1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is Your Purpose in Coming to Baptist Board?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, May 22, 2012.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've made some great friendships through this board, and that's what keeps me coming back. I also have a lot of respect for several of the posters here, especially the pastors, and feel I can converse with them without being trampled for being female.

Sometimes, when a few bad apples start to stink, I wonder why I bother to stick around, but then God is patient with me and reminds me to be patient with others.

2. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Learn and share :flower:

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I knew it! You're pentecostal!! I knew something wasn't right....:laugh:

Y'all need to quit hiding behind the Baptist name, you bunch of imposters.....:laugh:

J/K Brother Tom.

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I can tell you haven't been here long. Hang in there and put you hip wadders on. Welcome to BB.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I came here so I could be told I was a "heretic", a "backwoods, emotion feeled, experinced based preacher", etc....

Yes, things do get tossed at us from the other side of the debate, and I wonder sometimes why I put myself through this needless torture. But I have learned on this board, so it's not a total flop.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The reason our local church allows Tom to be a member is that he can speak and interpret tongues at the same time. He is also our ambassador to the Universal Church.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I would never call you a heretic. You are theologically challanged. LOL, JK

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is Your Purpose in Coming to Baptist Board?

To read it.

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

You may honestly be onto something, though I know you meant this in jest only. I have never stated I have cornered the market on my theology, but this is what I have come to believe through studying. I am never beyond anyone teaching me. I have found myself to be in error from time-to-time, and will readily admit when I am wrong. I am not beyond being teachable.

10. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Entertainment, much better then network TV and more name calling then Fox News.

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Y'know, you may be onto something. Our church may not be real Baptists because we don't argue very much. Oh, and we have a couple of women who raise their hands in praise on occasion. And we even applaud the special music. And I think I heard someone shout not long ago.

The jury is still out in some minds because we don't use drums. But we have a couple of guys who play guitars (but not the electric kind). And only to accompany themselves.

You can imagine the identity crisis we're going through. I guess if we spoke in tongues that would settle it. But even though we have some pretty high moments in our worship, when we come down we're still speaking English.

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, in the ORB's, shouting is usually not a problem. Some of those Sisters, when God blesses them, shout, and the sound they make, is music to my ears.

Well, you're have the way there. Just as soon as the drums and electric gee-tars come in, you're pentecostal.

How can y'all sing and preach if you don't use your tongues? :tongue3:

Come on, Brother, and fess up. You're either pentecostals in disguise, or "pentecostal-lite". :laugh:

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You seem really solid to me. I wish I knew the original languages other than looking up the words in a dictionary. What little I know about the Lord is from Sunday School, self reading, and discussions like this one. One good thing about this board is that there are many members who have a lot of years of seminary and experience behind them to learn from.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Tom has been known to grab a snake or two out of a box while dancing.

15. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Maybe he's a Bapticostal!!

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

That reminds me of a story:
    A Baptist pastor and a Pentecostal pastor were friends. The Pentecostal pastor was having a revival and invited his Baptist friend. As was their custom, all ministers were invited to sit on the platform.

In the course of the service, a man walked over to a box and pulled out a big snake. The Baptist pastor got really nervous.

"I can't deal with this," he told the Pentecostal pastor. "I've got to get out of here. I don't want to cause a stir. Is there a back way out of here?"

"Nope," said the Pentecostal pastor. "We don't have a back door.'

"Well," said the Baptist pastor, "where do you want one."

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I would say we're "extra-lite." Shoot, we don't even project the words to the hymns on a big screen.

We're pretty innovative. We're trying something new. We let everybody have his own hymnbook to sing from.

18. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say we're "extra-lite." Shoot, we don't even project the words to the hymns on a big screen.

We're pretty innovative. We're trying something new. We let everybody have his own hymnbook to sing from.

Should the power ever go out these churches will be muted.

19. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Well, I apologize for helping derail the thread, but it's all Willis's fault. Now I ask you, where else could you get the kind of conversations we've been having. Where else you get saturneptune's feeble attempts at humor? Where else could you get convicted1's search for closet Holy Rollers? Where else could you find crypto-Landmarkers like me?

Why, right here on the Baptist Board, of course.

20. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Sometimes a little lighthearted banter is what we need. It reminds me why I continue here....there are good things to be found, real fellowship of believers.

Oh...and we rarely project words onto the screen, we too use that rare commodity called a hymnal. The only time we project words is when we're singing a song they've taken out of the hymnals...like Lily of the Valley...and we don't sing out of newfangled hymnals either, ours are from the late 70's but they still took out perfectly good songs and exchanged them for ones no one sings.