1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What time did the sinners prayer come from?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is but one problem he has. He is a mystic and is 'buddy-buddy' with the RCC and does not think they need to repent of their sins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quality over quantity
    In the Gospels - we do see Jesus speaking to large crowds - but for the rest of the NT, many encounter are one-on-one.
    I am not saying that it is wrong to pass out tracts - but there does need to be followup,
    something you have admitted that does not happen.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting. Here Proverbs 28:7 comes to my mind. If you possessed even mininal critical reading skills then perhaps you would have noticed my post was a question (which Evan has graciously answered). Instead you make assumptions and engage your own suppositions as if they were my intentions. Learn to read, brother. I think it will help keep you from posting stupid replies. And I mean this in a noncondesending and most edifying way.

4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IT "Disagree" rating in 5...4...3...2...1...

*laugh*

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    My apologies; I thought it was in another forum. But it's still a food fight.

#45 rsr, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  6. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Read 2 Timothy 2:8-10.

Quality or quantity? He didn't know who the elect were, nor do we, but seemingly he sought all opportunity to preach to as many as possible.

Paul's follow up was to return to seek disciples in the cities he had formerly preached in. Not 'believers' but 'disciples'. He sought the quality after expending himself for quantity. I wouldn't ridicule, mitigate or question any who do the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Internet Theologian

Thanks for your ridiculing me as well here. I was merely responding to your address of evangelist6589's post. There was no point in your addressing him at all. Maybe you should read it again and take it to heart.

Before you start calling my posts stupid, and calling my intellect into question, first take a look at you and your response, which I addressed.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Key word "preach" not just passing out tracts -

9. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Here is a challenge for you. Go to a "forbidden topic fest" and start open air preaching. If I had done that two things would have happened.

1) I would have been thrown out by the authorities
    2) I would have been ransacked

So I chose the more silent approach of passing out tracts and engaging people in conversation.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    interesting choice of words - you say "silent approach" then state engaging people in conversation - that is two separate actions altogether!

Thus the "engaging in conversation" is the "quality" and simply "silently distributing tracts" is the "quantity"

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read it again. I used "wait" to pause the conversation and rephrased his comment as a question because I did not understand how the tract could be so well received yet unread. Even explained that the "packaging" was well received and his hope was that they would be read as well (his use of "wish" made it unclear to me).

You assumed my intent towards Evan to be condescending and ran with your error. You assumed the reason for my reply was to ridicule. Your entire post to me was nothing but one big assumption that you mistook as fact and that could have been avoided had you read and interacted with my words rather than what you imagined my intent to be. You need to learn to read and ask questions before jumping to conclusions.

I am not saying that you are stupid, and I apologize if it appears as if I were. But you have authored two posts which seen to express a high degree of ignorance towards the posts they addresd. Perhaps they merely reflect your carelessness in reading my words, but they are stupid nontheless. And if I didnt care about you I would simply remain silent. Instead I am showing you where you mistook your inferences for my words.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Internet Theologian

Right, and not many of us have to preach to spread the Gospel, and preaching it is not the only method. Evangelist6589 handed out tracts with the message of the Gospel in them, most likely with the Word of God printed on them. That said I'm not going to discount his efforts.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. :( Nah, it's funny anyway. Just waiting for his sidekick to join in :D.

14. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, realized the blunder this morning, lol.

God bless.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ????

14 I say unto you, This man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be humbled; but he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. Lu 18

I know it's probably hard for you to accept because this doesn't fit the front-loaded works salvation model of MacArthurism and no mention is made of this man making a commitment, becoming a disciple, or even repenting

And FYI, his 'salvation was clinched' before the foundation of the world. Something else the MacArthurites profess to know yet routinely contradict and deny.

'Double-minded' describes it well, I think.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Internet Theologian

That's all I meant, his salvation was clinched prior to the foundation of the world and was realized in time. He did nothing to gain it and can do nothing to lose it. Yes, there is no repentance in your gospel message, I get it. I also see you continue to conflate evidence of salvation with working for one's salvation. No 'Macarthurite' does this, and that is the distinction.

BTW, thanks for throwing in the inflammatory remarks! :p

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep the Calvinist brigade waits to come along and run through the entire thread to see how many posts they can disagree with. Then they go back over to their other forum and gossip about people on this board. They brag to each other when they think they have made some headway in defeating arguments or changing people's minds. They are quite proud of themselves.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh I've had a belly full.

19. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Evan, I am glad that you passed out all those tracts. I used to be involved in a ministry which went to fairs and carnivals and had a booth set up where we would pass out hundreds and even thousands of tracts in a weekend. We had a private section at the back of the booth where we could take people and discuss salvation with them if they became more interested.

Personally, I am a big proponent of the "Romans Road" approach. I also advocate the use of the "Sinners Prayer", but not in a Willy nilly "pray this prayer and you're good" kind of a way. But rather as an example of how to pray, period. I usually say something like, "God knows your heart and your sincerity. This prayer doesn't save you, but rather your trust in His sacrifice for your sins".

I applaud your efforts, Evan. I do still hate the million dollar bill tract, though. That and anything made by chic. Regardless of what you use, I hope you have your church contact information on there so they can get in touch with someone.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the risk of being called condescending (not by you, Evan, you seem to be an honest guy) did you go out with another to the fest (I would think it helpful to have another along side) and how did it go (were any responsive beyond taking the tract)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.