1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What! No Church?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Nov 17, 2009.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

HankD

Great post! Thanks!:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. There are two meanings of "church" just as there is two meanings of me being a part of 4H. I am a member of the local 4H group yet with that, I'm also a part of 4H as a whole. I can claim to be in the same association as a 4Her in Colorado although we're not part of the same local group.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So your church is the only one worshipping the Lord?

Your church is the only one serving the Lord's Supper?

Your church is the only one who ordains ministers?

If this is what you believe, you must not ever take into your church a pastor who was ordained by another church because it was not in YOUR church. Do not accept a baptism by another church because it was not in YOUR church.

The body of Christ is Biblical. THAT is one of the definitions clearly shown in Scripture. If you argue for only the local church and not the body of Christ being the church, then as per Ephesians, God is polygamous.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

No.

Yes.

They were added by the Lord, following scriptural example. Each congregation is charged with guarding the integrity of the ordinances, thus must determine who shall participate in them, and whom it receives into its fellowship. One practical way is to vote, just as FBC Jerusalem did to select an apostle to replace Judas.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

No, Ann. What prompted the questions?

If you think I believe this, I was really unclear.

I believe that what I believe is scriptural. If that makes God polygamous, then the problem is not scripture, it's your interpretation.

6. OldRegular

Tom Butler
    You really did not answer the above question!

7. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

Thank you, in that I agree. :thumbsup: One BODY but not many bodies.... If the church is made up of "members" that constitutes as the BODY than it is the members that constitute as the Body of Christ and not specifically the "Church" they attend.

Darren

#47 Darrenss1, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
  8. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

What you are saying is very common, I know many other baptist that think the same way, they believe the universal church idea came from Roman Catholicism, so naturally they are very much against it.

Darren

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The only church existing in the second chapter of Acts (Acts 2:47) was the church in Jerusalem. To that one local church, the Lord added daily. History tells us that the church in Jerusalem eventually grew very large, perhaps 300-500,000 in number. The Lord was adding to them daily.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But by the time Saul was persecuting them, they spread atleast as far as Damascus, correct??

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

On account of Paul's persecution there was a scattering of the believers:

Acts 8:1 And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.

It was the church that was in Jerusalem that was being persecuted.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But they were no longer in Jerusalem. Were they meeting elsewhere at all do you think?

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

They were scattered because of persecution. Perhaps some met secretly in homes. Have you ever been in an Islamic nation and known a Muslim who has converted to Christianity. His family turns against him. The society turns against him. Even the government turns against him (such as the police). No place is a safe refuge. It was like this for the Jews that turned to Christ in the first century. They faced persecution from their families (other Jews), and from the government (a great persecution from Nero's government). They were scattered everywhere.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, but if they met in homes, weren't they a different church? They met secretly in homes in places other than Jerusalem. I'd say that makes them different churches.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Acts 12:5 Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.
    --Which church?

Acts 12:12 And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary the mother of John, whose surname was Mark; where many were gathered together praying.
    --It was the small church that met in the house John Mark's mother.

If I hold a Bible Study in my house it does not constitute a church just because believers gather together. Mat. 18:20 is not the definition of a church. A church is highly organized as the pastoral epistles describe. We cannot read into the Scriptures that which is not there.

16. OldRegular

Since when does the Lord add members to the local body? Wonder how that half million members ever assembled. Do you believe Rome would have really allowed that? But since you don't believe in "the Church" guess it doesn't matter!

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Every time someone agrees to the constitution of our church, is baptized and desires to become a member, and thus is accepted as a member--the Lord has added that person to our church.
    That is not a difficult concept to understand. It is the Lord that adds to our church. It is the Lord that blesses our church. All blessings come from Him. All glory and praise comes from Him. I thought you were a Calvinist? Praise and honor belong to God.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Check your history, and your Bible.
    They at first met in the Temple. But that lasted only for a temporary period of time, for the Jewish leaders could only tolerate it for so long. On his missionary journeys Paul met regularly in the synagogues.

19. OldRegular

Yes, but a half million???

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I could be wrong, but I believe that is what Sir William Ramsey gives in his book.