1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What kind of Baptist Church would you start?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Bronconagurski, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not once did this so-called preacher give one Bible verse. Need I say more?

First, you should not start a church unless there is a need. Yes, there is a great need thur out the USA, the World, ect, but there is no need to start a new work just down the street from another Bible believing church (unless there is a major disagreement on the color of the carpet :laugh:)
    Also some men need to "interim" under an established and experience pastor. I have seen several young preachers make major errors in their first few years in the ministry. Bible College is great - bu it also needs to be balanced by experience.
    As far as a BA, Masters, Dr; I would think that depends on the congregation. A highly educated and or large church would be better served by a man who has seminary or higher. A small blue collar church may actually be intimidated by a man with an alphabet soup behind his name.

Personally, I am not one for taking "Baptist" out of the name, but if a church does so, and people are being saved and growing in the Lord, whom am I to criticize.

What kind of Baptist church would I start? A Bible believing one! I have started several churches - all as IBF, the last, we later decided to affiliate (not join) the SBC.

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me that planning on starting a church while just beginning the educational process is putting the horse before the cart. I would advise the following:

1. Get you education and I agree with the OP, a minimum of a masters and better to have a Ph.D.

2. Use the time he is in school preparing for his ministry and to pray and search for what type of ministry God wants him to follow. It may be church planting, but then again it may well be something else. Don't limit God by selecting a particular path now ... other than receiving the best education he can have.

Not everyone is or should be a church planter.
    Not everyone is or should be an evangelist.
    Not everyone is or should be a pastor.

Find out what God wants him to do.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Why would we be speculating about your son starting a church now, when he's years away from completing your expectations of the education level he should achieve?

Why are we discussing the type of church that you would start, since your son is the one who has been called by God to become a pastor?

IMO, if/when our Lord calls him to start a church, the Holy Spirit will guide him in the decisions made at that time. On one hand, he may never start a church, as we don't know how Christ will use him as a shepherd in His Church. OTOH, he may establish many over the lifetime of his service to God.

It isn't about our wants, ideas, needs, goals, desires, plans. It's all about HIS plan for our lives, whether layman or pastor, as individuals in His service.

4. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

For less than two cents, here's my thoughts.

Bear in mind I live out in "macedonia" so to speak.

Rather than a ph.d. in religious matters, I'd encourage him to survey the parts of the country that seriously have NO churches where the gospel is preached.

I'd have him either get a degree in something that would support him in those areas or get him into a training program for them.

Also get him seriously studying ON HIS OWN with a good pastor and online sources, because he is for sure going to need to be a self starter and able to keep himself fed.

Let God choose the field--son will know that by which place WITHOUT the gospel preached he can find a job.

And then start a simple community church and teach the truth.

Maybe he'll wind up in Loco Hills or on Johnson's Mesa or some remote ranch area or in the oilfield in parts of eastern Montana or western North Dakota. Maybe he'll be out at Gobernador or Lindrith. Maybe he'll be needed at Campo or Walsh or Killdeer.

Many parts of this country have low population density. Many of them have a few map dots but no gospel preaching church. And many of the people surrounding those map dots face 15-20 miles of dirt road and then as much blacktop to get to church.

I hear so much that the church has gone feminized.

God grant us some strong men looking not for a fiefdom, but willing to work with strong backs to make a living to carry the gospel to those with NO churches.

5. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

Thanks for your input. If God calls him to do this, it will be in an area that needs a bible believing church, as that would be the reason for starting the church. It could very well be in a remote area, or it could be in a city where no one will go with a bible believing church, I don't know. We are talking about at least 6 years between now and then, so the main thing is for him to get as much education as possible. Before God called him into the ministry he was looking at going into the nuclear field in the Navy to design weapons systems. He was his class Valedictorian, took physics and calculus in high school, and can fix about anything with his hands. If not the Navy, we wanted to be an engineer. A lot of people think he is throwing his life away by going into the ministry, I know, as they think he can make a lot of many elsewhere. I am glad he doesn't see things that way. Others think he is too smart. I have even heard sermons from the pulpit by visiting preachers that downgrade very smart people, saying God doesn't call many of them, or that the smartest ones in his bible college never made it very far after college. But I know as well as my son does that the main thing is to be led by the Holy Spirit and to abide in the Vine and let God be responsible for the results, as God is the only one that can give the increase. I have already talked to him about possibly having to work a public job should he start a church. Right now he works all day on Saturday, has another job every other weekend that he works nights Friday and Saturday, and moves the chairs back and forth in our church every Sunday as the Sunday School and Christian School share the same classrooms, so he isn't afraid to work.

6. Bronconagurski

I should be insulted by all the advice I am getting like, "Let the Holy Spirit lead", etc., as if he has just randomly thought about all this and has had no godly advice whatsoever. As I said in my OP, this particular bible college trains young men to do strongly consider this very thing we are discussing, and since the Holy Spirit led him to this college, then need I explain any further? Sheesh, can't God lead a young man to the college he wants and begin to prepare him from the very beginning?

As far as the type of church I would start, someone asked me my opinion in another post. Did you read the OP or any of the other posts? This is getting redundant. I already said in the OP that my son has already talked to me about helping him should he decide to start a church. I will be retired by then, as I am an older dad. Look, I appreciate all the advice, but I have been saved for 30 years and I know the main thing is to let God lead. I am merely looking for ideas, or experience others have had in this type of ministry. I wasn't born (physically or spiritually) just yesterday.

#26 Bronconagurski, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2012
  7. 12strings

12strings Active Member

If it were me, I would most likely start an independent Baptist church that would be affiliated with the Southern Baptist convention, and and might possibly lean in the reformed direction... :) But that's Just me...

As to education, I'm going to start another thread...

8. Bronconagurski

All right, sounds good, I look forward to reading the thread.

9. jprieto

jprieto New Member

If all Baptist churches drop the Baptist banner from the name, one would have to spend time in dozens of churches, and listens to hundreds of sermons, before figuring out if baptist doctrines are taught.

Why be sneeky?

Read Baptist history - there is much to be proud about.

Keep the Baptist banner on the name and help other baptists relocating in the area, or others looking for a church, save time and money in finding you.

I always favor labeling things as they are.

It is not the church planter, for its funders, that will make the church grow ... rather, it is the power of God -- nothing else.

So if white people get a bad rap, will you go around covering your skin in another color to avoid turning people off?

Stick to truth .... say what you are, and be what you say

IN Paul times, the churches he planted identified with and acknowledge the leadership from the church at Jerusalem ... so there was not confusion back then

10. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Yeah, read the NT, those Christians were not confused about ANYTHING!!!!:BangHead:

11. Bronconagurski

Paul said he would become all things to all people that he might win some. Wonder what that meant, exactly? As far as dropping Baptist, a well known bible college, Piedmont, has dropped Baptist from its name and it is now known as Piedmont International University. Supposedly the name Baptist is not well-received in countries of which they were trying to recruit students. I am not saying by son will take Baptist out of the name, but I was throwing it out there to get feedback. You have to admit that people always remember the bad things and overlook all the good.

12. Sminasian

Sminasian Member

And GOOD( God) ALWAYS overcomes " bad" ( satan, deception). To take Baptist out of a church name is like the Jehovas. They NEVER tell you they are Jehova, they go around it. Like I said, we are to be IN the world, not OF the world.

13. Bronconagurski

No, it is not like the Jehovahs. They are apostates. Let's say you have two churches that teach the same doctrine. One is a Baptist church, and one is simply Calvary Church. How does having Baptist on the church sign make it a better church?

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some areas known to be very critical of the term 'baptist"...

many menbers of my church, including sen pastor, came out of Catholic church, so we have chosen to not use the term. as much of our outreach is among catholic and other main stream churches in area!

15. Bronconagurski

So do you feel like that has widened your scope of outreach? In your area, if you had Baptist as part of the name, would some people automatically avoid your church?

16. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

We've transferred around a lot.

I'm against removing the denom from your name if you have any sort of denom affiliation.

Churches do it trying to reach a target group that might have a bad thought about the denom label.

But let me assure you, that backfires. You definitely don't want a Baptist--or AoG--or Lutheran--or whatever church.

You THINK you found a congenial bunch at this non denom and then whammo--find you are neck deep in a group you detest?

Yeah, that won you over. Right. Now you will not only leave but tell folks what a bunch of liars that church is.

Being open, honest, and up front pays off. Sure some folks won't darken the door UNTIL and UNLESS the Lord draws them.

That's just fine. There is a clear line in the sand that we want folks to understand.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

The good Lord will make things clear.

18. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a dream to start a reformed SBC church in the western half of the states and out of the Bible belt. I want to go to places like Oregon or Washington where there is not a great deal of influence for the gospel there. California or Nevada or other places like that are also up for grabs.

Whenever (if ever) I finish my ThM at SEBTS, I'm considering doing a PhD at GGBTS in part to network w/ like-minded guys to make this church plant a reality (also b/c it is shorter and w/ a ThM I don't want another 60+ credits). But that is years down the road for me.

My desire is to have a plurality & equality of elders to lead the congregation into a deep understanding of the Gospel. It will be very gospel centered. And by that, I don't mean a cheap presentation but one that is extremely unappealing to the natural man. One that is foolishness and a scandal. One that calls sinners to repent, believe, and follow Jesus. One that says when Jesus calls a person, he bids him come and die. One that the only explanation for any conversion is that the Holy Spirit did the work to change the heart toward such an extreme message as the Gospel. So it will be missional, but not numbers focused. It will be about making disciples not converts.

As far as the name goes, it would not have "baptist" in the title. Many reformed SBC churches have done this and have seen great growth and revival. Not saying the name was the reason, but it doesn't hurt either. ;)

#38 Greektim, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2012
  19. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Contemporary worship, elder leadership, and sermons which balance preaching and teaching. My church would practice Believer's Baptism, give enough to the CP per SBC regulations, but also be free to do missions with other Christians we support in good conscience--without having to give all our mission $ to Annie or Lottie.