1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Version of the Bible do you read

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by ILoveTheLord, Mar 20, 2009.

?
  1. King James Version (KJV)

30 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. New King James Version (NKJV)

19 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. New International Version (NIV)

15 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. New Living Translation (NLT)

12 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Other

29 vote(s)
    45.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You guys are denying that Vatican Text B is the Roman Catholic Text?
    It was Alexandrian Text, and was continuously preserved by Roman Catholic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Vaticanus

Can we trust any Bible if it is preserved by Muslims or by Buddhists, even if they are the oldest?

The ancestor mss of the majority texts are older than Vaticanus B.

Even p66 supports KJV in John 7:39, then why do MV's follow Aleph and p75? p66 is older than Aleph, and more than 900 mss' support KJV in that verse, why don't MV's follow the oldest manuscript, p66?

We have to assume that RCC has been formed by the time of Vaticanus B since Constantine already declared the edict of Milan in 313.

Look at yourselves! you may have become devout followers of Roman Catholic, the Idol worshippers and Goddess worshippers.

#101 Eliyahu, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I must say this was good for a chuckle.
    The funny thing is that most KJVO folks also detest reformed theology and side with the RCC on the matter of Sovereign Grace vs Free Will.
    They also side with the RCC on the matter of the suppression of the transmission and continuing translation of the Scriptures.

No, you are quite wrong, no Romanist here.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Elyahu, you are aware are you not, that Erasmus who compiled what would later become known as the TR, which the KJV was a Roman Catholic?

In other words, the KJV 1611 is an Anglican translation of a Roman Catholic compilation of Greek manuscripts.
    Oh, and I might toss in the fact that this same KJV, now in it's 1769 revision is being distributed by the Mormons.

All that and I still consider the KJV to be the word of God, regardless of who had their hand in it and who uses it.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Double standards don't bother KJVO's.

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Nor does this particular member mind breaking the rules.

6. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Erasmus had to become a RC, but He did not function RC because of the "PEN."

7. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I have not read every post in this long thread, but the ones I have scanned make no mention of the NRSV. Surprising ... it is characterized by serious scholarship and a middle-of-the-road style, although I do not like the use of "mortal" instead of "humans" or "men". But it is broadly acceptable and seems to be the pew Bible of choice wherever I go to preach.

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

He was in the "pen" so he couldn't be RC?

:laugh:

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

If you are referring to his not being a Baptist, he has some special imprimatur from the Webby to post here in spite of that. I know because I asked before.

10. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Nope, I'm referring to this little insult.

"Look at yourselves! you may have become devout followers of Roman Catholic, the Idol worshippers and Goddess worshippers"

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Sag, yes, I understood what you were talking about.

12. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are talking about the surface.
    Indeed, Erasmus was a Catholic, but his fellowship and faith were completely with Reformists.
    I hope you are aware that his book is still on the list of books forbidden by Roman Catholic ( if the ban is lifted recently, it has been forbidden for centuries) If he was a Catholic, why should they forbid his book?

He behaved as a truly born again believer. Yes he received the manuscripts from RCC cardinal, but his inner man was truly Bornagain Christian.

You should not suck the surface of the water melon but must break it down and taste it inside.

I am sure I have struck the key point of the issue, the True Believers should not trust any literature preserved by Heretics like RCC. Why should we rely on them while the thousands of manuscripts preserved by the believers are available ?

13. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently TR by Erasmus repudiates from the RCC codex B and A. It completely ignore the RCC text. Even if Aleph had been available at that time, he would have ignored it completely.

RCC is too far from Christian Truth.

They pray to Mary, which means 1.3 billion people all around the world pray to her at millions of places, which means Mary has to answer to them at millions of places and she has to travel faster than the speed of light. She must be Omnipresent, and Omniscient to understand all the problems of medicine, computer, traffic, in all the languages of the world. That means Mary has become a goddess to the minds of RCC people.

They nullify the once for all effect of Sacrifice by Jesus at the Cross when they sacrifice again at their Mass every week. Do we need more evidence?

They insist on the Purgatory because they don't have the conviction that they can go to the Heaven. Indeed they will go to the Inferno and they don't know when they can come out of it ! Maybe eternally they will be there!

#113 Eliyahu, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Eliyahu, I use the NASB primarily.
    How many Roman Catholics were on the translation committee for that?

15. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    sorry duplicate post

#115 TC, Apr 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2009
  16. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry again.

#116 TC, Apr 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2009
  17. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many people I know right off the NRSV as a liberal Bible because it says young woman at Is 7:14 instead of virgin. I know some others that use the NRSV almost exclusively and they really like it. I have not read it extensively, so I do not really have an opinion on it. Maybe I will get to it at a later date - right now, I am reading the TNIV. :jesus:

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

If this is not breaking the rules, it's close. I thought of reporting it but it's better to leave it so people can see the attitude and extremely slanderous accusation.

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

If you feel like a member is breaking the rules we have a 'report post' button

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

You must be REALLY old! The American Standard Version was first published in 1901!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.