1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What John 20:22 means ???

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by dan p, Jul 19, 2010.

1. dan p

dan p New Member

Hi to all , and John 20:22 reads , He breathed on them , Receive ye ( the ) Holy Spirit .

#1 , is , Reveive ye (the) Holy Spirit , a correct Translation ?

#2 , No it is NOT , AND WHY , NOT ??

#3 , Because the Greek ARTICLE " THE " is not in the Greek text .

#4 , This means , " Receive Holy Spirit " , is the correct translation in the Textus Receptus .

#5 , What is means then , that when He breaths on them , They Receive that Power of the Holy Spirit and NOT THE INDWELLING of the Holy Spirit .

#6 , Because John 7:39 , says so , that why ?

#7 , And they did not receive the Indwelling of the HS , until Pentecost .

#8 , If the Greek Article had been used , " THE " then it would have meant the Indwelling of the HS , AND THIS IS NOT THE ONLY PLACE WHERE Article is left out .

#1 dan p, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010
  2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

You have started more threads than anyone I know.

3. dan p

dan p New Member

How many ?

Hi RB , and you have 4304 replies to my 82 . But I believe in QUALITY OP ?

4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

What I am saying is I have not seen someone start so many new threads...ever. Carry on...:type:

5. brucebaptist

brucebaptist New Member

Psalm 12:6-7
    6The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
    7Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

Matthew 4:4
    4But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Proverbs 30:5-6
    5Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
    6Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Mark 13:31
    31Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Psalm 138:2
    2I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

1 Peter 1:23
    23Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Isaiah 40:8
    8The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.

God has promised to preserve His Word. Since He cannot lie, than His Word exists today. If you're using the KJ, you have God's Words. they used formal equivalence on the KJ instead of dynamic equivalance...

http://www.wayoflife.org/database/dynamic.html

since He has preserved His Word, why invest time trying to find errors or retranslate it?

imo, we should invest our time studying the Word and learning to obey it and follow it and not try to change it. just like the gates of hell has not prevailed against His true Church... the gates of hell has not prevailed against His Word either...

God rocks, the pope stinks.