1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What role should a pastor play?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 26, 2007.

?
  1. Preacher

32 vote(s)
    97.0%
  2. Teacher

31 vote(s)
    93.9%
  3. Counsellor

27 vote(s)
    81.8%
  4. Mediator

21 vote(s)
    63.6%
  5. Plumber

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  6. Vision caster

26 vote(s)
    78.8%
  7. Marry 'em and Bury 'em person.

20 vote(s)
    60.6%
  8. Baptizer

23 vote(s)
    69.7%
  9. Communion server

16 vote(s)
    48.5%
  10. Other

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Your opinion?

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

2 passages of Scripture come to mind:

Ephesians 4:11-13

11It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

2 Timothy 4:1-5

1In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 3For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. 5But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

3. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

I don't know that I can pick just one. There are a few I don't agree with- that is from a biblical stand point.

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I told our folks when I came here that Iwas called to lead them, feed them through the preaching and teaching of the Bible and intercede for them with God.

Except for the plumber part, it probably has a smattering of them all. And come to think of it I have been a plumber here once or twice

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

You don't have to pick just one.

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I had a pastor once who was called by one of his congregation, an older lady, saying that her toilet was stopped up. Out of the kindness of her heart, he went to help her.

7. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I've had a few A/V tech (audio-visual) runs for some of our church members as well as playing computer tech a time or two!

8. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

almost too funny...just a couple of hours after posting my last response i found out that my "AV Tech" skills were going to be needed again tomorrow night at the home of a church member; i guess its "payment" for supper, lol.

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

Agreed :laugh:

10. bro1taz

bro1taz New Member

pastor's role

I have done all and more. As a matter of fact while in Ala I had an elderly lady call and ask me to come clean out her rose bed - which I gladly did, after all we are servants!:wavey:

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I've done all them and then some. Pastor of a small Church and the only fulltime staff means if it needs to be done I do it (or make sure it's done).

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I only left two unchecked.

13. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same thing with a church planting missionary. But no one on earth would want me to be the plumber. Either the church would be flooded or we would get no water...or maybe one after the other! :tonofbricks:

14. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I can't seem to come to grips with that one, Jesus is the only intercessor. The congregation can go directly to Him on their own.