1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What should my stand be on gun control

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by thjplgvp, Feb 1, 2013.

1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

If this needs to be moved please do so. I was not sure where to post it. (edited to add this line)

I am wrestling with what specifically should my response be to gun control as an American citizen as well as a believer. I don’t believe I am alone in this dilemma as I believe many vacillate between what they think as opposed to what is biblically right. I am aware that two verses in Romans 13 come into play. The word resisteth in verse two seems to indicate overthrow because one would not only oppose but according to the root word it also indicates putting yourself in their place. We are not to overthrow our government. The second verse that comes into play is verse 5 which tells us that we need to subject ourselves to authority not only because of the impending wrath of God on our actions but for our conscience. After reading this I was immediately drawn to David who, while fleeing from Saul cut off a piece of Saul’s garment showing Saul he could have been killed but David afterward was heartbroken because his conscience smote him.
    In striving to understand my responsibility as an American and my responsibility as a believer I certainly do not want to do anything that harms the USA and places me in a position of helping to overthrow our government nor do I want to offend my conscience for an action I should have thought through more completely.
    Your thoughts and scripture would be appreciated as I weigh what my response should be looking forward.

#1 thjplgvp, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We need to follow all alwful orders. What we have seen is that not all orders by our government are lawful. We know through long standing SC presidence and the constitution that the current attempt to control guns is not lawful.

Our Declaration of Independence and Constitution are founded on overturning bad governments. If we ever get to the point where our current government has become tyrannical then we are well within our rights and scriptural grounding to run them out of town.

3. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Brother Mitchel,
    I agree with your initial statement that we should all follow or obey our laws. Without bucking that statement I would ask who makes the decision (interpretation) of the term lawful? If the gun ban were voted on today and passed would it not then be a law? As a law would I not be bound to obey it? Under what interpretation of the law do I go against this new law? There must be a biblical principle in play here that I have not recognized or had pointed out to me at this point.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The biblical principle would be to obey the law. The law of our land is that when laws are created that infringe on gun ownership then they are not lawful. That is well established.

Our country was established on overturning governments that have become tyrannical.

The law of the land is you cannot infringe on gun ownership and no branch of government can take on for themselves the unchecked balance of power. Any laws passed under those conditions are not lawful. Our law makers cannot just do whatever they want.

Our government cannot force you to do what is already illegal regardless of what their position is in the government.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. JimmyH

JimmyH New Member

I have been a life NRA member since 1975 and was a regular member for the two previous years. I love my guns. I would gladly give them up if I believed it would accomplish anything.

Chicago, which has ultra tough gun laws had 7 shootings in a 24 hour period said the news yesterday. They have had more gun related murders than any state in the union.

I could go on with how the 1934 ban on civilian ownership of full auto firearms, unless federally registered, has proven ineffective in keeping them out of criminal hands.

The Sullivan law circa 1904 IIRC in NYC... ineffective. If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns. I'm not ready to beat my swords into plowshares just yet.

#6 JimmyH, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013