1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Version of the Bible...?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by TCGreek, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I only use the KJV for preaching and teaching. I would give the KJV to some members of my church. No plm.

If I only use the KJV on Sunday Worship, I suppose, I would give them different modern versions. They would stop me and repeatedly ask me saying, "Why did they not match?" "Why is the difference between the KJV and modern versions according to what the passage said?" They confused themselves when they read their modern versions during I give them some passages from the KJV.

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I don't understand. If you only use the KJV in Sunday Worship, why would you give them different modern versions?

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I use the KJV and most in our church use the KJV but the NASB would be 2nd and the NKJV would be next and the ASV 1901 would be 2nd with me. But if one has put in time with their Bible and study it well, another Bible should not cause much trouble.

4. Askjo

Askjo New Member

It is an example on 2nd paragraph in my previous post. This is not what I recommend.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Moderator's Warning

No version debates. Stick to the topic or this thread is closed.

6. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Ah! so perhaps you meant something like:
    If I only use the KJV on Sunday Worship, but provide the congregation with different modern versions, they would stop me and repeatedly ask me saying, "Why did they not match?"

7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Just to stress that I was not trying to start a version debate in my post #22. That certainly was not my intention, and I am very sorry if anyone took it that way; I only mentioned KJV because Askjo mentioned it in his post that I was enquiring about. But perhaps your warning was not aimed at me....

8. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Yep!

FYI - English is not my native tongue. I apology if you don't understand what I said.

9. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Please read what TCGReek posted:

1. What version do I use for preaching?

2. What versions did the congregation use and I use?

3. What one version do I wish we use?

Look at my comment to David Lamb:

Stick to the topic?

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

No sir, it was not aimed at you at all. Thanks for the way you conduct yourself on this board. You're an asset! :thumbs:

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Yes Askjo, stick to the topic. Why do you think the warning was aimed at you? Convicted conscience? :laugh:

It was a gentle reminder to all to abide by the Baptist Board rules.

12. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

No need to apologize at all. I was not criticising or complaining, just making sure that I had understood you properly.

English is my native tongue, but far too often I manage to write things in a way that gets people confused! :laugh:

13. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

The NRSV is in our pews, and that is my default version, although sometimes -- particularly if I am using a Psalm -- I go to the KJV. But we have lay readers for the two or three Scripture selections that are included in our worship, and they bring a variety of texts, always announcing what version they use, and referring people to the page number in the pew Bible.

I grew up in an era in which children were taught to memorize the books of the Bible in order, so somehow it always feels vaguely unspiritual to tell people "Page 498" instead of just giving them the book and chapter! But I do realize that we are dealing with people who do not have that background.

In Bible study I am also sometimes amused, when we are discussing a particular text, and someone says, "In MY Bible, it says ....", as if they possessed their own personal revelation!

14. uhdum

uhdum New Member

In my home church, there is no particular version preference, so when I have the opportunity to preach, I usually preach from my HCSB. In the pews, we have everything from KJV to NKJV to NASB to NIV to NLT.

At the church I have been preaching at for the last month, however, I have found that they appear to be KJV-only, because the first time I was there one of the deacons said something from the pulpit about it being the only true version, others are corrupt, etc. I simply chuckled inside to myself. My practice when preaching in churches other than my home church is to use the KJV anyway, so this hasn't been an issue for me... although I miss the clarity of my HCSB!

15. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I preach and study primarily from the NASB.

I have members who use the KJV, NASB, New Geneva, and NIV. There may be other translations in use, as I have encouraged everyone to use a comparative study Bible or software that offers comparative study.

To help resolve the differences between translations, I put the passages I intend to reference on powerpoint slides and project them on a screen.

I have given NKJV, NCV, NASB and NLT translations to people. Age and education level are the consideration I use to determine which I would reccomend or give to someone.

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well we all use the Reina Valera 1960. Though there are other Spanish translations this is the most common and easy to find. Personally I have really enjoyed it. Still go to Greek and my very very weak Hebrew first when I study. But having another language to study in makes things real interesting.