1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What percent of Baptists are saved?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by trying2understand, Jul 22, 2003.

1. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

I ran across this while surfing the web.

"The other day I came across some statistics put out by Jim Elliff, a professor at Southern Baptists’ Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary here in Kansas City. By their own statistics Elliff says that among Southern Baptists out of every 100 professions of faith only 30 are later baptized and out of that 30 only 10 will show up at church on a given Sunday morning and of that 30 only 4 will show up on a given Sunday evening."

I understand that Baptists don't believe that Baptism or going to church make you saved.

But Baptists do say that becoming saved should change your life. Wouldn't that change logically include being baptized as a sign to others and attending church to share in the Word?

So what percentage of Baptists would you say are saved if the above survey is correct?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

What percent of Baptists are saved?

Only the saved ones. ;)

Seriously, I'm kinda gettin' tired of the "which percentage of x denom are saved" questions. I think it's all a matter of second guessing, most often in an effort to think we're the most righteous. Of course, Baptist will say that more of them are saved than other groups. In the end, It's Jesus who saves, not a specific church groups, assembly, or denomination. So let's stop second guessing. The Bible says that anyone who accepts Christ as their personal savior is saved. All the demoninational stuff is fluff in comparison.

3. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Just my personal opinion, nothing more [​IMG] , I would say between 25 and 35 percent.

Bye! [​IMG] See you later!

God Bless,
    Neal

4. Woman Of God

Woman Of God New Member

I surely agree Johnv about what you said i'm baptist and there is no such thing as one religion being saved over the other people are spending to much time worrying about the wrong things and debating over religion,spiritualism,and the day to worship rather it's the sabbath or sunday every day is a Holy Day to serve and worship God.No one knows if they are saved until christ comes back i was being critisized and made fun of only because i have visions and i beleive that God will give you visions just as he gave Daniel.I was critisized by the so called christians on this board if you don't beleive the power of God and it's stated in the Bible of how powerful god is then you don't know God.
    Blessings: brothers/sisters

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

That's not scriptural! Even the most obvious verses tell us that if we believe, salvation is guaranteed.

........ that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16b

Romans 6: 19 I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification. 20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. 21 Therefore what benefit were you then deriving from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of those things is death. 22 But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Diane

6. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

No one knows if they will inherit eternal life until Christ comes back. You can know your saved however.

Well, if you don't believe in OSAS...

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

John 10: 26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30 I and my Father are one.

Mt 10:42 And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.

I believe in Free Will and I believe in Once Saved, Always Saved. I KNOW where I will spend eternity!

Diane

8. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Many will be surprised to see so many Catholics there. [​IMG]

God Bless

9. Singer

Singer New Member

Kathryn,

Do you mean there will be some Catholics who will NOT be in Heaven ?

10. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Johnv noted:

A big ditto to John's comment.

11. Eladar

Eladar New Member

I've seen threads at this site that question Catholics being Christians. It seems that turn about is fair game. I haven't noticed anyone saying that those other threads should be dropped.

12. trying2understand

There is a not so apparent purpose to my question.

I'll explain more after I get a few more responses.

BTW, did you notice that I did not say anything as to whether or not any or all Baptists are saved?

I merely asked a question.

Ron

13. Tazman

Tazman New Member

dianetavegia,

The scriptures that you posted are very true, but only for those who remain faithful. Jesus says that his sheep "FOLLOW" Him. You have to consider all the scripture.
    When the scripture speak in Revealations about endure till the end, what do you think Jesus mean? 'Live sinful till the end because I a sucker' :rolleyes: 'Oh yeah, come into my Kingdom!" [​IMG]

Ask yourself this: In a covenant is there an agreement, a terms of peace?
    If a sheep walks away, reject the shepard, then its doomed not to be with the shepard.
    Every example you pull from the bible will consist of people who are faithful (not perfect) however faithful to the END. You apply those scriptures in a way that conflicts with Jesus' warning for Christians:

Hebrews 10:26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. 28Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?"

Jesus will reject a luke-warm believer:
    Rev 3:15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

Jesus threaten to blot out names from the BOOK OF LIFE!
    Rev 3:5 "He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels."

Does the Lord Change?
    Exodus 32:33 "The LORD replied to Moses, "Whoever has sinned against me I will blot out of my book."

Is not the Epistles written to the church. Isn't the Church a group of believers :confused:

What was Pauls understanding of Gods grace:
    Romans 2:1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. 2Now we know that God's judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment? 4Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?
    5But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. 6God "will give to each person according to what he has done."[1] 7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11For God does not show favoritism."

God does not show favortism. When a christian decides to live as a none christian and does not show faith in their lives anymore. They broke the covenant and is subject to the same judgement as a non-believer.

God rewards according to what we have done! Good OR Bad. He can't be MOCKED!

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

1 John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You'll never change my mind. Once Saved Always Saved!

Diane

15. trying2understand

But no one knows if they will continue in faith, so they can't know that they are saved or not.

Once saved always saved ceases to have much meaning then. No?

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Trying2understand, I didn't realize you're Catholic. I guess I just assumed you were Baptist. I am firm in my belief that one who has true faith cannot lose that faith. They might lose hope if they are looking to the world and not Jesus...... but true faith is something very difficult to explain. I don't have to choose to believe. I just believe.

It's much like when Jesus said

I don't NEED proof of things like creation, the flood, miracles. Jesus said it and I believe it... as a little child trusts his daddy and mommie to care for him... I trust Jesus.

Diane

17. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Blind faith has got to be the most dangerous thing to our spiritual health ever concieved.

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Adam, that is ONLY in your sort of Baptist opinion. The Bible tells me...

There's a LOT more scripture but I'm not interested in debating this. God's word assures me and I'm far too unimportant to demand He prove it to me! Blind faith .... fine with me!

Diane

19. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Diane,

What does Ron being Catholic have to do with 1 John 2:19?

20. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

His being Catholic... I just assumed he was looking at this subject from the same upbringing as myself. That's why. [​IMG]

Diane