1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What the resurgence was and is all about

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Diversity is the alter of the liberal establishment even in the convention. And it holds a higher place in the hearts of liberals than scripture does. This is exactly what the resurgence was all about. And it is most certainly a hill on which to die.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The battle for the Bible begins again.

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

"In the Baptist church of my youth we were taught that the Bible is the infallible, inerrant Word of God -- every word is divinely inspired and it is to be read literally," Grisham said.

I agree with the Baptist church of his youth.
    I believe that is what R. A. Torrey, A. C. Dixon and other folks who wrote, "The Fundamental" were trying to get across.
    How many today take the first 11 chapters of Genesis not to be true and others want to cut Paul's Epistle out or say they and much of the Scriptures aren't correct or should not be taken literal and the list goes on and on.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My pet peeve is when I am told that diversity IS our strength. Bunch of hogwash. Diversity might be a strength, but it's not a given.

Salty

Hmmm, I might add this to my L.E.F.T. list
    ( http://voiceofaction.com/gpage10.html )

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Since John Grisham is not a christian authority, I wouldn't put any value in anything he says.

7. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

What is a "Christian Authority?" A seminary president? A seminary professor? All pastors who pastor mega-churches? How about all Christians?

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You may call diversity/liberty/freedom to be liberal tenets.

I call it the basis of three Baptist distinctives that some baptists did die for so that we can now practice.

Soul liberty
    Autonomy of the local church
    Priesthood of the believer

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Someone well known in the christian community as a christian teacher, etc.
    There are christians out there who say and do some wild things.

10. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

So you "wouldn't put any value in anything" an ordinary Christian says?

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not put any value in anything said by anyone who has so little view of scripture such as these folks.

12. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sleeping at the Holiday Inn doesn't cut it with scripture; in spite of what the liberals may think!:BangHead:

13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

It's sad, because these three things have been twisted. They were twisted so much that the 1963 BFM, which was great document, had to be rewritten. If you want to practice the new soul liberty, the new autonomy of the local church, and the new priesthood of the believer then join a CBF church. If you haven't already, they'ed love to have you.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    sag good to see you again!:thumbs:

15. DonnaMartinez

DonnaMartinez New Member

agreed! I dont know why we would care what he, or any of Hollywood says.

16. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I personally appreciate the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith's expression of these distinctives.

17. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I laughed when I read the article from the link from the OP.

Same old theologically-liberal garbage repackaged for 2008 consumption.

If the bible is NOT inerrant as Mr. Grisham seems to say in a back-handed way, then I guess all the verses Mr. Grisham likes don't belong in the bible either, eh? I mean, if it isn't infallable, then by all means, Mr. Grisham, you'll have to chuck all the verses liberals love like their favorite snippet "Judge not lest ye be judged......"

So Jimmy Carter started this thing and Bill Clinton is the final speaker. Boy, sure is a good thing this isn't political or anything. And encouraging people to say NO to the proposed Bush tax cuts....that isn't political either, I suppose. This idea that handing out gobs and gobs of cash to bring people out of poverty is naive at best and just plain idiotic at its worst. I hate to quote Louis Farrakhan, but he said it best when he said that "The ghetto exists in the mind." He went on further to say that if you took everyone out of the projects and gave them mansions, they'd trash them.

This New Baptist thing is horrible. However, we were promised that the tares would certainly grow alongside the wheat.

#17 Jkdbuck76, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2008
  18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ed

#18 EdSutton, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2008
  19. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Bill Clinton, to his credit did not bring a political speech at the NBC, if you would like to hear and see what he said, go to big daddy wave's blog - link below, and check it out. It is about the 2nd or 3rd blog entry down.

I am not a Bill or Hillary Clinton supporter in any way shape or from, but I found his speech very good. No one can deny that the man is a great communicator, and did a good job in his speech.

I disagree that the NBC is a terrible concept. One thing that it did was to bring both Black and White Baptists together. Unfortunately the liberal wing probably outnumbered the conservative wing fairly dramatically, however, whatever lip service the SBC has given to racial reconciliation, we as SBCers need to do a much better job. It may take groups such as the NBC to begin to pull this off. As Dwight McKissic, an African American pastor of a large SBTC church in Arlington, Texas has pointed out, there are no African American's in leadership positions at the executive board of the SBC.

http://www.thebigdaddyweave.com/

20. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. Grisham is free to say what he wants to say on anything. We're free to read his novels, and stay away from him and others like him.

He is free to put his drawers on a hanger and on to a nail on his wall, and bow down to it and smell it before going to bed and upon waking up, and call it his god.

He is NOT free to tell Baptists how they are to read the Bible, though, and vice-versa.