1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your thought on washing feet in the church.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by charles_creech78, Jul 13, 2007.

1. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

So what kind of filling will you have if you lose.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Lose what?

3. charles_creech78

lose the race.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some wil never lose any race because they sit on the sidelines as spectators.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, we had an Old Time Feetwashing yesterday and it turned out wonderful. All left with the feeling of being very close to the Lord. We first took Communion and then I read a few scripture on feetwashing and the laying aside of our garments, (shoes and socks) and then I started by pouring water in a basin and washing my Assistant Moderator's feet. Then pans of water were passed around with long white towels which were long enough to gird around our waste and everyone washed each other's feet. When all had finished, I again read some scripture and we sang a song and went out.
    We met back today for our Union meeting and that is when preachers from other churches and other associations preach for us and we judge each other's preaching to see if we all still preaching the same doctrine. amen,

BBob,

6. charles_creech78

Amen brother Bob. That brings back alot of memorys.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now that is quite funny. Your statement would be a good example of a Sunday morning blooper. I would assume you meant to use the word waist.

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I started humming "Precious Memories" while reading this, BBob.

Thanks for sharing.

9. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

I can respect your view Brother Bob about foot washing eventhough I do disagree that foot washing is not one of the ordinances of the church. In the passage about foot washing, when Christ and the disciples came into the Upper Room, there was no servant there to wash their feet.

This is a sign of humility that all of Christians should have. Too many times, I believe there are members in the church who think they are "too good" to scrub the toilets or sweep the floor.

When I did a summer internship as a Youth/Music Pastor, I was asked to water the flowers while the pastor was gone. My first thought was "that's not my job, I am the Youth/Music Pastor, someone else needs to be doing this job." I needed to learn a lesson in humility then. When I started attending a church around here, after a year, I was asked to mow the grass at the church and I was glad to do so. I learned that no matter what job we are doing, whether mowing the grass, teaching Sunday School, singing the choir, etc. should be done for the Glory of God. As a result of mowing the grass at the church, I surrendered to the Lord to become a pastor, which I am today. But I needed to learn that no job is too big or small in the body of Christ.

10. charles_creech78

We do not see this as a Job. John 13:5 After that he poureth water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he girded. John 13:6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, LORD, dost thou wash my feet? John 13:7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter. John 13:8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee NOT THOU HAST NO PART WITH ME. John 13:9 Simon Peter saith to him, Lord not my feet only, but also my hands and my head. John 13:10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all. John 13:11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean. John 13:12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? John 13:13 Ye call me MASTER and LORD: and ye say well; for so I am. John 13:14 If then, you Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. John 13:15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. John 13:16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servent is not greater than his Lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. John 13:17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them. John 13:18 I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me. john 13:19 Now I tell you before it come, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I am he. John 13:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me. In this scripture he was saying they was not clean because he wash there feet. But they was clean all over. Did Jesus wash your feet? Are you a born again Christain ? If you are . Jesus christ has washed your feet. Because you are cleaned all over. And if your Lord and Master has washed your feet . Then ye should clean each others. But he knows whom he has chosen. This is a spiritual washing. When he washed there feet it was a spiritual washing. That is the reason he said ye do not know what I do know but hear after. You are washed made white in the blood of the lamb. If you never had your feet washed you will never understand what Jesus has done. If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me. Has Jesus washed you.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thanks all for the good comments.

BBob,

12. CheeseCrackerKidd

CheeseCrackerKidd New Member

In answer to the Title of the Thread, I have a question...

Before? or after Services?

Frankly, I would rather catch 'em at the door so the one's who come to worship are not distracted, or overcome by foot odors. Put a basin on the porch and provide a valet.:laugh::wavey:

I cannot find foot washing done in Church in the Scripture... only in a home.

13. charles_creech78

If Jesus asked you to wash his feet would you.

#113 charles_creech78, Jul 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2007
  14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

why in the world don't you read your Bible then? Also, you are not funny, maybe a little naive.

15. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

Yes I am a Christian and have been for over 28 years. PRAISE THE LORD!!! I don't need to have my feet washed to understand what He did for me. I have His word that I have trusted by faith.

I don't remember seeing this earlier in the thread, was Judas ever saved? I don't believe that he was, but he had his feet washed just like the other disciples. When Judas left the Upper room, Satan entered into Judas, and I believe that Judas was possessed by Satan. If he was possessed byt he devil, then he cannot be saved. Also, he is known as the Son of Perdition (John 17:12)

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I believe there was a whole thread on it, and I am like you, I do not believe he was saved either. After all, he was the "son of perdition" , which is eternal damnation.

17. CheeseCrackerKidd

If Jesus came to my house and asked me to wash His feet, I would joyfully wash His feet. If He asked to wash my feet, I would joyjully allow Him to do so.

#117 CheeseCrackerKidd, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2007
  18. CheeseCrackerKidd

I have and do continue to read the Bible. Nowhere in Scripture can one find foot washing in the Church.

Foot washing was mentioned in John 13 and in 1 Timothy 5, but neither is said to be in the Church.

As to being naive, since Scripture does not say the foot washing was done in the Church, why add to Scripture? Isn't there a command against that in the Bible? It is not I who is naive.

19. CheeseCrackerKidd

Judas was not saved, but it is interesting that he was one of the 12 Apostles named by the Lord Jesus Christ.

20. D28guy

D28guy New Member

CheeseCracker...

I dont doubt that one bit. There were no "church" buildings in the scriptures. The early christians gathered in homes.

So if they practiced foot washing in homes it was just like doing it in todays church buildings.

Mike