1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Theologian/Author has affected you the most?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by TomVols, Jul 22, 2001.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

In my christian life and ministry, outside of Biblical revelation, the most influential writer/theologian is a toss up between Charles Spurgeon and Robert Murray McCheyne. Who has most influenced you? A contemporary theologian might be Millard Erickson or James Boice. I'd be interested in hearing from you.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

To name a single contemporary author would probably be John Piper. The book of his that I enjoyed the most is "The Pleasures of God."

3. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Without a doubt, John Piper. Then (in no particular order) R.C. Sproul, Martin Lloyd-Jones, Spurgeon, Jonathan Edwards, J.I. Packer.

4. Mikayehu

Mikayehu New Member

I'd like to add a third vote for John Piper. His book "The Pleasures of God," as Pastor Larry mentioned, is one of the very best. The others that have been particularly influential to me are C. H. Spurgeon (mainly his sermons), Charles Hodge (if he has a commentary on a book it's probably my favorite on that book), John Bunyan, and B. B. Warfield (I feel he deals with complex topics in a very clear and Biblical way).

5. Kathy

Kathy New Member

I vote for my Pastor, Dr. Rick Blackwood of First Baptist Church of Perrine in Miami, Florida. He hasn't written any books, although he should. I think that his knowledge should not be limited to one church, he should be syndicated on radio (kinda like John MacArthur) so that everyone can benefit from his awesome knowledge and love for God's Word!

Kathy :D
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

John Piper
    Elizabeth Eliot
    Others.. .

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most influential? A.W. Pink Sovereignty of God, Gleanings series

Francis Schaeffer The God Who Is There, How Should We Then Live, True Spirituality

Other influential writers include Josh McDowell, John MacArthur, James White, G. Campbell Morgan, Woodrow Kroll

Chuck Swindoll and Max Lucado &gt;&gt;gasp&lt;&lt; have influence my preaching to become more careful to make the practical application of the Word in my exposition of it.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Bunyan, The Pilgrim's Progress.

HankD

9. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

TomVols asked:

Who has most influenced you?

Charles Spurgeon, John MacArthur, J. I. Packer, C. S. Lewis, and Francis Schaeffer, in no particular order.

Indirectly I've also been influenced by Augustine of Hippo, John Calvin, and Thomas Aquinas.

And an honorable mention goes to Aristotle - not a theologian by any means (being a pagan, after all!) but he did lay the foundation for all Western thought, and the modern skeptics have been trying to undermine him since the seventeenth century.

10. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

In no particular order; Hank Haanegraaf,John MacArthur, Warren Wiersbe (he has the incredible ability to make the profound truths of Scripture practical, i.e. making the Scriptures apply to everday living). Others too:C.H. Spurgeon,J.I.Packer, etc [​IMG]

11. Hal Parker

Hal Parker New Member

I would have to list Francis Schaefer and Henry Morris as the most influential in my life. Schaefer introduced me to some serious theological and philosophical concepts. Henry Morris showed me that the Bible does make sense of the world.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

It's interesting that many people mentioned John Piper because he is partially the inspiration behind asking this question. In his lectures and in his writings he encourages students and pastors to find a great theologian and immerse themselves into this theologians writings and work. His is Jonathan Edwards. I truly respect Piper and count his book The Supremacy of God in Preaching to be must reading for any preacher of God's Word. Plus, in one lecture I heard him deliver, he chronicled his journey from professor to pastor by coming to the realization that God is not just to be studied, but He is to be studied in order that He may be proclaimed. I think that's well said and worth saying.

13. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TomVols:
    It's interesting that many people mentioned John Piper because he is partially the inspiration behind asking this question. In his lectures and in his writings he encourages students and pastors to find a great theologian and immerse themselves into this theologians writings and work. His is Jonathan Edwards. I truly respect Piper and count his book The Supremacy of God in Preaching to be must reading for any preacher of God's Word. Plus, in one lecture I heard him deliver, he chronicled his journey from professor to pastor by coming to the realization that God is not just to be studied, but He is to be studied in order that He may be proclaimed. I think that's well said and worth saying.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had the pleasure of seeing John Piper in person 4 times, twice last fall at Southeastern Seminary. Despite being one of the most brilliant theologians alive, he is also one of the most humble, preferring to be called pastor John rather than "Dr. Piper". His books and sermons (he is one of the best preachers ever, for he just preaches the text with the passion of his heart, and disdains three-point sermons and other Baptist preaching conventions!)have shifted my theological paradigms at least threefold, opening up to me the majesty and sovereignty of Almighty God.

His book The Justification of God on Romans 9:1-23 may be the finest exegetical study of this century.

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Chris Temple ]

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Chris,
    I had the pleasure of meeting him and hearing him at Southern Seminary. I was there for a lecture the day after the Wedgewood tragedy in Texas. Piper preached that day in chapel with the heart of a shepherd. His pastoral methodology is spotlighted in a book called Escape from Church, Inc. by E. Glenn Wagner (Zondervan).

15. John Wells

John Wells New Member

16. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TomVols:
    Chris,
    I had the pleasure of meeting him and hearing him at Southern Seminary. I was there for a lecture the day after the Wedgewood tragedy in Texas. Piper preached that day in chapel with the heart of a shepherd. His pastoral methodology is spotlighted in a book called Escape from Church, Inc. by E. Glenn Wagner (Zondervan).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Tom. I will check out that book.

The coming of Piper to SEBTS was a monumental event in my mind. The chapel was overflowing for two days and he caused quite a stir due to his unabashed Calvinism. [​IMG]

As great as his messages were, he did a 1 hour Q&A session with the student body which was simply awesome.

17. Bob Landis

Bob Landis New Member

Charles Spurgeon and John Bunyan have my vote. :D