1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured WHAT kind of "PHOBE" are you?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, Sep 30, 2014.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I think that those historical terms need to be modernized.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

No need to. Most people understand the historical context in which these trademarked historical terms are used.

The only time anyone makes any noise about the terms being used historically is when they want to portray black people as hypocritical for using the terms but not wanting anyone else to use the terms.

3. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do as I say not as I do is one of the major causes of global warming.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And that's why everyone is being encouraged to treat others as they would want to be treated.

If you were black and didn't want to be called a Negro by white people, I would hope that folks would have enough of the compassion of Christ to put themselves in the same place to understand .

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, one could hope. Only the person being offended can say for sure if they are being offended.

But yet, you have people that will vigorously stand up and proclaim that there is nothing wrong with the name of the Washington NFL team, and if native Americans don't like it, it's tough, and besides the ones protesting it aren't a majority.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

When a term is used to insult and disparage an entire group of people, I say you bite the bullet and change the name.

If the owners were Christians, I would hope that they could see past the money and just do the right thing. But the Redskins, my co-favorite team with the Cowboys, is a brand and the owners don't want to let it go.

The Washington Redskins are the third most valuable NFL team behind the Cowboys and The Patriots. They will give up that name goodwill kicking and screaming. :laugh:

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree with everything you wrote above (after my edit :laugh:). Personally, I'm not offended by the name but if some people are, we ought not to dismiss their concerns.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baloney. They need to get a life.

It's a football team, not a PC statement.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some say the word Negro is insulting.

If I am not mistaken - there are other countries in the world - that do use that term - without an insulting intent.

For example, In Portugal ,

So if a Black was to go to such a country and was called a Negro - should he feel insulted or realize he is in a different culture?

First, the name Redskins is NOT an insult.
    If you were to ask Indians why is the term Redskin an insult - I would contend, many would have no ideal - only that they have been told its an insult.

Now, Zaac I have a question for you - do you consider the nickname for Wake Forest to be an insult - The Demon Deacons?, how about the American (Baseball) league franchise that was formerly known as the Devil Rays?

#29 Salty, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
  10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How "compassionate" was Christ when he told the gentile woman who wanted him to heal her daughter, "It isn't right to take the children's food and throw it to the dogs"?

ed. There is no reason to quote her answer and the final result, as I know it well, and we're talking about labels and epithets, aren't we?

#30 Alcott, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
  11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    THANK YOU!!!:thumbs:

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's because other countries don't have the same history of treating Blacks in the same manner as they were treated in the US? Whites did not begin to call Blacks Negroes in this country out of an affinity for them or because the Spanish for their skin color was negro.

Most black people have brown-toned skin and the Spanish word for that is marron. They didn't start calling themselves Negroes.

To some it is.

Same thing with the "N" word. Just because they don't know doesn't make it less of an insult.

Is there a people group called the Demon Deacons or the Devil Rays?

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It's 1/32 of a quasi-company called the NFL. The NFL is a brand that operates off its image. That's why they are in fix it mode over the domestic abuse.

When the public starts to turn against you, you protect your money. The other 31 teams are not going to take the PR nightmare just because 1 team wants to keep a name.

14. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How 'bout dem Saints?

Talking about names of teams, the atheists of our nation have been asleep at the wheel. Shouldn't they be upset with a team that calls themselves the "Saints?"

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes - in most Baptist churches

interesting link

16. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am insulted by the use of the name Viking... especially after last night. :laugh:

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

There's an ethnic group of people called demon deacons in most churches?

19. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are quite correct. The last time I was in Brazil I saw a young black man wearing a T-shirt. On the front of the shirt were the words:

"100% Negro."

At that time I thought, appropriate in Brazil but not such a good idea to wear this shirt in the States. There are cultural differences.

20. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NAACP & UNCF are misleading and send a message that these terms are okay sometimes when they are not okay all the time. Hypocrisy has been determined to be the sole cause of global warming.