1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Makes a "GREAT" Christian School?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Dr. Bob, Feb 8, 2002.

1. jmbertrand

jmbertrand Guest

This thread began with an interesting question, and I'd like to address it by suggesting a few principles:

1. A Christian institution should accept the Bible as its starting point for knowledge. It should not use the Bible to justify some non-biblical starting point.

2. A Christian institution should have a clear, precise confessional statement. It should not champion particular millennial theories, Bible versions or cultural norms.

3. A Christian institution should be committed to engagement with the culture. It should not assimilate with mainstream thought, nor run from it.

4. A Christian institution should present opposing viewpoints accurately. It should not erect straw men and then demonstrate how easily they are demolished.

5. A Christian institution should teach its students to reject sin and repudiate unbelieving thought. It should not expect to insulate its students from either.

6. A Christian institution should regulate behavior in such a way that students who live in harmony with its rules grow mentally and spiritually. It should not foster duplicity in the interests of conformity.

I agree with all of the original suggestions, assuming that the fundamentalism in mind is the Warfield kind, not the Hyles kind; and that end-times theories not be mandatory. As far as specifics, I would only add that the ideal Christian institution would be very concerned about the threat of 'pseudo-knowledge' within popular Christianity and would insist on rigorous thinking at all costs.

Mark

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    J Mark - appreciate your observations, though not agreeing with them all. Really wondering what you meant by #2
    I see this as 100% contradictory.

IF it has a clear precise doctrinal statement, it will of necessity take a "position" on the millenium, the church, inspiration, and separation (ethical, from the "world"). I applaud schools that take a stand.

Those with whom I agree it is the RIGHT stand, I recommend to my teens. Others are entitled to their own positions, clearly stated.

3. jmbertrand

jmbertrand Guest

Dr. Bob,

There are some contested issues -- for example, the doctrine of election -- which are resolved (or ought to be) by studying Scripture. There are others, like millenial theory, that only seem to be amplified. What I'm suggesting is an institution that is clear about what it confesses, but does not elevate the question of millenial theories and Bible versions to the creedal level. Since it's my "ideal" I'm talking about, it has to reflect my ideals-- and as enjoyable as I find it to discuss millenial theories (and Bible translation), I have never been able to subscribe to one view without reservation. If I ever get to the point where I feel comfortable being dogmatic about a particular millenial theory, I'll stop calling it a theory and act as if it's as plain as day to anyone who will read the Bible. Until then, I'll stick to my uhmillenialism. [​IMG]

Now, what if I stirred the pot and said that in my ideal Christian institution, every student would have to be a liberal arts major, no matter what he planned to 'do with his life'?

Mark

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd say AMEN, BROTHER! Preach it! It grieves me to see young ministers coming out of ifb colleges (no seminary, of course) who don't know English, can't tell much about history, geography, philosophy is a joke, math/science if they had a good high school. Most ifb colleges do not require much psychology or sociology.

And most offer a wimpy B.S. degree instead of a B.A. And most of the grads couldn't even tell the difference in the two!

Think a core of 75+ credits of liberal arts is MANDATORY, along with a Bible core and a specialized major or minor. THEN they might have a prayer of being prepared!

Are we the only ones to see this weakening of our ifb colleges?

5. crazycat

crazycat Member

I liked every commit except for the accredation part. Who are these Bible colleges need to be accredited by? A wicked government that is against God and church and state. Dont get me wrong I think accredation is good for many majors, but pastoral NO! But I think the students should beaware of that before they enroll. They should realize their degree is basically worthless in the secular workforce. That should not be a problem because theses same people do not want to be in the secular world anyway. BTW is BJU, PCC, HAC, TTU or Crown accreditated?

6. jmbertrand

jmbertrand Guest

Well, I suppose I will preach it! There are plenty of people who would object to requiring a liberal arts education, particularly for someone who is preparing for ministry, but they overlook the fact that this student will one day have to engage with the world, and will need the ability to think critically, will need to be culturally literate and difficult to "dismiss." The Christian mind has been so systematically neglected in evangelical, let alone fundamentalist, circles that, with a few exceptions, it hardly exists. To the extent that Christians are thinking in the church, they are doing it outside the church's precincts, borrowing assumptions and methodologies from outside the body of Christ--and even if they aren't, they find that their most bitter opponents in theology, evangelism, apologetics, etc. are not unbelievers but fellow Christians who resent their "elitism" or their undemocratic emphasis on "learning." Young fundamentalists are presented with the choice between thinking and believing as if the two are incompatible--and I can't help but think that at least part of the problem is that the movement's leaders have not tended to be educated in the liberal arts.

One of the things that has come as a surprise to me as I've come to embrace Reformed theology is the number of luminaries on the scene today who started, like me, in fundamentalism. I'm afraid that the "brain drain" will continue until the movement stops cranking out pulpiteers and starts producing thoughtful, reflective servant-scholars with a zeal informed by knowledge.

Mark

7. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Wait a minute! I have both a secular BS and MS degree! And neither was "wimpy." I have yet to see an engineering degree which could be called "wimpy!" [​IMG]

8. crazycat

crazycat Member

But who is suppose to offer accredation? I just remember when I took an old testament class at a state school the professor openly bragged about being married 21 times and he is now gay. Is that who we want to train our preachers? I will have to agree that pastors do need to be taught how to be critical thinker and to be knowledgable about the world and its views and values. But I will argue about having the world train our pastors.

9. crazycat

crazycat Member

BTW I have a WHIMPY BS in NURSING from a state school. I would put that up against most BA Degree. In college when I was learning chemistry and calculus I seen fellow roomies learn how to cut out finger puppets for the education degree.
    I have taken pyshcology and sociology and for the most part they are a joke with the exception of maybe Maslow and Ericsons therories.

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wimpy is in the eye of the beholder. While a B.S. can be a fairly rigorous degree [cf. Dr. Cassidy's B.S.(Eng)]. For a divinity student it means no languages (foreign, ancient or Biblical) were studied and passed for the degree. A pastoral studies degree without at least two years of NT Greek, the mind boggles. :eek: I'm not saying every graduate needs to pass Greek with an A but a solid C does wonders for man's thinking and evaluating skills. Imagine how valid Dr. Cassidy's engineering degree would be without calc or physics?

Ergo, Dr. Griffin's reference to a wimpy Bible college BS in Biblical\Pastoral Studies\Theology.

In His service,
    Keith