1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your earliest political memory?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Spinach, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hey Jim,

Welcome back to the BB!:wavey:

2. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

That was my first political memory also. I was 5 years old, and watching it on TV at my grandmother's house.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Watching President Eisenhower go by in a motorcade.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My mother, a Texas farm girl with 6 sisters and 2 brothers, who grew to adulthood during the depression, absolutely could not stand FDR. This was mentioned several times in passing as I grew up. It took a lot of maturing on my part to understand why.

Other than that, like everyone else , I remember where I was and what I was doing when Kennedy was shot.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Mines was Eisenhower's funeral. He was sent home as a true soldier/hero.

I recall Vietnam and Watergate being on the news.

6. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I remember Carter being President, but not his election...but i do recall our school's mock election in 1980 when i was in the 4th grade. I led the "Carter Stinks" chants on the play ground that day, which the teacher on duty who was a left over from the 60's didn't really appreciate. I guess my political leanings started early!

7. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was in A cappella Choir practice as a junior in high school when a girl came in and told us of Kennedy's assassination. surreal.
    It was then I became interested in politics, and joined the Young Republicans. Voted in ever permissible election since.

8. Spinach

Spinach New Member

This was so interesting! Thanks for participating! Your memories are very vivid. The only memory I have that is that vivid was 9/11 and I was an adult. That day will live with me forever.

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The first memory I have is pretty strong and was during the Reagan/Mondale run. I secretly admired Geraldine Ferraro (most around me mocked her) and I really wanted to see a woman make that position, but Mondale gave me the creeps and I thought he was a bad person.

I was literally scared of Mondale winning and was so happy that I cried when Reagan did.

I think it was the same year that I called into some political radio show because they said something dumb and I called to tell them I was only 11 and knew better than that. :laugh: I don't remember what it was, I think they were talking about the legalization of certain drugs.

10. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I recall as a young lad the Truman-Dewey presidential race in 1948.

I don't know if this counts but but a few years later General Mac Arthur as he left the army or was pushed out by Truman, old soldiers never die, they just fade away.

11. thomas not doubting

thomas not doubting New Member

My earliest memory that has to do with politics goes back to the time I was 7 years old. It was the autumn of 1964 and the time of the Johnson vs. Goldwater presidential race. I was in the second grade and we had been on a field trip and were coming back to the school on the bus. There was a group of kids on the bus calling each other names: "Repukelican" and "Democrap".

Of course, at that age they had no idea what Republican or Democrat meant. These kids only knew that their parents were in one group and the other group was against them. So they called each other names as 7 year olds would do.

I don't remember JFK's assination in 1963, but I do remember when RFK was killed in 1968. I do remember about 1973-74, asking my dad what all the Watergate scandal was about.

I could first vote in 1976. I was nineteen and remember going up to register to vote. I have voted in every presidential election since (and I voted for Ford in 1976.)

I can remember other current events of the 1960's better than politics. I do remember in 1966 when that man named Speck killed all those student nurses in their dormitory. I remember this most vividly because their pictures were on the front page of the newspaper and I remember reading the article, being horrified that someone would do such a thing.

I vaguely remember when that woman, Kitty Genovese, was killed in New York City in 1964; how she was being stabbed to death and calling for help and nobody would respond or even call the police to report it. I do remember it being an article in Readers Digest some years later.

#31 thomas not doubting, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2008
  12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I remember Jimmy Carter getting elected.

I remember all the impeachment proceedings around Watergate and missing getting to see Brady Bunch.

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

And yes, even though I was only a few months old, I remember the tenseness surrounding the assassination of JFK.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first thing in politics that stuck with me was the birth and death of Patrick Bouvier Kennedy in August 1963. He was born six weeks premature to John F. and Jacqueline Kennedy.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Are you talking about Theodore?[​IMG]

My earliest memory is the Nixon-Kennedy debates.