1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What makes the difference?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jul 12, 2007.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Who said we have to do it over and over? I never said anything like that.

Why don't you just stop here and stop making up and adding new stuff to complicate the issue?

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, if Paul said to "examine yourselves" after you had already bore witness with the Spirit of God, must of been a concern that maybe you were fooled in that bearing witness.

I don't make up nothing, I give you the turth with scripture. If you can show me something I made up, show me. Are you telling me that you only examined yourself one time after you read what Paul wrote or have you examined yourself many times as I have. I look in the mirror quite often, I want to make it as sure as I can

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Getting back to the thread: What makes the difference?
    As Npet pointed out, you can go an almost infinite number of "becauses" if you want to, which if course are often true, but at some point you HAVE to either come back to what the Bible says:
    That they are not of the ones given by the father, they are not elect, they are not predestined, they are of their father, the devil! You can say it many ways.
    The only other option is to keep denying the clear text of the Bible.

Unfortunately, many have done just that, Npet has kindly shown how the Bible has a very simple answer to the question. It is really quite simple!

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yea, bad for all the rest.

5. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

I thank that God has a answer for this. John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were Evil. John 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. John 3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you notice that phrase "wrought in God"? This tells us why some will come to the light. Otherwise, you have salvation by human merit.

7. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. :thumbs:

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

what about "lest his deeds be reproved"? Forgiven!

Not good works is it, such as "believe"?

#48 Brother Bob, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2007
  9. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    reproved here means "rebuked" or "exposed." Those who do not come to the light (as all do not by default) do so because they do not want their evil deeds to be exposed and rebuked for what they are. Those who do come to the light make their deeds manifest that they are wrought in God. Those who come to the light do so because God caused it by changing their hearts.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If they are dead to God, how would they know their deeds would be exposed?

seems his sins have to be rebuked, not him.
    elegcw
    elegcho
    el-eng'-kho
    of uncertain affinity; to confute, admonish:--convict, convince, tell a fault, rebuke, reprove. (Is "tell a fault" kinda like confessing?)

#50 Brother Bob, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2007
  11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why would a corpse care?

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Nice try but you are avoiding the question again.
    What makes the difference?
    Why does one man choose one way while another chooses differently?

13. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Like I said, there will be no amswer that will satisfy the Calvinist's need for an answer.

The Bible is clear that every man is given enough light to know of God, what he does with that light is his own choice. As for us "free willers", we are simply not going to confine God to some box that man has built in order to "rationally" understand Him.

About the stupidest thing ever witnessed is a Calvinist arguing with a free willer. DOn't you tulip sniffers know we were predestinated to argue with you? Don't get so upset!

14. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

In other words: "Here is the answer I wanted. I am not going to accept any other answer. Any other answer given, even if it is logical (and possibly right) will be immediately overlooked and considered irrational and wrong, because it is not the answer I wanted you to give that I already had answered in my head. Npet, thank you for answering the answer I wanted, for it is the only answer I was going to accept and the only one I will ever believe. I am predestinated to be this way."

15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Equally as stupid is when "free wiilers" say that calvinism kills evangelism etc and then say we are stupid when we actually do something.

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I don't recall any free willers giving any logical answer.
    The only sort of honest answer was "I don't know"

I don't know is a great answer for anything the Bible is SILENT on.
    The Bible is NOT silent on this issue, therefore it is not an acceptable answer.

So, Bro. Williams, you say a logical answer has been given, I must have missed it, could you please repeat it? Perhaps copy and paste?

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

John 3:
    16: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    17: For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
    18: He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
    19: And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
    20: For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
    21: But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

You won't even accept the answer God give you.

If you read the above scripture with an "open" mind, you will see that both groups had a chance, depended on who or what they "loved". If those who loved darkness would reprove their deeds, they too could come to the light. Simple but it don't work for "closed minded" people.

#57 Brother Bob, Jul 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2007
  18. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

If you need to think that to comfort the lack of work in that dead orthodox belief system.

19. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Thank you Brother Bob. THat was one answer, along with Romans 1:17-32, that I would have gave.

As stated numerous times though, the answer will not be accepted because it is not the answer that a Calvinist wants.

A good Bible study for a Calvinist would be to search out the word "willing" in their Bible. One would be amazed how many individuals were "willing" or "not willing" to do something.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Dale, I have a question for you. Why does God choose one person but not choose another? I guarantee you're answer will be "I don't know". So, based on your own logic, calvinism is invalid because you do not have an answer other than "I don't know".