1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What the Word of God says on Total Depravity

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by tnelson, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Hamtramck_Mike

Hamtramck_Mike New Member

What translation is this Yelsew? My KJV flows rather differently than this.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Yelsew, your error is that because he said "to the Jews" you think the truth doesn't refer to anyone else. Scripture elsewhere makes it clear that this truth is a universal truth. He was speaking "to the Jews" because that is who was in front of him. He was not saying "This is not true about anyone else." That is a faulty exegetical method. Scripture confirms for us that this is a universal truth.

3. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

Translation does not matter, it is thought that matters. If you KJV does not have the same meaning in it then you are misreading the KJV. But for you sake, it is the NJB.

4. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

Pastor Larry, I presume the only truth you see in that entire passage is "you do not hear" Well there is much more there than you do not hear.

What about the two questions I posed at the end of the quote?

5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Larry, you are missing the whole truth. What is true of one group of people may not be true for another. This is a prime example:

As you can clearly see the Gentiles will hear what the Jews have been hardened to. There is a difference between these two groups at this time in human history and to ignore that is to ignore truth.

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

You presume wrong, and you miss the point of what I said. What I said was that you wrongly interpret this to apply only to the Jews. the rest of Scripture makes it clear that the truth Jesus spoke to the Jews about is true of all men. YOu cannot isolate this from Scripture.

What about it?? Do you think the answers are any different than they were the other times you asked?? Are you any more prepared to hear the answer now than you were then? I doubt it ... and so I will not spend my time answering something that has already been answered multiple times, that you did not receive before.

I didn't miss that. That wasn't my point. As I said, Scripture reveals that what is true of the Jews is true of all men. That is the point you are willingly overlooking because it doesn't fit with your system. You are right. But I never disagreed with that. I was making a different point, unrelated to what you said.

7. Skandelon

You ignored Acts 28:28 which clearly contrasts the Jews ability to hear with that of the Gentiles. Could you deal with that please.

Thanks.

8. Hamtramck_Mike

Translation does not matter, it is thought that matters. If you KJV does not have the same meaning in it then you are misreading the KJV. But for you sake, it is the NJB. </font>[/QUOTE]It makes a HUGE difference Yelsew, for the purposes of expounding this passage; I would have to go line by line to separate what is fiction in your translation to what is Truth in mine! [​IMG]

9. Hamtramck_Mike

You ignored Acts 28:28 which clearly contrasts the Jews ability to hear with that of the Gentiles. Could you deal with that please.

Thanks.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Simply this: Prophesy

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I didn't ignore it. I dealt with it a long time ago. You can probably find it by searching. Thanks.

11. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

To which Skandelon more than adequately replied

12. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

Was this true before the Exodus? Was it true before Abraham? Was it true during Noah's days?

Why did God choose the Jews to be HIS CHOSEN PEOPLE, if what you say is true?

Why does scripture say that God deals with HIS CHOSEN PEOPLE differently than all others?

Come on, Larry! Give us a break!

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

It is always true. Since the beginning of sin, man has been totally depraved. Don't confuse the condition of man as an individual with the condition of Israel being chosen as a nation. You are confusing yourself by conflating things that are distinct. These two issues are separate issues. We can talk about one or the other, but try to talk about both at the same time. That doesn't work.

14. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

That sounds to me like double-talk or at the very least a double standard. If what Jesus is saying to the Jews applies to all mankind for all times, then why all the hullaballew about God having a chosen people and treating them differently, more special if you will, than all other men?

The fact is in John 8 Jesus is addressing Jews about a Jewish mindset! He is not talking to Gentiles, because by the Grace of God, the gentiles who will hear what Jesus has to say are now included in the promised SALVATION. Jesus sent His disciples into all the world, making disciples. And they are still going into all the world, and still making disciples, because the gentiles are still HEARING AND BELIEVING UNTO SALVATION, while the JEWs are not! (though more of them outside of Israel seem to be softening a little.)

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

It may sound like double talk but it is not. God's having a chosen nation is entirely different and separate from man being totally depraved. Everyone in the chosen nation is totally depraved. Everyone who is totally depraved is not in the chosen nation.
    The inability of the Jews to hear in John was because they had the wrong father (v. 44), just as every other unbeliever does. What is confusing about that?

16. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

"What is confusing about that?"
    These are all your words Larry, and they are each contradictory within themselves. So, I am not sure what you are saying. In one you say that all mankind are the same then you say the Jews are different, Then you say that all who are, are not!

The people in your congregation that are bobbing their heads must be asleep, because they certainly could not follow this line of thinking let alone agree with it.

17. tnelson

tnelson New Member

A few more:
    Eph.2:1
    "And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins." The origin of true saving grace is rooted in the gracious heart of God. Adam disobeyed the known will of the Lord and deliberately ate of the forbidden fruit. As a result he brought spiritual death upon himself and all of his posterity, rendering them totally helpless to do anything except to act according to their fallen nature.

(2)"Wherein in times past ye walked (lived) according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience." The complete domination of the world, the flesh, and the devil upon the natural man may not be considered or comprehended, but it is a reality. The natural man is God's enemy.

(3)"Among whom also we all had our converstion (manner of life) in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others." By nature souls are abjects of divine wrath, for the holiness of God is violated by willful acts of disobedience. The heart of the natural man is focused, in doing evil. The heart is bent in only one direction, and that direction is towards self and away from the Sovereign.

Eph.4:17
    "This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as orher Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind." If sovereign grace does not redeem the soul it shall be left to walk in wickedness and spiritual blindness all the while being without spiritual life. The Biblical revelation of the condition of the natural man is designed to humble him by showing his desperate state of abject despair.

(18)"Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart." As a result of the fall from grace in the Garden of Eden, individuals are born spiritually blind and deaf. Their minds are darkened by sin, and their hearts are corrupt and evil.

(19)"Who being past feeling (having grown insensitive to that which is morally right and wrong) have given themselfes over unto lasciviousness (excessive wickedness), to work all uncleanness with greediness." The natural state of the unconverted is wretched as they eagerly give themselves over to every form of personal pleasure no matter how sensual and perverted.

Eph.5:8
    "For ye were sometimes darkness (spiritually unenlightened), but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light." Christians must never forget they were once in utter spiritual darkness. It is sovereign grace that makes the difference between the day of delight in being with the Lord in heaven or being eternally banished from the presence of love.

I will post more later.

by His Grace
    mike

18. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

Does that mean the same thing as "smack dab in the middle of" or "Dead center in"

19. Skandelon

I didn't ignore it. I dealt with it a long time ago. You can probably find it by searching. Thanks. </font>[/QUOTE]Don't pull this! You deal with things over and over again on this board and you know it. How many times have you answered the same old typical Arminian objections? Yet, to me you say, "I dealt with it...go search." You haven't dealt with it, you ignore it. And the fact that your not willing to take two minutes to deal with it now reveals the truth of my claims.

When someone says, "Why would a Calvinist even bother to witness." Do you respond, "I dealt with that in 1998, go search." Or do you answer? Typically you answer. Why? Because you have dealt with that in your own mind and you are comfortable and secure with your response. The reason you don't deal with this argument is because you don't have a good answer. All your "pat" answers don't work on this question. You're not so secure and comfortable with the issues you never have really dealt with, are you Larry?

Some things never change. :(

20. Skandelon

I don't see how this answers my argument. Could you please be a bit more forthcoming? Thanks