1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What led me to preterism....

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Grasshopper, Aug 31, 2010.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Jer. 31:34 and Heb. 8:12 God will not remember their sins no more which I take to be forgiveness of sin. In Heb. 9:15 the writer thinks there is something eternal inherited in the new covenant.

2. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Allow me to comment of the two statements separated by ........

How can an indivdual be at one time a big proponent of premil dispy-ism and at a later date dismiss the theology based on what the core of the theological system is not? It invites the question, does the individual know what dispensationalism is all about?

And yet, could I conclude that the message of Logos1 is that the preterist is right on track claiming that Christ returned AD 70? In the total absence of any historical evidence (secular or church), can those of us who disagree with preterism call it's teachings "entertaining" or a "biblical Grimm's Fairy Tale"? Or would we be unkind to make such a statement?

Food for thought.

3. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    Refresh my memory please. What are the terms of the Covenant mentioned in Jer. ch. 31?

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hopefully mine will be 50 years or so younger.

HankD

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you are so right RAdam:

1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.​

but whatever it is - we will be like Him, after all we will spend eternity with Him.

That's a long time.

HankD

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The terms are that God will do it all. In the first the people said all that the Lord has said we will do.

7. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I'm asking is not a trick question. Would you like for me to re-phrase the question?

8. Truth Files

Truth Files New Member

What led hopper to preterism?

I know.... if he asks me I will tell him

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes because I did not think I was following you from the start.

10. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK,

In the old testiment book of Jerimiah, beginning chapter 31, verse 27 and extending to verse 40, it describes the terms of the New Covenant that you mentioned in your earlier post to me.

I'm asking that you read the actual verses and then list the terms of the new covenant right here on this discussion board so that we can see that it is addressed to the sons of Jacob and not the gentile church and it makes no mention of eternal life in heaven.

11. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Lets take a look at that passage. Would you say it pictures two fold of sheep or only one? Amos 3:1,2 maybe written around 700BC. Do you think these only known by God could be those foreknown in Romans 8:29. If Jer. 31 is two fold of sheep and Jesus came unto his own and his own received him not which fold did he come to? After all God had given a bill of divorce to one of them per Jeremiah 3:8 Who are the other sheep not of this fold in John 10?

I could give more but maybe later. Just some food for thought.

12. lastday

lastday New Member

Thomas15 and Percho,
    Please include me as a supporter of your position...at least for a start.
    Mel

13. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's back up for a second. True, Jehovah God knew from the beginning who the elect are. This is easy for God given His great power.

If you study the Old Testament with the purpose of gaining understanding of what God expected of the Jews you will find that their task was different from that of which He expects of the elect in this church age. Another way of saying this is the Ministry of Israel pre-resurrection is different from the mission of the Church post Acts ch 1. If you do not agree with me, which is of course your right and privledge, then let's stop righ here as we are not on the same page.

The mission or ministry of the church and our participation in it does not determine our status before God at the judgement. We could put in all kinds of service to the church but if we are not trusting in the shed blood of Christ, we are not saved from judgement. The same would apply to OT Israel. Being Jewish and the recipient of the Abrahamic and other covenants or adhearance to the law of Moses does not determine one's salvation, for the OT Jew, it's trusting in the unknown and not yet ressurected savior, Jesus for forgiveness of sin. Jesus tells us that Abraham looked forward to the day when Jesus would appear. Abraham was trusting in Jesus 100s of years before He actually arrived on earth. Keep in mind that salvation is by grace through faith in all ages, not just the church age. Granted, true repentence post resurrection will result in faith in Christ and no one Jew or Gentile will in this age or the age to come enter into a right relationship outside of trusting in Christ.

I think you would do well to consider the possibility that the two sheepfolds have different ministries and that God made promises to one of those ministries that he has not delivered on as of yet. You may consider some of the Biblical evidence that God will make good on those promises in the future. Considering that the elect of this age do not do well with respect to keeping God's precepts why should God divorce any ministry for disobedience when both ministries are guilty of the same offense? After all, does not God hate divorce? Has not God said that if a people repent and return to Him, he will return the them?

All of this of course depends on instruction in the written Word of God. If there is no evidence that God has not made promises to the Jews that are everlasting them I have nothing of value to say on the matter. If however God says in the Bible that at some point in history all Israel will be saved, then I would submitt for your consideration that he has in mind to raise up Jews of the elect and bring them to faith in Christ and keep his promises to restore them to the land. This act of bringing those elect descendents of Abraham through Issac through Jacob to faith in Christ is what the tribulation is for. At that time 144 thousand of those elect descendents of Abraham will proclaim Jesus as Lord.

Jehovah will end this age in a spectacular way, just like he has ended every other age as mentioned in the Bible. How much more spectacular than to bring all Israel into a right relationship with him through Christ before the whole world and in doing so keep his promise to restore them to the land?

14. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

I can share with you what lead me to preterism, the Apostles belief that Christ was coming back in their generation--after all they are the ones inspired by the only spirit, the heart felt conviction of the Holy Spirit, and the knowledge that all the bible comes into harmony when read from that perspective.

“Your understanding of the inspiration of Scripture is utterly astounding!” Mel

Why thank you Mel!