1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is wrong with Kentucky?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 14, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

That website has a couple things wrong on it.

First of all, under conference tournaments Duke has 6 and KY has 1 and they give the edge to Kentucky.

Second, they give the edge to key players to KY and they have listed as Duke's key players during the 90s as only Hurley, Hill and Laettner. Have they forgotten some of the other Duke players in the 90s such as: Brian Davis, Thomas Hill, Antonio Lang, Cherokee Parks, Erik Meeks, Roshown McLeod, Elton Brand, Trajan Langdon, Jason Williams, Corey Maggette, William Avery, Chris Carrawell, and Steve Wojciechowski?

2. PastorSBC1303

Again, both KY and Duke are GREAT college basketball programs. And you could make a sound arguement that during the 1990s KY was the #1 program in the country.

However,IMO, at the present time Duke stands as the #1 college basketball program in the country. KY is up there. UConn is up there. UNC is up there. Kansas is up there. But right now Duke is the best overall.

3. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Opinions certainly vary. I don't even think UConn is in Dukes category, but I am looking at the programs from when basketball first began not just in recent times. UConn has not been that good for that long. In fact, UConn had some horrible teams not too long ago.

This post makes #500!!!

4. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, you are correct that that the website has an error. Kentucky actually won seven- count 'em, seven, tourney championships during the 90's, not one, so I guess 7 to 6 DOES give KY the edge, there? Maybe? [​IMG] The Pastor finally admitted that this was 'his opinion'. I'll give that. I still think that today, that UConn is number one. IF I had to pick a coach, I'd probably go with Coaches C & K, as the second and third best, and not even necessarily in that order. Fourth thru ninth? I dunno' how about picking from Roy at NC, Tom Izzo with the Spartans, Jimmy at Syracuse, Sweater Bobby K. at TX Tch, and Rick and Tubby in the BG state. I'm not even going to try for #ten, in the coaching world. But coaches was not the question, "Who is the current best program is?" is. I wish I could say UK, but today I can't. [​IMG] And I've tried to base mine on facts, not 'ideals'. Over the history of 'Big Time' college Basketball, I have to say the top four to six are UK, UNC, UCLA, Kansas, Michigan, Indiana, with Duke, Syracuse, and UConn and OK ST. knocking on the door trying to get in as UCLA tries to leave. But that was never the question, so I didn't address that. Were I to base this on just the last 15 years, I would have it a three way tie with UK, UNC, and Duke, with maybe a slight edge for Duke has three titles with two each for the other two. But the question is who is the best now? IMO, and I freely admit that it is my opinion, the answer is still UConn. Should Duke win the title, this year, I would agree that now it is Duke. If UConn were to win, would you admit UConn? [​IMG] I think they are the teams to beat, with little question. I don't think either is going to be confused with the '92 Devils who, led by Laettner, Hurley and the Hill boys, cleaned the clock of the 'Fab Five' by 20 pts.; or the '04 Huskies of Okafor and Jordan, where in a game with poor shooting, 'Oke' had two blocks and swept the glass for 15 rebounds, to finish off Ga Tech. Should UNC repeat or UK win, neither of which are going to happen, IMO, I'd probably go there. For that is what the record would indicate in all four scenarios. I guess we shall see.

BTW, the best coach in Div. I College Basketball today resides in Stillwater, OK. [​IMG] Who did you think it is? I know. After all, my name IS Eddie Sutton! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ed [​IMG]

6. PastorSBC1303

I thought you knew it was just my opinion. [​IMG]

You got a deal. I agree that these are the 2 best teams in the country. I would love to see them play each other in the championship game.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If I had to select the best coach, I would go with Coach K, and then Roy Williams at UNC.

I think that Bobby Knight might be along with John Wooden the 2 greatest basketball minds ever in college basketball. However, Knight just could not control himself which is very sad.

7. PastorSBC1303

Thanks, that is interesting. I would have never dreamed that St. Johns and Temple would have more wins than Indiana and UCLA.

Also, would you not have to put Duke in your top tier of teams now considering that you said you were basing your opinion on all time programs and Duke is #4 in wins???

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

AF Guy, that IS an interesting link. I was surprised to find that MN, WA St., Temple, Butler, Charleston, and Wisc. Milwaukie were all old hands at the game before KY and NC put up the first peach basket; that Duke played for five years before NC; and that UCLA didn't get in to BB until 1920. Those are a few things I would not have guessed. Thanks for the link. I enjoyed it, although I DO NOT enjoy anything in pdf. format.
    Ed

9. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Duke is just one notch below KY, but since I feel UK is #1, every other team is also a notch below.

UK is not only 1st in wins, but first in winning % by quite a bit, which is more impressive in my opinion. You can view the teams by wins, %, or even by alphabetical order.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Pastor :
    Ed:
    Ed [​IMG]

11. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All this talk about UK basketball has me fired up for the most important game of the weekend; of course that would be UK @ FL Sat night and not the bus vs birds game...

Go Wildcats!!!

12. PastorSBC1303

Wow, you just refuse to remove those bluegrass colored glasses, huh? :cool:

Even Ed admits that right now they are not the #1 program in the country.

Make up your mind. You started earlier that Duke was a second tier team behind a few others. Now they are just one notch below KY?

By your own link, they are #4 in wins all time, which clearly makes them a top tier team.

13. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    UK (top notch)

NC
    Kansas
    UCLA
    IU
    DUKE (all next notch)

I still would put Duke a notch below UK and just a tad below the other 4 teams. So nothing I stated earlier changed.

I consider myself pretty smart when talking sports (Actually since getting closer to God, I have decreased in knowledge) However, all of this is my opinion.

I for one think John Elway was a better OVERALL QB than Joe Montana, but I am in the minority there. I just like seeing folks back their stuff up a bit with facts and not just saying so and so is the best or greatest without giving any specifics.

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

AF Guy-
    Remember, we are takling about the best program today-
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

FTR, starting with the 95-96 season thru 2005, I admit that Duke had the better record as UK fell way down. Duke 290-60 over that time, and UK was 288-65. So I'll allow that, being the nice guy that I am, Duke's record the previous season of something like 6-20 was an abberation, which, if included, along with KY's, would boost KY, over Duke for the last twelve years. Although I have to admit, Five more losses with three more total games spread out over 10 years does't seem like that far of a fall, but maybve that's just me. I'm open to the suggestion, anyway. As I said before, it all depends on March Madness in 2006 where I wind up. [​IMG]
    In His grace,
    Ed [​IMG]

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

C'mon, AF guy! How can you rate "today" UCLA AND IU in the top four, and not have UConn, or even have them above Mich. St.? That one makes no sense!
    Ed

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Correction, Top Six!
    Ed

17. PastorSBC1303

Come on? I grew up in Indiana. I had a basketball hoop on my garage like every other kid in Indiana. I have played basketball my entire life. I graduated from Indiana University. I am a life long IU fan. But there is no way that IU and UCLA are above Duke in overall programs in college basketball at this time. That is just simply ridiculous.

18. PastorSBC1303

If you want facts to support that Duke should be above IU and UCLA look at your own link of all time winniest programs in the NCAA.

19. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, those are the tangibles.

But there is an intangible, kind of mystique about the other ones as well (fans, etc) that you should not discount.

Did you see the movie Hoosiers?

And UCLA deserves to be there just based on the fact that they have more championships than anyone else and were dominant in the late 60s and 70s.

Anyway, all opinions still and very subjective.

20. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey SBC Pastor,

Since you seem to be such a huge Duke fan, here is a nice article you may enjoy:

Greensboro, (NC) - Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford announced today that a foul is tentatively scheduled to be called against Duke sometime in the first half of their game with UNC in Chapel Hill, next Tuesday, February 7th.

In a joint press conference with Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski, and ACC Director of Officials John Clougherty, Swofford said an agreement had been reached for a touch foul to be whistled on as-yet-to-be-determined Blue Devil player around the 7:00 minute mark during the first half of the game at the Smith Center.

"We are very excited to arrange something that hasn't been seen in our conference since 1998," said Swofford. "I want to personally commend Mike (Krzyzewski) for agreeing to this unconventional deal. We all know how reluctant he has been to allow any calls to go against his team."

Krzyzewski insisted that this move was purely a gesture of generosity aimed at rehabilitating his public image in light of recent lip-synching fiascos during several nationally televised games. "The camera did not catch me really uttering the BS-word during my argument with the official the other night. Those really were my lips moving but I wasn't really yelling the word. I'm sure our fans will understand."

"Mike is being a really good sport about this," noted UNC coach Roy Williams. "This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to play them with a foul being called against their squad, and to have it happen here in front of the home crowd will be especially enjoyable for our fans."

Clougherty says that unless unforeseen intimidation happens during the game, that the scheduled foul should occur without a hitch. "It all depends on whether Coach K holds up his end of the bargain and promises not to harrass our crew that evening."

Clougherty also said not to expect any more fouls to be called against Duke this season, but did not rule out the possibility of another one being called in an exhibition game in November 2006. "The Duke AD told me that they are trying to schedule Marathon Oil for a pre-season game next year and we are in discussions about perhaps calling another foul against Duke in that match-up if everyone can come to terms."

The officiating crew for the Duke vs. UNC game will not be announced publicly prior to the game in order to protect their privacy. Swofford said he anticipated a media barrage and did not want the referees to be distracted from their big task at hand. "This is a big deal and a momentous occasion for the league. We need our employees to remain focused so that they can complete their jobs in what could end up being a very difficult situation."

Game Notes: If the foul occurs on February 7th, it will be the 27th foul called against the Blue Devils in their basketball history...........
    Dick Vitale and Mike Patrick will be handling the TV play by play for ESPN. Vitale says he has no idea what he will say when the foul is called against Duke but he has been placed on a prescription sedative as a preventive measure..........
    A CBS 60 Minutes television crew is planning to attend the game to catch the event on tape for an upcoming expose on the Duke basketball program and how Mike Krzyzewski uses friendships and loyalty to advance his own agenda.