1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What systematic theology texts are you most thankful for?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by scooter, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Obviously. I wonder why though. Is it his stand on inerrancy? Maybe his stand on God's sovereignty?

2. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Way to Dispy for me. I've read some of it but admittedly did not finish it. But unlike you DD I'm not afraid to use my God-given mind. [​IMG]

I find the schemes of dispensationalism (umbrella term, referring mostly to classic dispensationalism) to be flawed. A predetermined "grid" (term not mine) is placed on scripture and interpretation is made accordingly. The idea of whole parts of the gospels being intended only for Jews in the future and not for Christians here and now? Utterly ludicrous! Do you disagree?

The same with Calvinism. God is put in the little box of "sovereignty". You determine that humans have NO free will (because any free will would threaten God's sovereignty) and then interpret accordingly.

I prefer to read the Bible and let it speak.

Do you and I have intelligent minds that can comprehend abstractions? Or should we simply resign ourselves to the facts that anyone who has written a thick book MUST have more gray matter than we do and must then be right?

:D

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

It is dispensational. Enough said?

4. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Amen! My sentiments exactly!

[​IMG]

5. Craigbythesea

I have thousands of books in my home library, and time simply does not permit me to blow the dust off of the books that are of no value.

As for the pernicious fellow known today by the name of John Calvin, I have more respect for my neighbor’s cat who is an absolutely baneful nuisance.

[​IMG]

6. Craigbythesea

Your giants remind me of an old photograph in my library of the late Dr. Livingston standing with a group of pigmies. And no, your giants do not remind me of the great giant of a man Dr. Livingston.

[​IMG]

7. Craigbythesea

Had Calvin left it at that, we could today all appreciate him this thanksgiving season, but most regrettably he made a pitifully sad mockery of both of these doctrines.

[​IMG]

8. Craigbythesea

Amen! And Scooter, the mere fact that Charles and I do not especially care for systematic theologians does not even begin to suggest that we value our personal opinions above those of others. It is only to say that our “others” and your “others” are mutually exclusive.

[​IMG]

9. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Different views are just that.One is not necessarily superior to the other.While dispensationalist and covenantal principles are not be alls and end alls we should not through the baby out with the bath water, they should be kept in mind along with other herneneutic principles.