1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What should a pastor do with his tithe?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Speedpass, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the chapel does take an offering, and it is part of what is called "non-appropriated fund". All matters concerning the collection of offerings is covered by Army Regulation 165-1 para 14-3 & 15 the money is used to buy SS literature, some supplies. Also the chapel fund may be used for certain charities.
    Of course the major cost - the pay and allowance for the chaplain is paid directly out of the US Treasury.

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Why should the pastor specifically say how much he is giving, anyway?

3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I concur completely.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If anyone today practices tithing as it was done in the OT then he is tithing 23% of his income. In the NT is taught giving which is very different than tithing. In the OT the administration and religious body were the same but not in the NT or today.

5. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the term, as used today, is synonymous with giving.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is a fact. It is no one's business what another member or pastor gives. The only person who needs to know is the one that handles the money. In some cases, this is covered by privacy laws. From experience, this is a source of gossip. That is why the person that handles the money must be a person of high integrity that keeps private information to themselves.

For those who say they have the right to know what a pastor gives, that is totally wrong. If you do not trust him to tithe, then your church should not have called him in the first place.

#26 saturneptune, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
  7. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Tithe?

As to the original OP "What should a Pastor do with his tithe" I say (NOTHING) since there is no Old OR New Testament requirement for anybody (including the Jews) to tithe on their monetary income under the New Covenant in the church age TODAY! (where is Aresman when ya need him!?) I would recommend that this Pastor needs to teach his people the sound principles of generous, liberal, giving of their time, talents, possessions, and yes...money whenever possible as they are so led of the Lord. Since we don't live in a theocracy as Israel did under the Law as God gave them.....well...tithing...No. Pastor...you give of your income as the Lord leads you but tithing is neither commanded nor required and I will say that there is not one single verse of scripture (in it's given and surrounding context) that supports such a thing in this dispensation. I give out of the joy and love of giving as the Lord leads and enables me. That is the Bible way. By the way...I think everybody ought to obtain and read Aresman's excellent book, "Freedom to Give". It will set the matter at rest. I don't believe that an honest man could prove otherwise.

Bro.Greg:thumbsup:

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A great paper on the subject can be downloaded at http://works.bepress.com/david_croteau/5/