1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What ministries - take 2

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Feb 12, 2007.

?
  1. Local Missions

17 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. Homeless

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Grief Share (Lost of Loved Ones)

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Alcoholics Anonymous

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Foreign Missions

20 vote(s)
    100.0%
  6. Habitat for Humanity

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Food Pantries

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  8. Single Moms

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. Shut Ins

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  10. Pregnancy Centers (Abortion Alternatives)

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What ministries is your church involved in? The first poll did not allow multiple entries.

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Our church is involved in many ministries (some not mentioned in the poll).

We are not involved with AA, because we have Reformer's Unanimous at our church twice a week. It has a much better success rate.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There has been some discussion of our church sponsoring an AA group. What makes "Reformer's Unanimous" better? (I can't find anything on it.)

4. I Am Blessed 24

Reformer's Unanimous is Bible based and the program is based on God's Words for overcoming addictions. 90% of the people finishing the course end up getting saved. Many have become faithful members of our church family.

More and more judges are including Reformer's Unanimous in their sentencing for DUI's instead of AA, or another secular program. PTL!

Here is a link:
    http://reformu.com/

5. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Can you list which ones are not listed? What else does your church do?

Note -- I was specifically staying away from in-church ministries (for example, youth ministry, music ministry, etc.).

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

AA supports the beleif in any diety, pick one, any higherpower you want to make up.

7. I Am Blessed 24

We have a nursing home ministry. I guess that could be the same as a 'shut-in' ministry, but it's not.

The nursing home ministry is for people in the nursing home and the shut-in ministry is for people who are no longer able to come to church. We make sure we visit them, take them a video tape of the service each week, and tend to whatever other needs they may have.

We also have a ministry to the developmentally challenged in our community. We call it our "Special Friends" ministry. We take them on field trips, bring them to church, recognize their birthdays, etc. This may be considered an in-church ministry, I suppose.

We have a bus ministry that covers our whole county.

We also have a "Fish Bowl" ministry. We have goldfish bowls on the counters of many businesses in town and we keep them filled with audio tapes of the pastor's sermons. It has been a great outreach program.

We have a radio ministry "Heavenly Helps for Earthly Problems". We have a "Tape of the Month" club (which is a CD).

We volunteer at the local Crisis Pregnancy Center.

We distribute food within the church to needy families, but we do not have a food pantry.

We open our ministry center to various activities which has brought a number of unchurched people to Christ. For example, three mornings a week, the public can use the gym for 'walking'. Some of our people walk with them and witness to them while walking.

I guess I don't differentiate between 'in church' ministries and outside of church ministries very well. They're all church ministries. Sorry. :saint:

8. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it is accurate to label AA as a secular program, since its heritage and practice are explicitly religious.

I don't think this kind of KJVO, Jack Hyles-influenced residential work program is a good fit for our church.

9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my understanding, which admittedly is second-hand, that AA teaches the historic spiritual transformation practices of the Christian church. While AA doesn't insist that you rely on Christ, in practice, the majority of successful AA members do.

10. I Am Blessed 24

As far as I know, Jack Hyles is dead and has nothing to do with Reformer's Unanimous.

Please do not hi-jack this thread into a "I hate Jack Hyles and KJVO's" thread.

Have you ever attended an AA meeting? If not, I suggest you do so before calling it Christian based.

Have you ever attended an RU meeting? If not, I suggest you do so before calling it KJVO (or Jack Hyles) based.

I have been to both.

I went to AA with a friend once, and I've never heard such a constant stream of foul language in my life! A lot of them have substituted cigarettes and/or street drugs for the alcohol, and they are only there for one reason and it's NOT to stop drinking. It's because the court ordered them to go.

Some of our RU members are there because of the courts, others are there because they sincerely want to be free and RU's motto is "The truth shall make you free".

RU methods are based on the Bible and is highly successful in getting rid of ALL addictions - not just trading one for another.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There were only a few choices I could make on that poll that work for our church because in some cases, we have our own program (like AA, for example). We have a deaf church (they come to one of the regular services then have their own service during the second regular service) with a staff of 3, a full recovery ministry for alcohol and drug use, divorce care, a support group for parents of disabled children, a disabled ministry (they have their own Sunday School classes and such). We started a local crisis pregnancy center that has been on it's own (with other churches supporting it too) for about 12 years, and then we have the regular children's stuff - VBS, Promise Land, KidStuf, youth groups and a college and beyond ministry (my DH does this). We also have an extensive counselling ministry and a wonderful small group ministry. Oh, I forgot the cancer support group too! On Wednesday night we have the "Long Island School of Christian Ministry" - which is classes that you can take for more in-depth study and we just started The School of the Apostles for people who feel called to ministry in a larger capacity than just volunteer work. We had our first meeting last night and got kind of a plan and goal of what we're doing - this is going to be basically just a step below going to Bible school for most of these people. It's going to be an intense course of study that will last from 2-3 years and will end up with a large group of people trained to plant churches, be sent out for missions or to even come on staff as a pastor if any are called to that (by God - NOT by themselves - LOL).

So, we have a great number of minstries in our church and about 75% of our missionaries have actually been birthed out of our congregation - as have a number of pastors of other churches. It's neat to watch the body of Christ working well!

12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I noticed the connection when reviewing the background information on at least one of the leaders.
    I'm not. And you're the first one who's said anything about "hate." I don't hate Hyles or anyone who is conviced of the KJVO position. I simply said it is not a good fit for our church, which is completely accurate.
    As I said before, I have not. Although over the years I have discussed what happens at AA meetings with several people who are actively involved.
    I intend to visit when I am invited to a meeting. (I'm going to try to do it soon.) In any case, the 12 steps are based on Christian principles of repentance, humility, confession and accountability.
    Obviously I haven't because I asked for more information this morning.
    I didn't say it was "Jack Hyles based", I said "Jack Hyles-influenced" which may or may not be a fair assessment given the background of the leadership.
    As far as KJVO goes, the application for discipleship makes that clear.

Okay... And you realize that AA consists of autonomous groups, so your personal experience may vary from norm?
    Imagine that! Sinners acting like sinners instead of pretending to be something that they are not.
    That's true with many people who kick addictions. My father gained quite a bit of weight when he was finally able to kick cigarettes.
    And how would a judge ordering people to go to RU be any different? Seems like you would have to condemn RU in order to be consistent...
    I'm sure you are correct. And for the record, I'm not condemning RU. I simply said it was not a good fit for our church (since we are not KJV or fundamentalist).
    Yet I know a number of people involved in AA who have also been freed from all of their addictions... so success is not limited to RU.

13. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

We have an Alive Again program at our church, which is a 12 step program based on Scripture. Also, it is for all addictions, not just alcohol. You can visit www.aliveagainministries.com for more information.

14. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Many of the above in some form or another.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You listed on of the opitions as "single moms" what about " single Dads"?

There are many groups that need help. Thats where I think an association comes in. Each church can consider 2 or 3 needy areas. Then support the other local churches that have different ministries.

Salty

16. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Good point. We don't have a "single dads" ministry. Unfortunately, most situations that I am aware of, the "single dad" is nowhere to be found -- leaving the single mom to do it all.