1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What OT passages suggest that ALL OT believrs had the Holy Spirit JUST as we have Him

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irresistible grace alters a person so instead of hating God and His righteousness, you willing come to saving faith compelled by the power of God.

It really does not matter who says they do not believe it, that is the published position of all those who believe regeneration before faith.

OTOH, if the OT saints were not regenerated, born anew, and made perfect until after Christ died, then they gained approval without being regenerated. Thus the doctrine of Total Spiritual Inability is unbiblical.

#81 Van, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2015
  2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am NOT a calvinist for more than one reason Van..

OT saints made an intelligent faith decision to believe the revelation of the coming Messiah and they were then regenerated.

I guess I disagree with both you and Biblicist but in different areas.

I did have an observation/inquiry for Biblicist which I had mention before concerning one the differences pre and post Pentecost and the work of the Spirit :

ASV Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you in water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit and in fire:

Apparently this is a new revelation. Though Jesus required that Nicodemus knew of the new birth we are told by John the Baptist that there was a baptism to be performed that had never happened before indicated by the definite future tense in the koine "he shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit" speaking of Jesus.

Do you have any comments about this passage Biblicist (I do appreciate your points of view when they differ from mine.)

Thanks
    Hank

3. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hank, will you admit that the subject of the Baptism in the Spirit is a highly debated issue with various interpretations. Pentecostalism has one kind of interpretation, whereas Non-Pentecostal Reformed Christianity has another kind of interpretation.

So, the truth is found in noting and conforming to the specific details which neither of the above positions conform to.

1. It is always addressed and only addressed to WATER BAPTIZED believers in Christ - "I baptize YOU in water....but he shall baptize YOU..." - Mt. 3:11; Acts 1:4-5; Acts 2:38; 41.

2. It is always addressed to a PLURAL "you" and never promised to, or applied to any singular individual.

3. It is geographically restricted to specific body of water baptized believers within Jerusalem NOT ALL BELIEVER THROUGHOUT Judea, Samaria or any other part of the known world - Acts 1:4-5; Acts 2:1

4. It is always the Holy Spirit that is the element and it is always Christ as the administrator and NEVER the reverse.

5. It is the New Testament counterpart to the Old Testament shikinah glory that occurred historically once on the day of dedication of a finished "house of God" - Ex. 40:35; 2 Chron. 7:1-3; 1 Tim. 3:15/1 Pet. 2:5

6. After Acts 2:1 it is never repeated again until Acts 10 and even then the nearest reference point Peter could identify it with is "AT the beginning" (Acts 11:15) on the day of Pentecost, rather than with the thousands of saved SINCE the beginning, thus proving it is not a baptism for individuals repeated every time a person has been saved since Pentecost. WHICH REPUDIATES both the Reformed and Pentecostal interpretations.

7. Finally, the baptism in the Spirit is not the totality of the "promise of the Spirit" but only ONE ASPECT. The "promise of the Spirit" also came for EMPOWERING by miraculous confirmation the preaching of the gospel to the Jews. It came in power for new redemptive dispensation to the Gentile world. It came to empower the apostolic office and prophetic office in accomplishing the prophetic promise of completing the Biblical canon of scripture. None of these should be confused with each other as the "promise of the Spirit" is comprehensive of all these individual aspects (confirmationg of prophetic completion Canon of Scripture - the "foundation"; dedication of new house of God; redemptive power and plan to Gentile world).

So, it is my opinion that the baptism in the Spirit is an INSTITUTIONAL baptism geographically restricted to a specific area in Jerusalem to a specific body of baptized believers (the INSTITUTIONAL congregational body of baptized believers as the new "house of God" for public worship with a qualified ministry and ordinances) and only repeated to confirm Gentile believers as EQUAL subjects for water baptism and membership in this new INSTITUTIONAL house of God (Acts 10:47-48).

#83 The Biblicist, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But did not go to heaven (the third heaven) and were not made perfect, so a regeneration only envisioned in your mind.

1) If the OT saints had been regenerated, made alive, born anew, united with Christ, they would have been made perfect. There were not.

2) If the OT saints had been regenerated, made alive, born anew, united with Christ, they would have gone straight to heaven, but they did not.

3) Christ did not send the helper until after He ascended to heaven, so to claim He was mistaken and had sent the helper to indwell forever the OT saints is without merit.

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Biblical evidence from both the Old Testament has already been provided to prove they did and your response to that evidence? ZERO! oh! Except for your repeated mantra based on personal opinion.

Evidence again has been provided to prove they were regenerated (Ezek. 44:7 "have" and John 3:3-13).

They are called "perfect" in many instances in regard to their legal position in justification (Job 1:1) and to their spirit in regard to regeneration ("the upright") demonstrated and illustrated by Abraham who received remission of sins past, present and future (Rom. 4:6-8) and called the "blessed" man along with David, when the Levitical redemptive blessing was only pronouned after the High Priest came out of the holy place - proving the application of "the blood of the everlasting covenant" was applied even though the provision in time and space had not arrived as again proven by Acts 10:43 ("for the remission of sins).

Moreover, hebrews 11:39-40 has to do with being perfect in complete glorification and entrance into the new heaven and earth YET TO COME that they will not enter "without us."

This has nothing to do with individual savlation at all as my previous posts provides indisputable facts to the contrary - facts you again IGNORE because you have no contextual based responses.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is my thought as well. I do believe however that this baptism and those events following impacts the total ministry of the Spirit of God on earth affecting the regenerated of the NT.

e.g. Speaking of the Spirit "which was not yet been given".

John 7:39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

And those works which He would perform:

John 16
    7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
    8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
    9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
    10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
    11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
    12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
    13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
    14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
    15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Yes, some of these functions were done through the human instruments of the OT prophets indwelt by the Spirit:

1 Peter 1:10.
    10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
    11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

On the other hand the consequence of ignoring Him was greater:

Hebrews 10
    28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
    29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
    30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
    31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

HankD

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have got to love them, folks.
    Jesus says no one has ascended to heaven, John 3:13, yet it is claimed evidence was presented that contradicted this clear evidence.

There was no evidence that the OT Saints were regenerated. Ezekiel 44:7 was cited, but it does not say nor suggest anyone was regenerated, made alive, united with Christ, born anew, etc. What the verse actually says is that the house of Israel brought foreigners, i.e. unbelievers, into God's house.

And again, the issue is not that the OT did not teach we must be born anew in order to enter heaven, the issue is that the OT saints had not yet entered heaven, and therefore had not been born anew. The absurd argument being made is since the OT teaches the requirement, then the OT Saints received it. Fiddlesticks.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ‘truth’ is found in the very simplest of exegesis of the text right under your noses. “He shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire”, is TWO baptisms, not one. The very same TWO baptisms referred to in Ro 11, “Behold then the goodness and severity of God”.

#88 kyredneck, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet Jesus expected Nicodemus to know and understand the new birth and in fact used the present tense conversing with Nicodemus and indicated that there were those presently who had indeed already been born again by the following passage.

John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
    10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?

Again, where is "heaven" of which John spoke?

Perhaps heaven was compartmentalized (as pre-shadowed by the temple) and indicated by the Gospel of Luke (and other places in scripture) Lazarus being in the Bosom of Abraham.

Jesus indicated this:

John 14
    2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
    3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
    4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

There is/was a new place Jesus would prepare upon His return to the Father.

Even so it doesn't necessarily follow that the OT saints were not regenerated just because their spirits went to Abraham's bosom and not into the very dwelling place of God. All is His and He makes the rules.

HankD

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi kyredneck, Do you mean the fire of hell?
    I know that explanation but "fire" here may be the fire of cleansing and purification (sanctification).

HankD

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have yet another repeat argument, this time that the OT Saints entered "a heaven" just not the heaven Jesus was speaking of. So we now have a special regeneration resulting in a special heaven to get around scripture. Which heaven is actually in view? The third heaven, the kingdom of heaven, where God and His throne are.

Lastly it is claimed just because the OT Saints did not go to heaven, but went to Abraham's bosom, it does not follow that they were not regenerated, born anew. They were not made perfect until Christ died.
    1) No verse says they were regenerated.
    2) If they had been regenerated, why did this not make them perfect.
    3) If they had been regenerated, why did they not go to heaven, the third heaven where God resides, when they died, as do born anew believers under the New Covenant in His blood.

The case is clear, the OT saints were not born anew, regenerated, united with Christ, made alive, made perfect, faultless, until after Christ died.

In summary, Jesus did not send the "Helper" to indwell us until after He had died, and 40 or so days later, ascended into heaven.

#91 Van, Feb 3, 2015
  12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

The fire of 'the wrath to come' upon that generation.

But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said unto them, Ye offspring of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Mt 3:7

23 Woe unto them that are with child and to them that give suck in those days! for there shall be great distress upon the land, and wrath unto this people.
    32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all things be accomplished. Lu 21

'Fire' in this text is used to signify wrath just as it does in many other texts:

7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said unto them, Ye offspring of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
    8 Bring forth therefore fruit worthy of repentance:
    9 and think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
    10 And even now the axe lieth at the root of the trees: every tree therefore that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
    11 I indeed baptize you in water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit and in fire:
    12 whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly cleanse his threshing-floor; and he will gather his wheat into the garner, but the chaff he will burn up with unquenchable fire. Mt 3

31 And I will pour out mine indignation upon thee; I will blow upon thee with the fire of my wrath; and I will deliver thee into the hand of brutish men, skilful to destroy. Ezek 21

20 As they gather silver and brass and iron and lead and tin into the midst of the furnace, to blow the fire upon it, to melt it; so will I gather you in mine anger and in my wrath, and I will lay you there, and melt you.
    21 Yea, I will gather you, and blow upon you with the fire of my wrath, and ye shall be melted in the midst thereof. Ezek 22

19 For in my jealousy and in the fire of my wrath have I spoken, Surely in that day there shall be a great shaking in the land of Israel; Ezek 38

9 Thou wilt make them as a fiery furnace in the time of thine anger: Jehovah will swallow them up in his wrath, And the fire shall devour them. Ps 21

5 How long, O Jehovah? wilt thou be angry for ever? Shall thy jealousy burn like fire?
    6 Pour out thy wrath upon the nations that know thee not, And upon the kingdoms that call not upon thy name. Ps 79

46 How long, O Jehovah? wilt thou hide thyself for ever? How long shall thy wrath burn like fire? Ps 89

4 Circumcise yourselves to Jehovah, and take away the foreskins of your heart, ye men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem; lest my wrath go forth like fire, and burn so that none can quench it, because of the evil of your doings. Jer 4

12 O house of David, thus saith Jehovah, Execute justice in the morning, and deliver him that is robbed out of the hand of the oppressor, lest my wrath go forth like fire, and burn so that none can quench it, because of the evil of your doings. Jer 21

4 He hath bent his bow like an enemy, he hath stood with his right hand as an adversary, And hath slain all that were pleasant to the eye: In the tent of the daughter of Zion he hath poured out his wrath like fire. Lam 2

6 Who can stand before his indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? his wrath is poured out like fire, and the rocks are broken asunder by him. Nahum 1

The ‘baptism of fire’ of Mt 3 is the same as here:

49 I came to cast fire upon the earth [the land]; and what do I desire, if it is already kindled?
    50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!
    51 Think ye that I am come to give peace in the earth [the land]? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
    52 for there shall be from henceforth five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. Lu 12

#92 kyredneck, Feb 3, 2015
  13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "fire" also has the biblical meaning of purification, the removal of dross, etc...

Isaiah 48:10 Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.

Zechariah 13:9 And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.

Malachi 3
    2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:
    3 And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.

1 Corinthians 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

HankD

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any 'purification' here is concerning the congregation he was addressing as a whole, comprised of 'wheat and chaff'. "He shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit and in fire: whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly cleanse his threshing-floor; and he will gather his wheat into the garner, but the chaff he will burn up with unquenchable fire."

Good trees and bad trees, and it was going to happen soon (fan is in his hand); "And even now the axe lieth at the root of the trees: every tree therefore that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire."

Just as 8:12 'sons of the kingdom cast forth' is synonymous with Ro 11 'natural branches broken off' is synonymous with 13:41 'gather out of his kingdom all things that cause stumbling' is synonymous with 13:49 'sever the wicked from among the righteous' is synonymous with 3:12 'thoroughly cleanse his threshing-floor'.

#94 kyredneck, Feb 3, 2015
  15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK you made a good case. Thanks.

Doesn't make a rebuttal to OT regeneration though, Van has a ways to go to convince me otherwise.

HankD

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, you need to provide scripture. Where does it say that the OT saints were not born again, how could they be called "perfect" (Job) or "righteous" (Lot)

Even today those who are born again are "babes" in Christ and in that technical aspect they are not "perfect" (mature).

Hebrews 5
    12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
    13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
    14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

2 Timothy 3
    16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Also you should give an acceptable rebuttal to the discussion between Jesus and Nicodemus. "Fiddlesticks" is an oblique ad hominem not a rebuttal.

Pointing out the ellipsis in the Galatians passage is an acceptable but not convincing rebuttal argument (IMO).

HankD

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

This has to do with the Spirit FLOWING OUTWARD not indwelling. Moreover, look at the historical setting. They marched up to the temple and poured the water out in the temple.

Also, please reread my previous post as I listed other things involved in the sending of the Spirit other than institutional indwelling.

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did reread it. I agree with a great deal.
    What is your take? Is the church as the "Body of Christ" a new institution or is it just a rename or extension of the OT regenerated Assembly?
    Personally, I would distinguish between the two.

Thanks
    Hank

19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The church of Christ is completely and entirely a New Testament institution that Christ built in his personal ministry BEFORE Pentecost. He "set in" the church the apostles BEFORE Pentecost (1 Cor. 12:28; Mk. 3:12). Its ordinances were administered BEFORE Pentecost (Lk. 7:29-30; Mt. 26:12-30). It's disciplinary authority and congregational form of government was established BEFORE Pentecost (Mt. 18:15-20). It was Commissioned twice BEFORE Pentecost (Mt. 10; 28:19-20). It was regularly and habitually assembling under Christ as its head BEFORE Pentecost (Acts 1:21-22). It assembled in business meeting for selection of a new church officer BEFORE Pentecost (Acts 1:12-28).

It was empowered, indwelt and "added" unto on Pentecost.

It is entirely a New Testament institution in regard to its origin or "foundation" which was not composed of Old Testament prophets or saints but "first apostles, secondarily prophets" of New Testament calling (Eph. 2:20; 1 Cor. 12:28). It's government, ordinances, officers and members were all New Testament in origin.

Regeneration of the 120 members in Acts 1 occurred BEFORE Pentecost as regeneration was inseparable from gospel conversion since Genesis 3:15. Proof? Ezekeil 44:7

In that ye have brought into my sanctuary strangers, uncircumcised in heart, and uncircumcised in flesh, to be in my sanctuary, to pollute it, even my house, when ye offer my bread, the fat and the blood, and they have broken my covenant because of all your abominations.

1. These were not merely uncircumcised IN FLESH but in addition were also uncircumcised IN HEART.

2. Circumcision in heart is a synonym for new birth in both the Old and New Testaments (Col. 2:11-12) as it is the cutting off of the fleshly nature.

3. They were rebuked for allowing UNCIRCUMCISED IN HEART entrance into God's house not merely uncircumcised in flesh.

4. God could not possibly rebuke them or condemn them for something they did not understand or something that had no existence.

5. "uncircumcised in heart" can only be understood by its contrast "circumcised in heart" which is taught in the Old Testament by the Prophets.

6. Unlike Nicodemus, Ezekiel knew that a "circumcised heart" was a "new heart" that must be given by God - Ezek. 36:26.

7. Unlike Nicodemus, Moses knew that God must GIVE a new heart in order for individuals to "perceive, eyes to see and ears to hear" or no obedience to God was possible - Deut. 5:29; Deut. 29:4.

#99 The Biblicist, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2015
  20. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

God IS Light
    God IS Life
    God IS righteous

In both Testaments Spiritual separation from God is due to SIN - Isa. 59:2/Eph. 2:1

To be SPIRITUALLY SEPARATED FROM GOD is to be separated from LIGHT and LIFE and RIGHTEOUSNESS. These three separated conditions is the description of the spiritual state of the fallen or unregenerated man:

Having the understanding darkened, [NO LIGHT] being alienated from the life of God [NO LIFE] through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness [NO RIGHTEOUSNESS] with greediness.

This spiritual condition originates with the fall of man in the Garden (Rom. 5:12-19) not with Pentecost. This is the state of SPIRITUAL SEPARATION from God due to sin not a condition invented since Pentecost.

The only possible solution to this SPIRITUAL STATE OF SEPARATION from LIGHT, LIFE and RIGHTEOUSNESS is SPIRITUAL UNION with Life, Light and righteousness (God). That act of spiritual union is called QUICKENING because it reverses the state of spiritual death to spiritual life. It is called WASHING OF REGENERATION AND RENEWING BY THE HOLY SPIRIT because it reverses the spiritual state of ALL UNCLEANESS to "righteousness and true holiness" (Tit. 3:5 with Col. 3:10; Eph. 4:24). It is called TRANSLATION FROM OUT OF THE KINGDOM OF DARKNESS INTO THE KINGDOM OF LIGHT because it verses the spiritual state of DARKNESS to the Spirit state of LIGHT.

The fallen spiritual state of separation from LIGHT, LIFE and RIGHTEOUSNESS makes it IMPOSSIBLE for any fallen man from Adam to the last man born on earth to serve or please God UNTIL that spiritual state of DARKNESS, DEADNESS and UNCLEANESS is reversed by SPIRITUAL UNION with LIGHT,LIFE, and RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Hence, this reversal is expressed as:

1. "you hath he QUICKENED who were DEAD" - Eph. 2:1 - LIFE

2. "As God command the LIGHT to shine out of DARKNESS" - 2 Cor. 4:6 - LIGHT

3. "created in righteousness and true holiness" - Eph. 4:24 - RIGHTEOUSNESS

This is equally true of Old Testament Saints

God IS Righteousness - Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: - Psa 4:1

God IS Light - The LORD is my light - Psa. 27:1

God IS Life - the God of my life - Psa. 42:8 - For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light. - Psa. 36:9; - Ps 80:18 So will not we go back from thee: quicken us, and we will call upon thy name.

David says that quickening precedes calling upon thy name.

IN THE OLD TESTAMENT THE SPIRITUAL FALLEN STATE OF MAN IS DESCRIBED AS A STATE OF SPIRITUAL DARKNESS; DEADNESS and UNRIGHTEOUSNESS

1. Unrighteousness - There is none righteous no not one - Psa. 14:1 as is in New Testament - Rom. 3:10-11

2. Darkness - Ps 107:14 He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and brake their bands in sunder.

3. Death
    - Who is among you that feareth the LORD, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the LORD, and stay upon his God. - Isa. 50:10
    To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house. - Isa. 42:7

Ps 107:10 Such as sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, being bound in affliction and iron;
    - Ps 56:13 For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living?

SPIRITUAL SEPARATION from God IS spiritual separation from LIGHT/LIFE/RIGHTEOUSNESS and no human being can serve or please God in that SEPARATED SPIRITUAL STATE.

SPIRITUAL UNION with God IS LIGHT/LIFE/RIGHEOUSNESS and the act of bringing fallen man from the separated spiritual state of DARKNESS/DEADNESS/UNLCEANESS to the spiritual state of LIGHT/LIFE/RIGHTEOUSNESS is quickening (Life) effectually calling out of darkness into light (Light) washing of regeneration and renewing by the Spirit (RIGHTEOUSNESS)

To be IN the SPIRITUAL STATE of DARKNESS/DEADNESS/UNCLEANESS is to be "in the flesh" as the works of the flesh are characterized by such attributes as DARKNESS/DEADNESS/UNCLEANESSS - Rom. 8:7-8 and to be IN the spiritual state of LIGHT/LIFE/RIGHTEOUSNESS is to be "in the Spirit" as the fruit of the Spirit is characterized by LIGHT/LIFE/RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Only two kinds of humans exist on planet earth from Genesis to Revelation - those who are "in the flesh" and those who are "in the Spirit" and all who are "in the flesh" are NONE OF HIS and all who are "in the Spirit" are indwelt by the Spirit or they are NONE OF HIS - Rom. 8:8-9. To say the same thing another way, all who are in a spiritual state of darkness/deadness/uncleaness are NONE OF HIS but all who are in a spiritual state of light/life/righteousness are indwelt by the Spirit, in the Spirit due to the act of regeneration/new birth/quickening/circumcision of the heart/effectual calling.

#100 The Biblicist, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.