1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Rice Doctrines Do You differ With ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I don't see how that would end up in the library of an Independent Fundamental Baptist church!

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Not the John R Rice that I have read. Maybe though - JofJ, what about it?

3. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

No!

4. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Isn't it about time to close this one and start a few others that deal with ISSUES rather than personalities?

Rippon?

Do not not know how you came to chose that moniker, but don't you think you have ripped on Brother Rice enough?

5. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

blood transfusions...

I have "Dr. Rice, Here Is My Question" in a box somewhere, but that does not sound right from what I know and recall.

6. samarelda

samarelda New Member

I looked in both of my "Dr. Rice, Here is my Question" books and see nothing about the topic at all. JofJ will know I am sure.

7. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Maybe it's an older one. I was thinking about it and I think one of these books was really old, perhaps pre-WWII. That would make more sense because that's when blood transfusions were first becoming widespread.

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Believe me, I KNOW John R. Rice's more interesting doctrinal digressions, and this was NOT one of them!! In editing his book of sermon illustrations, I read or skimmed every single one of his 200 plus books and pamphlets, and he said nothing about blood transfusions. This is actually a JW doctrine, and I've never heard of it anywhere else!

9. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

No, it doesn't make sense for JRR to take this position. I think you must be mistaken. I've made a few gaffes myself--memory just plays me false.

10. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would be extremely surprised John R. Rice wrote this in a book anytime. The truth is, John R. Rice wrote very few books before WW2. He started the SOTL as a newspaper in 1934, and didn't really hit his stride as an author and publisher until the early 1940's.

Books he wrote before WW2 can be counted on one hand, and I have read and/or own all of them: Bible Facts About Heaven (his best seller, with over 500,000 in print, originally published by Moody Press), What Is Wrong With the Movies (1938), a book of the famous Rice/Oliphat (a Church of Christ preacher) debate and a couple of others.

When I worked at the Sword of the Lord I often looked at the shelves where they had every book John R. Rice had ever written. Believe me, I would have known if he had taken this position. He never did. [​IMG]