1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What to do in an Obama World

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by J.D., Jan 29, 2009.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

From http://www.americanvision.org/article/what-to-do-in-an-obama-world/.
    I am not a dominionist, so I don't agree with everything in the article, but I found it encouraging given the circumstances we find ourselves in these days. I've underlines some parts I think are important and I would like to hear from BB folks whether these comments are helpful or not, especially in regards to whether we should withdraw from the culture or engage the culture, and where is the line between separation and involvement.

2. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Thanks J.D. I find them very helpful. You have confirmed what I have been preaching for a year. The world has grown darker and darker. What a great opportunity to let our light shine. We are called to withdraw. We must engage. We must reach out and offer hope to the lost. Show the world that there is an alternative.

The line between seperation and involvement lies in our actions. I can love, witness to, minister to sinners. I am anot to take part in their sin. I can love a homosexual. i can witness to a homosexual. I can make them welcome in my home and my church. I can not become a partaker or enabler for their sinful lifestyle. I can not let them mistake my love and care for them as approval of their sin.

I want sinners to be welcome at my church. I do not want them to become comfortable there.

3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I struggle to understand just what it means to "engage" the world. But something hit home with me last night as I was crusing the internet (I don't remember the site but will try to find it later) and came across an article that said "why there are no protestants on the supreme court", and the reason is simple - the catholics have been sending their children to law school for decades while we fundy/evangelical/protestants have been sending our children nowhere beyond high school or at the most bible college. This is what is meant by engaging the culture.

In this particular regard, the law school at Liberty U. is a step in the right direction. Maybe this thing can get turned around after all.

4. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

When I think about "engaging" the world I think that we are in the world but not of the world. Most of my christian friends spend all their time with christians. They play ball in the church gym. Attend Christian Schools and go to Bible College. Protected and seperated from the world. But shouldn't we be out there, working out at the Y with the unsaved. Jogging and Walking through neighborhood where we can witness to the lost. Going out to dinner with lost co-workers so i can witness for my savior? I'm not talking about pretending to like someone to invite them to church, but having a real relationship with the lost. That way, when something happens that shakes up their world, they can turn to you, and you can point them to Christ.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

In obedience to Scripture, pray for the new administration and keep promoting the kingdom's agenda.

6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Here's something to think about:

When answering the question, "what's wrong with the world", Fundamentalists tend to say "we're not separate enough", and Evangelicals tend to say "we're not engaged enough".

Could it be that they are both right?

7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I pray for the president's covnersion to a Bible-based faith in Christ and to original constitutional principles.

8. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent post! I especially like the last line.

9. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Actually, the sun came out when George W. Bush left office. The emphasis of his administration on American world supremacy has left us bankrupt both morally and economically. There's a new can do attitude in the White House that we desperately need to come through the Bush depression.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't like the wording in the quote on the OP and I am not an admirer of those people listed there.

Being salt and light and preaching the gospel is not taking dominion but it is letting God use us to bring people to Christ. The Lord leads the battle, not us. Dominionists think we are supposed to take over the world so that Jesus can come back.

Engaging the world - yes, what does that mean? To me, this simply means being out there and taking opportunities to witness to people. I've never thought otherwise.

11. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I am going to do the same thing I strive to do in an Obama World.. and that is the same thing I did in the Bush world and "Insert Name Here" world...

Witness, spread the good news, study myself to make me stronger and trust God...

What more do we need when we are talking about one man and his "world"?

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What to do in an Obama World

Do as Paul did in Galatians 5: Continue to preach the offense of the cross.

The cross says to the world (from whence we were taken) This is both the price and remedy of sin and all have sinned.

13. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

So just witness and go home? Is that engaging? But if that's the way you see it, so be it.

But who is it you don't admire?

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Huh? That's not what I said. Furthermore, you must know nothing about my ministry!

Full time ministry for over 10 years involving but not limited to: Led outreach of 9 people from my church to teens in line at M Manson concert and passed out flyers I had written; outreaches to Moonie events; witnessed to Pagans in a witchcraft store; witnessed to New agers in New Age store, witness online through my website; spoke to groups where there were unbelievers attending; went to Goth clubs several times and one time sat at a table and gave my testimony to a Goth who asked for it; constantly urging believers to witness; give believers suggestions and material to use to witness to New Agers and those in the occult; spoken to numerous youth groups at youth conventions; have spoken in MD, CT, NY, VA, Denver, St. Louis, Kansas City, OR, CA, NC, SC, Fla, Chicago, NM, AZ, TX, Ohio, (many of these places several times), and too much to put here. Most of my prayer partners say they get tired just reading about what I do. Guess this is staying home, huh?

Have you ever been to my website? Clue: I'm a missionary with a mission board living on donations.

Also, my testimony has been published around the world, is in several books, I have a book, I have published articles, I am quoted in books, I am always trying to spread the gospel in my ministry, etc. etc.

WHY do people on the BB constantly make wrong assumptions about people!

#14 Marcia, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2009
  15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I was objecting to the agenda of Dominionists. Can't you read what I wrote? Do you know what they believe??

I don't admire the conservatives listed.

16. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ummm....I was just trying to spur conversation and retro/introspection over whether we are doing things right. But thanks for the atomic blast anyway.

Let's drop it.

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, if I misunderstood, I apologize. But I never said, "let's just witness and go home."

18. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is pure lies told by liars.
    We can become a great nation again when people learn about what they speak and not speak what they hear.

19. Creyn

Creyn New Member

Thank you John, short and to the point.

The proof is in the pudding: I only just joined, so my memory of the requisite questionnaire is fresh. Does not one HAVE to be a Baptist to join the site? Do any of the ridiculous ideas promoted by that individual square with our faith?

#19 Creyn, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2009
  20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

What am I gonna do in an "Obama" world??

Same thing I did in the "Bush" world and in the "Clinton" world and in the "Reagan" world and in whoever's world

Pray to the Father through His Son, Jesus Christ!!