1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your definition of cult?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by stanleyg, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

SEVENTH DAY ADVENTISTS!

Yep it sounds like a cult to me!

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That is not entirely fair to them . . . they have repented of many (if not all) of their early heresies . . .

They are different, and I think that they are wrong. But, the last time that I asked, they place saving faith in Jesus alone . . .

Yes, they were originally caught up in the restoration movement like the mormons and church of Christ. But, unlike the Mormons they moved back towards orthodoxy. I believe that the CoChrist was orthodox.

IMHO.

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Excellent points El_Guero. We don't agree often so I thought I'd take this opportunity to give you one of these. :thumbsup:

4. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

You really want to defend a bunch of people that condemn the rest of us because we worship on Sunday?

These people believe that all of us drink in the fornications of mystery babylon.

5. FundamentalOnly!

FundamentalOnly! New Member

That is very true, I studied the Millerite movement in college, they sold everything they had expecting Christ to return to earth. When he didnt, they called it the Great dissapointment!!!

6. stanleyg

stanleyg New Member

We could do Jesus' job for Him and weed out each cult ahead of time. Then again, we can wait on our King and let Him do the weeding. Otherwise, He may blot our names from the Lamb's book of life. Why gamble on seeing our second death?

Amen!

7. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Any group that has in their name the words Baptist, Fundamentalist, Pentecostal, or Bible church. JK!!!:smilewinkgrin:

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What a great urban legend!

Now for a few facts - to go along with Inquiring-fiction

#1. William Miller never was an SDA and never taught that Christ went into the Most Holy Place of the Heavenly sanctuary.

#2. The Millerites numbered about 50,000. There as a small group of 50 (read 5 0 INquiringM) reviewed the Dan 7, 8 and 9 prophecy on the 2300 days used by the Millerites to find that Christ's ministry focus had changed in 1844.

#3. Ellen White had nothing to do with the Sabbath teaching in Adventism - it was Bates and the Seventh-day Baptists.

#4. There were no doctrines given to the SDA's by Ellen White. And nothing I have argued on this board has used Ellen White as a source.

But again - that would be facts instead of IM fiction.

In Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This the part where you talk about the great track record stanley has - or is this the part where you show me quoting Ellen White or is this the part where you defend your idea of "Protestant Purgatory"??

Kinda hard to know what you will come up with next.

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When we look at John Calvin, Knox and Wesley we see that they each came up with distinctive doctrines that their followers were "known by".

And those doctrines were not always well accepted by others. For example Wesley held that some of what Calvin taught his followers was wrong. It is only natural to "assume" then that since Ellen White is practically synonamous with SDA - that she must have introduced distinctive SDA doctrines that everyone else in the SDA church then latched on to - just as Calvin, Wesley and others did for their followers.

But "as it turned out" that is not how SDA distinctive doctrines were created - at least not the ones that you read in the actual statement of beliefs that all SDAs know and vote on each quinquinium (every 5 years in world-wide church convocation).

However there are doctrines (like the Trinity) where the SDA church was divided on the Bible issue (at an early point in SDA church history) with each side taking one side or the other of this doctrinal POV (as you frequently find in the Baptist congregations for example -- on some doctrinal topics) and when Ellen White came down on the Trinitarian side - everyone more or less lined up (given a few decades for the SDA group at large to think about it of course).

So when we find vaccuous vitriol coming from people like InquiringMind we at least have some room for grace - to allow that his ranting - while unchristian and false -- is not totally without some rock of excuse to hide behind.

In Christ,

Bob

#30 BobRyan, Oct 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2006
  11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It's against the rules of the BB to call anyone a heretic. We can say certain beliefs are heretical but we cannot call someone a heretic.

Heresy is departing from or rejecting an essential of the faith. I don't call people who disagree with me heretics. Christians can disagree on many things. But if they deny one of these, that is heresy:
    1. The deity of Christ
    2. The Trinity and personhood of each of the 3 persons of the Trinity
    3. Christ's bodily resurrection
    4. The virgin birth
    5. Christ coming again

Maybe a couple of others, but I injured my back and can't sit long. I had to cancel a trip to CA where I was supposed to speak Friday night. :tear:

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

We are not weeding out anyone when we judge teachings according to the Bible. Jesus himself said to beware false teachers and that many would come. And they have!

God will decide who is a believer and who isn't. We can't say anything about people who don't deny the essentials but who may not be believers. But we sure can say something about those who adhere to, follow, and promote false teachings.