1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What killed snake handler Coots

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Feb 18, 2014.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, don't rip on me...

2. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They have the same bible we all do so I would question that a seminary could fix this. Willfully ignorant people are not interested in truth.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No. Common sense and logic told me just because "they" did something doesn't mean it is for everyone. This goes back to my toddlerhood and being told "if so and so jumps off a bridge, does that mean you will too?"

This is not a seminary issue one way or the other, nor does one have to be taught this by someone with a seminary degree. Its simple logic...something a child can understand. What this pastor did was tempt God, plain and simple. Had nothing to do with his biblical knowledge.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Just dawned on me, that is exactly one of the three temptations Satan used on Christ. Satan does not seem really bright either, offering Christ the kingdoms of the world that are already His.

5. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What makes you believe they already belonged to Jesus?

6. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Have you never watched the movie Spencer's Mountain ?

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

He was portrayed in the movie "Deliverance".....

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    wew have, under the "how to study the bible" in both wed night service, and in adult SS class!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    there are wheats and tares running together in charasmatic/pentacostal churches, as many really have been save dby grace of god, but have fallen for the junk of modern day Apsotles/prophets/additional revelations etc, while many of the so called Apsotles/prophets/preachers are lost and teaching docreines of and from demons!

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

This is absolutely wrong.

This is absolutely the kind of arrogant ignorance that killed Jamie Coots.

An even HALFWAY decent preacher will have the humility to know that he needs the body of Christ to help him learn, understand and expound the Word of God.

The Body of Christ consists of those living today in this world and those who've gone on before.

The most pompous, arrogant, conceited thing any human being has ever done in the history of planet earth is think that God speaks to him and he need not consult with a multitude of counselors.

Hitler, Napoleon, Genghis Khan were no more pompous and arrogant than a man who calls himself a preacher who does not seek out a multitude of counselors- and not just a handful of people in his own holler just as backwards as himself.

There is NO GREAT ARROGANCE in Earth or Hell than that within a preacher who does not rigorously seek out the guidance of the larger Body of Christ in this world and throughout history.

I say again, NO ONE has ever paralleled such arrogance- not the builder of the Tower of Babel, not Nebuchadnezer- NO ONE has ever been as arrogant as a preacher who thinks what you purport in your comments above.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It's not what I would have thought of you- its what I would have thought of your pastor.

I would have thought that your pastor should have sought in his Bible studies the multitude of counselors that is the body of work from the body of Christ both living in this world today and having passed on but being dead yet speak to us through their writings.

A well studied pastor will connect himself with such a body of work from the Body of Christ and his people will greatly benefit from his humility in doing so.

#51 Luke2427, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
  12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You ignored the fact that the King James Bible says, "These signs shall follow them that believe... they shall take up serpents.

I don't care about your toddlerhood. I care that you know how to rightly interpret the Word of God.

Millions of "ministers" in backwater hollers like this and in big cities don't have the slightest idea how to interpret Scripture.

He did not tempt God if he was obeying God. He thought he was obeying God because he did not have the benefit of being educated on how to properly interpret Scripture.

You may have that benefit. If you do, you can thank someone who went to seminary and passed that down to you. Because it is NOT common sense. The way we know that it is not common sense is that it is not common.

Most people are idiots. The Bible says that. But also we see it every day. It's how people like Obama get elected to office. Most people are morons. They are sheep having no shepherd. Sheep are naturally stupid. Most people are stupid.

Common sense in a world of stupid people is... stupidity.

#52 Luke2427, Feb 20, 2014
  13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

1. I don't care what the King James says, I care about the meaning.
    2. Millions of seminary trained people don't know what the Scriptures mean. We see that on this very board.
    3. You don't know what education he had nor how he interpreted Scripture.
    4. Nowhere from the story do we get he was trying to obey God.
    5. Don't tell me who I can thank. Only an idiot would blindly read something and think it must apply to everyone in all situations.
    6. Most people wouldn't handle a poisonous snake making your most people being idiots proven false right there.

14. thisnumbersdisconnected

In answer to the question asked in the thread title, the snake he was handling killed Snake Handler Coots.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will they now lay hands on him, and believe God will raise Him up from dead now?

16. thisnumbersdisconnected

If they did, would that surprise you? It wouldn't me.

17. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

My answer is above.

#57 salzer mtn, Feb 20, 2014
  18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh my that is rich coming from you.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that is what is sad about this! How well meaning, but very wrong people have been lied to, and destroyed by heeding doctrines of Demons!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So without Seminary training, none of us can understand and apply the bible corectly, so the Holy Spirit is a bad teacher?