1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What scriptures support Baptism by emersion?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Wisdom Seeker, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Matthew 16:24

Matthew 16:24 New Member

The Greek word for "baptize" in the New Testament is "baptizo" (bap-tid-zo). This means to make whelmed or to submerge, i.e. "fully wet;" technique of the ordinance of Christian baptism; to immerse or dip under water. Jesus was baptized fully wet. The disciples were baptized fully wet. It is safe to say, if you have not been baptized by full immersion, you have not been baptized by the technique of the ordinance of Christian baptism. In baptism, we are identifying with Christ’s death and resurrection.
    Note the words in Ro 6:4-THEREFORE WE ARE BURIED WITH HIM BY BAPTISM INTO DEATH: THAT LIKE AS CHRIST WAS RAISED UP FROM THE DEAD BY THE GLORY OF THE FATHER, EVEN SO WE ALSO SHOULD WALK IN NEWNESS OF LIFE.
    Note the words: "BURIED WITH HIM BY BAPTISM," or "BURIED…BY BAPTISM." Most preachers would agree that baptism and water go hand in hand. The word "water" may also be correctly substituted in place of the word "baptism." Note the meaning that comes forth when read this way: "buried…by water." The word "by" indicates the method whereby we identify with Christ. How? - by baptism.
    Col 2:12 gives us an almost identical wording. BURIED WITH HIM IN BAPTISM, WHEREIN ALSO YE ARE RISEN WITH HIM THROUGH THE FAITH OF THE OPERATION OF GOD, WHO HATH RAISED HIM FROM THE DEAD.
    Note the words: "BURIED…IN BAPTISM" or "buried…in water." Biblical baptism is by being "buried" in water. In other words, baptism is by going into the water and being immersed. The word "in" distinguishes the point in time that we are identifying with Christ. When?—in baptism.
    Sprinkling baptism is no baptism at all. It is Satan’s counterfeit.
    Acts 8:38, 39-AND HE (Philip) COMMANDED THE CHARIOT TO STAND STILL: AND THEY WENT DOWN INTO THE WATER, BOTH PHILIP AND THE EUNUCH; AND HE BAPTIZED HIM. Note, they both went down into the water. There was no pouring water upon the eunuch's head.
    Mt 3:5-6-THEN WENT OUT TO HIM JERUSALEM, AND ALL JUDEA,...AND WERE BAPTIZED OF HIM IN JORDAN, CONFESSING THEIR SINS. Note, baptized in the Jordan, not sprinkled from a basin of water.
    Jn 3:23-AND JOHN ALSO WAS BAPTIZING IN AENON NEAR TO SALIM, BECAUSE THERE WAS MUCH WATER THERE: AND THEY CAME, AND WERE BAPTIZED. Note, there was MUCH water there. It was not shallow.
    Mt 3:16-17-AND JESUS, WHEN HE WAS BAPTIZED, WENT UP STRAIGHTWAY OUT OF THE WATER:...AND LO A VOICE FROM HEAVEN, SAYING, THIS IS MY BELOVED SON, IN WHOM I AM WELL PLEASED. Jesus was baptized in the Jordan and came up out of the water. Have you likewise obeyed God by submitting to the ordinance of baptism? Is God well pleased with you?
    Every time water baptism was done in the New Testament, it was done by immersion. There is no other biblical way.

The Bible commands that all men should repent. The baptism of John is called the baptism of repentance in Acts 13:24,and 19:4.
    The Scripture tells us in Mt 3:6-AND WERE BAPTIZED OF HIM IN JORDAN, CONFESSING THEIR SINS. Verse 8-BRING FORTH THEREFORE FRUITS MEET FOR REPENTANCE. Infant or baby baptism, or any baptism that is done prior to the person believing on Jesus and repenting, is contrary to God’s Word and of no meaning. A baby or a very young child cannot be baptized according to God’s Word, as we read, Acts 8:36,37-WHAT DOTH HINDER (or prevents) ME TO BE BAPTIZED? Philip had preached unto him Jesus and it appears also about baptism. The eunuch wanted to be baptized, but Philip refused unless one condition was met. Look at Philip’s reply. AND PHILIP SAID, IF THOU BELIEVEST WITH ALL THINE HEART, THOU MAYEST. The eunuch then said in verse 37-I BELIEVE THAT JESUS CHRIST IS THE SON OF GOD. The Scriptures are clear.

2. Walls

Walls New Member

I am in full agreement that immersion is the only way and also that it is a picture of what has taken place on the inside.

I know the Amish don't get baptized until they are late in their teens or early adulthood. They are given the choice to go the way of the world or to be a part of the church. But once they make that decision, it is complete surrender (either to the world or to the church) then they are baptized into the church.

When we get baptized, does it show within our hearts that we are fully surrendered to Christ and His word, or do we hold to some of the world?

OOps, I guess that would be another thread!