1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is wrong with Kentucky?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 14, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I don't think I said anything about KY "needing" a new coach. I simply said that good records at KY will get your fired and I still stand by that statement. There are a handful of programs around the country that demand better than "good" records and KY is one of them.

KY has looked good the last few games and if they keep that up I am sure they will have a good remainder of the season. However, if they struggle more there may be a need for a new coach. Honestly, I could really care less who coaches KY. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [/QUOTE]Honestly, I could really care less who coaches KY. [​IMG] [​IMG] [/QB][/QUOTE]

Hey now, everyone should be concerned when the #1 college basketball program in the world is struggling.

3. PastorSBC1303

Last time I checked Duke was not struggling ;) [​IMG]

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I thought it was UConn, at the moment.
    Ed

5. PastorSBC1303

The #1 team in the polls at the moment is UConn. However, the #1 College basketball program is Duke. I am not even a Duke fan, but I can recognize this. [​IMG]

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I dunno about that. I just looked at who is NCAA Div.I champion over the last eleven years, since 1995, to see if my memory was failing me. It wasn't. In the last eleven years, Duke has one title (2001). UK (1996, 98) and UConn (1999, 2004) have two each. Duke and UConn have had the same number of appearances in the title game, with one of UConn's coming over Duke. I will concede that the Big East and the ACC have been the strongest conferences over that time with three titles each, but you did not ask that. The largest number of appearances in the Final Four over that time was UNC with five appearances under three different coaches. (No other team was there more than three times.) And I am a fan of none of the above, save UK. I think I'll stand here for now, with what I said. I might change my mind by, I don't know say, April 4, 2006?
    Ed

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Since Duke came up . . . I'd like to ask:

What's wrong with Wake Forest!!!!! We have season tickets and they've been painful to watch! *sigh*

After the VT game, Prosser came out and said it's was the low point of his career. We had about 10 VT customers with us. They weren't to happy to find out that losing to them was the bottom of the barrel . . .

8. PastorSBC1303

ahhh those bluegrass colored glasses strike again [​IMG]

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

PastorSBC1303 I was not aware that Wake was in KY, so I'm sure you were not talking about me. NOT! And if you are, being as my contention is UConn is the current best program, by one objective standard, and another hated school from the other end of the 'Tobacco Road' from KY (UNC) is the best by another objective standard, how is that green tinted glasses? You are from the "Show Me!" state. Okay, what do you want to be shown? I showed you titles; I showed you Final Fours. If I were to show you wins by the current head coach, would you assume that it is Texas Tech?. I'm just wondering who actually has on tinted glasses? :rolleyes:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ed

10. PastorSBC1303

Ed, the best program is not deteremined by how many titles they have won or how many final four appearances there have been been in a certain amount of years alone. It is about the total program from top to bottom: record, titles, final four appearances, tournament record, recruiting, coaches, etc etc. By those standards Duke is the #1 program in college basketball. UNC, KY, UConn and a few others are up there, but they are not on top at the moment.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Well, it is nice to know there is NO subjectivity involved. Certainly 'coaches' and 'recruiting' are not subjective calls. Unlike FF appearaces or titles, which obviously are. I'm sorry, did I sound a wee bit unconvinced, and maybe a touch sarcastic? I was not aware of that, much.

In a general sense, I will allow there are a handful of top programs, overall. I just don't think (with the possible exception of academics) that one can differentiate that much with Duke above the rest I have mentioned above, with the exception of Texas Tech. And I would add Arizona, Louisville, Michigan State, Kansas and Syracuse in as well, with another handful close behind, but still have to call it generally subjective.

It has taken Oklahoma State 30 years to get back to anywhere near where it was with Hank Iba. UCLA is nowhere near where it was 30 years ago, and OSU and UC north of the Ohio are not likely to be confused with the days of Fred Taylor and Ed Jucker on the benches with Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek and Larry Seigfried patrolling the court for the Buckeyes, and Paul Hogue, Ron Bonham and Tom Thacker in shorts and sneakers for the Bearcats, anytime soon. So I do admit, it's tough to stay on top, for long.

And it's tough to break through. Look at Missouri and Illinois just on the fringes and trying to join that elite for several years with pretty fair programs, themselves. But they are not hardly there yet, IMO.

Duke? They are there among the best.
    One of the elite programs in the country? Yep!
    One of the top half dozen? Yep!
    Far ahead of the rest? One of the top half dozen!

Ed

12. PastorSBC1303

Ed, we see things differently and that is ok. I still say that Duke is the #1 program in the country at this time. And from my reading and watching sports programming I think a good majority of people around the country would agree with me.

But anyways, college basketball is great. And it will be interesting to see if KY can get back on track for the remainder of the season and make some noise in the tournament.

13. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, UK has more wins than any other team in the NCAA. They are 2nd in National Championships. They have the best and most knowledgable fans in the world; usually lead in attendance every year.

IMO, Duke is not even near our program, but teams that are closer are NC, Kansas, and UCLA to name a few. I feel Duke is in the next batch of teams with the Louisvilles, Indianas, and a few others.

14. PastorSBC1303

Now that is bluegrass colored glasses right there [​IMG]

Duke is not even near KY? Give me a break. I will take the arguement that Duke may not be the #1 program in the country. However to say they are not even in the top tier with KY is just plain ridiculous.

15. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, I said they are in the next tier... so that would put them in the top 10 or so.

16. PastorSBC1303

There is absolutely no way in the world Duke is not in the very top tier of teams in the NCAA. Period. You are allowinig your bias towards KY and their normal disgust for Duke (since Duke has knocked you all off how many times in big games?) to affect your view here.

17. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think UK leads the overall series against Duke 11-8 or something like that. And as far as big games between them there are 3 big ones I recall that happened in the big dance:

1978 National Championship:

UK 94
    Duke 88

Of course the lucky Laetner shot in 1992 where Duke won in OT 104-103.

And of course in the 1998 elite 8 I believe UK comes from way back and beats Duke 86-84 where they go and win the championship that year. I think I still have this game on tape.

I don't have anything against Duke for the most part and I even like Coach K. I will never forget after that heartbreaking Laetner shot, he walked to the UK radio table and congratulated the UK team and fans on a great game, which I thought was classy.

18. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. PastorSBC1303

Again, if you want to say that Duke and KY are both top tier teams I am fine with that. But to say that Duke is not in that top tier is just simply ridiculous.

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I've not said that Duke is not a 'top tier' team, but I was amused at the facts on the web site. I still have to give the devil his due, and say right now (02/03/2006), the top Division I basketball school in the country is UConn. The Big East is the toughest in the country in 2005-06, and who's at the top of the heap? Jimmy Calhoun and UConn! Oh yeah, Jimmy C. does seem to be running a class act, and I haven't even mentioned 'Clean Gene' and the women's program, until now! Little question there, IMO. And I have said, my opinion may change after the first week of April. I'd like to say then, UK, UL, or WKU, but I ain't put the first chip on THAT line. And ain't goin' to!
    Ed