1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what? no one home schools???

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by TLB, Apr 6, 2007.

1. TLB

TLB New Member

am i the odd one out here too???

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

A lot of folks here HS.

3. Blammo

Blammo New Member

We homeschool. Well, my wife does. She doesn't post on here though. She has an account, and she may be interested in the homeschool section. I'll bug her about it.

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Yes, been home schooling for years, have a 41year old and a 36 and 11 soon to be 12 years old.

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Of course we have homeschoolers!

Why do you think we have a Homeschooling Forum??? :laugh:

6. Gayla

Gayla New Member

We homeschool, just don't post about it.

7. TLB

TLB New Member

I was thinking it could be a "just to be nice" kind of thing...

As long as I know I am not alone...and this is rather public, isn't it?

8. North Carolina Tentmaker

You are not alone TLB we homeschool. We just don't need to talk about it much. Actually this is a very busy time for us as we try to get caught up before testing.

9. North Carolina Tentmaker

So tell us about your homeschool TLB. How many kids? What cirricula?

As for us we have 9th, 4th, 3rd, and 1st graders this year. We use primary Bob Jones with some modifications.

Hey, anybody got any good foreign language programs they are using. My oldest wanted to do French last year and we got the Bob Jones French I but were disappointed in it.

10. TLB

TLB New Member

Our older 3 children were in public school until this (2006-2007) school year. The first year of home schooling has gone well.

This year we had a 7th grader, 3rd grader, 2nd grader and 3 pre-schoolers.

7th grade, I used the same books with her that she would have had if she were still in school.

3rd grade, I used Wordly Wise, Spelling Power, Rod and Staff Eng, Math & public school science text.

2nd grade, I used the same as 3rd grade.

For Reading on all 3 grades we just used books that we have here and we bought some new ones along the way.

this next year we will have 8th, 4th, 3, k-5 and then a 3yr old and 2yr old "me too" kind of kids.

I plan to use SOS with the older 3 and I plan to get LifePacks for the k-5. I'm thinking we will keep with "life", flash cards, silly songs & games for the 3 & 2 yr olds.

We have more of :1_grouphug: i get more:sleeping_2: and we have less:BangHead: :tonofbricks:
    That is not to say that our kids will never go back to school...but right now we just can't see them going back to school.

11. North Carolina Tentmaker

I am with you TLB. My wife and I agree that if they start to suffer academically we will put ours back in. I will warn you, it gets harder.

The early years are easier to teach but require more time. My 9th grader can read his books and do most of the work himself, but when he does have a question it can be a lot harder to answer. He took Geometry this year. I sure forgot a lot of that stuff. (What does Modus Opes Podens have to do with Geometry, or something like that)

We have had a very difficult year this year and have fallen behind on several subjects, but we are catching up now and should finish close to on schedule.

12. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker New Member

Never used it, but I have heard that Rosetta Stone is a good foreign language program. I am Blammo's wife. He did, infact, mention this forum. We have one son who is 8 courses away from graduating homeschool and now we have added my niece to the mix. Fortunately, she is only a little behind where our son is.

13. BroTom64

BroTom64 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We Homeschool as well. My wife does most of the teaching while I substitute, help with records, order materials and play the role of principal. We have been homeschooling since day one.
    We have four children (age 14, 10, 8, 5) and use Abeka with all of them.
    We've taught in three different states, Virginia, Mississippi and Alabama, each with different regulation.
    We love the flexiblity homeschooling allows we can travel or change the lesson pace to suit each child. It does get easier as the children progress and the older ones help the younger ones as well.
    The most enjoyable thing is to watch these children blow all the stereotypes out of the water. Plus my five year old reads anything you give him. It's lots of fun to watch folks who don't believe in homeschooling see him read for the first time.
    Sorry to brag so must but my kiddos sure make me proud.

Bro. Tom

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We home school here too. I home schooled my oldest (17 years old now - 11th grade) from 2nd through 8th grades and my next one (14 yo now - 9th grade) from 1st through 8th grades. They both to the public high school for different reasons - but God ordained - we prayed a LOT about that decision. Now I'm homeschooling my 3rd child - a son who's 6 and in 1st grade and will begin homeschooling my 4th child next year for kindergarten (she's in preschool at church right now).

For the girls, I started out with A Beka across the board for them but switched our math to Saxon in 4th grade because the A Beka was too colorful for my ADD daughter - and of course, we had the curriculum already so the next one used the same when she got to that grade too. In 7th grade, we switched to Sonlight for history, language and reading and used Apologia for science (LOVED Apologia). But I'm now using Bob Jones for my son and I love it WAY more than the A Beka, which I never thought I would. He's doing great with it. I'll use the same for my daughter next year.

15. ramashka

ramashka New Member

I'm new here and I homeschool also. We've homeschooled since pre-K and only had one year when our kids went to MK school on the mission field. Our kids are now in 9th grade and 6th grade.

We've used various curriculum in the past but this year we've used Abeka, some subjects with DVD, and Saxon for math.

16. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker New Member

I have noticed that many ppl use the same curriculum. We use Bob Jones for almost everything. One exception is for science, we use Apologia. That requires a little extra effort when correcting, but definately worth it. The other exception is math. This year we are using Teaching Textbooks. We used to use Saxon, but I found that my skills were a little out of practice. So helping with questions was quite challenging. Now Teaching Textbooks does it all for me. I wish I would have discovered this program sooner.

So does anyone have any thought provoking thoughts or interesting stories to share?

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

TruthSeeker - sounds like we like the same curriculum. I LOVE Apologia and I was so sad that we didn't continue homeschooling just so I could continue through their books - we just did the general and physical science. I was so excited for the biology! I just may get the book anyway and read it on my own. LOL!!

18. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Do you have a web site for TT? I have stayed with A.C.E. so far, and we love it, but since g/son is a teen now, I'm having a little problem with English and Math.

I graduated 45 years ago! Talk about rusty skills!?!

19. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker New Member

I do have a website for Teaching Textbooks.
    You can go to www.teachingtextbooks.com
    I got the program at Timberdoodle.com , I have used their site before and I found it to be a trustworthy site.

20. ramashka

ramashka New Member

We are considering switching to Teaching Textbooks for math next year. We've been using Saxon for several years.