1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Is Wrong With Small Groups?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Dec 3, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

For example, we read in Acts 2:46 how the believers met both in the Temple and in their homes--of course, these home-meetings were divided among the members and not all of them meeting at one home.

"And every day they devoted themselves [to meeting] together in the temple complex, and broke bread from house to house. They ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart" (Acts 2:46, HCSB).

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

You don't have to be worried about me assuming you are confrontational just because you have a different view and ask questions of me.

It was a book study on marriage written by Dennise Rainey.

Yes

Yes

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I think we might be talking about two different things here?

4. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Really? Then please tell me a couple things:

1. Tell me how a small group of people are different in the home than they are in SS.

2. Why do you assume that there is a lack of your percieved qualities in a SS setting.

3. What are the overbearing limitations that prevent a small group seeting in SS.

And answer this question as well. Why would you draw a difference between the two based on what I said without giving explanation?

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the "cell group" terminology originated in the early 1900s in the Marxist/Communist movement. The church borrowed it later:

"In 1966, former Communist Douglas Hyde wrote an influential book Dedication and Leadership: Learning from the Communists, in which he urged Christians to adopt Communist cell group methods to recruit, inspire, and train new members." p. 265, Twisted Scriptures: Breaking Free from Churches That Abuse by Mary Alice Chrnalogar (Zondervan, 2000).

6. North Carolina Tentmaker

1. Yes, I have and will in the future.
    2. Yes, of course. Sometimes I will agree and change my position, sometimes we will continue to disagree. Depends on the issue and what scripture says.
    3. Of course, and I have many times.
    4. No one should be above vulnerablity. The pastor is just a man.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Now we are addressing the size of a SS vs a home-gathering. For example, I view Dr. David Jeremiah's TurningPoint and he usually broadcast some of his Sunday school lessons, where he is addressing thousands of his members. How can that be comparable to a home-setting?

2. I have experienced both, so I'm speaking from experience--there's a difference.

3. What do you mean by "overbearing limitations"?

4. For starters, the fellowship dynamic of a small group is not experienced in a SS. A SS is designed to instruct not fellowship on a koinonia level.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. In our small group, there is not a teacher, but what I'll call a "facilitator". DH, as the small group leader will usually lead it but OFTEN he'll pass it on to some of the other men who are in the group. Of course, once the talking part of the group has started (usually after a worship time, crowd breaker or whatever - of COURSE after food), we'll review the message from Sunday then begin talking about it and figuring out how to apply the message. I love this idea because then you're not just listening to a message but then hashing it out, asking questions, giving ideas, etc. We usually have awesome discussions and have challenged each other, encouraged one another and prayed for one another. After that, we usually break men in one room and women in another room for prayer time so that we can share more comfortably.

In our old church, Sunday School classes were more of a teaching time - like a class. Yes, you could ask questions and such but it wasn't encouraged that everyone would share with each other like we do in the small group. In the small group, there's much more sharing of ministry than a Sunday School class would.

I see a big difference in the two but maybe some do Sunday School differently than we used to.

9. drfuss

drfuss New Member

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why did the believers meet in HOMES in Acts 2? Do you share a meal in SS? Do outreach?

11. dan e.

dan e. New Member

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

We do not have small group study at our church, but I wish we did. Our SS class is like a small group study though and our "teacher" is really the leader of the discussion. We do a verse by verse study and discuss everything. It never lasts long enough for me. One hour is just not enough. :)
    There are some that do not participate in the discussion and this is fine. No one is forced to speak if they don't want to. I have learned so much more in this type of setting than one in which the teacher is the only one doing the talking.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It sounds like the problem runs deeper than these "others".
    Who puts anyone on the "spot" during SG? I've never seen it in the 4 different groups I've been in. It's open discussion. Why would your wife "refuse" to contribute? My wife is shy too, and that is not really an excuse. Again, it sounds like the issue runs deeper than what you are letting on.

NOW we know who TCG was talking about :rolleyes:
    The great thing about SG is the very facts you mention...people are different!
    What does a pastor ministering to everyone have to do with anything? You think a church should be set up as a dictatorship where the ONLY learning comes under the dictator? Please, let me know what church you attend, as I will stay as far away as possible.

14. 2 Timothy2:1-4

That is how they do it in one particular setting. This is not normative.

You seem to imply that there is no condition in which a SS can be a small group setting. What are the limitations in your view that inhibit this from being true.

I have been in a large church setting (11000 members) and a small church setting. In each case it was.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amy, you ever bring it up to leadership to start one in your church? You can start small with a sign up to see who would be interested. It really is a wonderful tool for any church, and you would not need to eliminate SS either.

16. 2 Timothy2:1-4

because they did not have a formal building to meet in.

Sunday school classes gather to get and give instruction, fellowship through the sharing of meals and taking trips to places together like The Holy land Experience, a Gaithers concert etc.

Outreach has been a part of every SS class I have ever seen or been a part of. In fact the original purpose of SS was specifically for that reason.

SS can be whatever setting the group wishes. It has no limitations. And again meeting in homes is just geography. I am neither for it or against it.

17. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Maybe this SS controversy is just a generational thing.....:laugh:

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Really?

Act 2:46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts,

19. drfuss

drfuss New Member

20. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

:laugh:............ bad boy! :thumbs: