1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What on earth?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Isaiah40:28, Mar 17, 2007.

1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually the word directeh is translated from "kûn" It means to stand erect or stand up right. This below from the Strongs.
    A primitive root; properly to be erect (that is, stand perpendicular);. hence (causatively) to set up, in a great variety of applications, whether literal (establish, fix, prepare, apply), or figurative (appoint, render sure, proper or prosperous): - certain (-ty), confirm, direct, faithfulness, fashion, fasten, firm, be fitted, be fixed, frame, be meet, ordain, order, perfect, (make) preparation, prepare (self), provide, make provision, (be, make) ready, right, set (aright, fast, forth), be stable, (e-) stablish, stand, tarry, X very deed.

Your attempt to make it support ("men not having a choice") isn't what the verse is talking about. God directed Jonah but Jonah did not heed God's direction. Through persuasion God changed Jonah's mind. Christ forewarned Peter. A direction for sure but, Peter didn't heed that direction. God guided the Israelites in the desert but they didn't follow His direction.
    Not to mention your using an English dictionary to interpret a word that was originally Hebrew or , Aramaic.
    The word in in the Strongs can be literal or figuratively. Your trying to make it appear literal when it isn't
    MB

2. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

Right, so how does that work itself into the verse in question?
    Who are you talking to?
    I didn't say "men not having a choice".
    That's your poor summation of my post.
    So you think that these examples disprove my interpretation of the verse?
    How?
    What's the revelance?
    Boy, you are a dandy.
    Actually I didn't. I consulted the Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament, edited by R. Laird Harris, Gleason L. Archer, Jr., Bruce K. Waltke. I looked up the "directeth"in the Strong's concordance which took me to the same Hebrew word you listed, (kun). Kun is listed as such: ["I]established, prepared, made ready, fixed, certain, right."[/I]
    O-kay. Whatever you say.
    If I was being literal, wouldn't I go with your initial definition and say that directh means, that God is standing upright or erect?
    Quoting your Strong's reference it says:

It seems that "literal" or "figurative" the meaning is that same as what I said it is.

Let's go back to your original post on this verse:
    You said, it isn't "unalterable", it's not "an appointment" or "absolute control".
    The figurative meaning in Strongs uses all of those meanings.
    You said: "unalterable". Strongs lists: firm, be fixed, set
    You said: "not an appointment". Strongs lists: appoint
    You said: "not absolute control". Strongs lists: certainty, ordain

I think you need to revise your rendering of this verse based on the definitions that "direct" carries in the Bible.