1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Scriptures support baptism by immersion?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Abiyah, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Frank

Frank New Member

Ray:
    The Bible teaches baptism is a part of the gospel.

The Bible says, in I Cor. 1:10-15,10  ¶Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
    11  For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
    12  Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
    13  Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
    14  ¶I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
    15  Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. SEE I Cor. 15:1-4, Romans 6:3-5.
    Paul preaches it. The Bible says in Gal 3:26-29,For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
    27  For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
    28  There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
    29  And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Paul obeyed it.

The Bible says in Acts 9:6 - 16,Acts 9:6  And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
    7  And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.
    8  And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.
    9  And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.
    10  ¶And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord.
    11  And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and enquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prayeth,
    12  And hath seen in a vision a man named Ananias coming in, and putting his hand on him, that he might receive his sight.
    13  Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem:
    14  And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name.
    15  But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
    16  For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.
    Acts 22:16  And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Paul wrote of it. Eph. 5:26, 27.26  That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
    27  That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. Acts 2:38,47, Romans 1:16, 17.  ¶For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
    17  For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

He condemned changing it.

Gal. 1:6-9.¶I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
    7  Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
    8  But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
    9  As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. SEE GALATIANS. 3:26-29.
    He linked it with the gospel. Eph. 4:4-6.There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
    5  One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
    6  One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
    The Bible says in Col. 1:23,  If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; SEE COL. 2:12.

Paul glorified God in proclaiming it. Col 2:12 says, 12  Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Paul affirmed salvation was only IN CHRIST.

II Tim.2:10. Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

Paul affirmed HOW one gets IN Christ. He affrimed when one was IN Christ where all spiritual blessings are. Note Gal. 3:26-29,For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
    27  For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
    28  There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
    29  And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. Note Eph. 1:3, ¶Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Dr. Enns is in in error about his conclusions of Romans 6:3-5. The scripture does not teach one is baptized into the Holy Spirit. It is NOT declared, it is NOT exemplified and it is NOT implied by the text. If so, WHERE are the words that affirm his assertion.

However, by the totality of the harmonious evidence from the new testament, I have demonstrated baptism for the remission of sins is to be done by covering, overwhelming,or as it is immersion in water in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit unitl the end of times by disciples of Christ. Mat. 28:18-20. This is in accordance with the words of Jesus Christ as found in Mark 16:16, He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. See I Pet. 3:20,21, I Cor. 10:1,2, Acts 8:36-39;8:12-18, Eph. 5:26.

As for the good doctor, he is in error based on the teachings of the new testament of Jesus Christ.

[ October 03, 2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Frank ]