock, wormwood.

The strange woman in Prov. 5:5 speaks sweet words that drip off of her lips like honey, but in reality they are poison.

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

Well Webster states:
    While 'stomachic' refers to being medicinal, it is of note what 'corroborant' means which is used as an additive for strengthening whatever it is added to.

Historically it was used as a medicine in many pagan cultures (such as Greeks) to help bring on menstration/furtility. But it's typical usage in scripture is that of it's natural unprocessed properties being both bitter and harmful resulting even in death.

Here are all the passages with wormwood in them.
    This from Vincint Word Studies:

#4 Allan, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
  5. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

thanks for the responses. sorry that this thread isnt argumentive.. hehe, jk

6. Lux et veritas

Lux et veritas New Member

Just wait until Benefactor reads it. He'll have it ('wormwood' that is) designated as a biblical description for Calvinistic theology and then prove to us all how that's what the Greek really is.:smilewinkgrin:

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Dictionary.Com

I wonder what word English translators would have used prior to 1350?