1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Was Written In The Sand?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, May 9, 2006.

1. gekko

gekko New Member

This is just a thread for people's opinions. i dont believe there is any scripture supporting or not supporting any view.

I just came across a thread talking about Jesus and the pharisee's bringing an adulterous woman before Him asking Him about the law of stoning and what He would do to the woman. let me post the scripture here for referance -

John 8:
    "3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. 12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. "

what do you suppose Jesus wrote in the sand?
    i do not wish to post my thoughts at the moment for i want to see what your opinions are on this.

God bless.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

What Jesus wrote in the sand:

REJECTED NOTIONS:
    -"James, your fly is open."
    -"AV 1611 all the way!"
    -"God wuz here"
    -"Hey Pharisees...if you can read this, GO HOME before my Dad gets you!"
    - Aleph-Ayin-Aleph(1st-century Aramaic tic-tac-toe)
    -(to the woman) "Hello, my name is Jesus, and I'll be your Savior today..."

MY GUESS:
    -I have no idea. Who knows who the writing was even for...the woman, disciples, pharisees, crowd, who?

3. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

The Pharisees led their victim into sin that they might lay a snare for Jesus.

Thats why they were not going along with the law themselves in seeking punishment of the woman, for the guilty parties were supposed to be punished equally.

Thats why Jesus said he who is without sin, let him cast the first stone.

thats also why they did the duck and run when He started writing their sins in the dirt.

They didnt realize Jesus would know what they had really done in secret.

Claudia

4. gekko

gekko New Member

ok. interesting.
    (i can say this because i believe it - i first heard it from ray comfort - free duplication is encouraged) - this in my own words:

i think that what Jesus wrote in the sand - he wrote for everybody in general.

now what i think he wrote out is this:

the ten commandments.

let me explain. for one, to write out everybody's sins and the date and time they did them would take up a whole block and a whole day to do it. so that's out of the picture. it had to be something small - yet significant enought for John to put it in his gospel account. i dont believe it was just a line or a swiggle either. why would John mention Jesus stooping down to write in the ground instead of draw in the ground?

now. why do i believe he wrote the ten commandments in the sand? it was to convict those around Him - the law reveals sin. "those without sin cast the first stone" and so i believe Jesus wrote out the ten commandments to reveal to them sin - even though they knew it already - it was a reminder i think.

another picture i see here is this:
    on Mt. Sinai - the ten commandments were written in stone
    could it be that Jesus wrote the ten commandments in stone? now that the law does not save and that the law is not carnal but spiritual?

the law of sin and death has been wiped away for those accepting Christ.

what are your opinions on that?

5. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Well I have two ideas of what Jesus might have been writng in the sand. One person said her wrote the names of everyones lovers thay were sinnin' with. (This was a Christian comidian)
    Another who may be pretty close... his suggestion was the 10 Commandments.

Verse 7-9 said
    So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest.....

Rom 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

6. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deut 22:22

22 If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, both the man that lay with the woman, and the woman : so shalt thou put away evil from Israel.

In other words, they brought the weaker sinner only.

7. gekko

gekko New Member

what does that mean? the weaker sinner?

8. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

The footnote in the New American Bible states regarding John 8:6: Jeremiah 17:13 RSV "Those who turn away from thee shall be written in the earth, for they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living water."

The footnote for John 8:6 in the Nelson Study Bible states that some suggest it was the Ten Commandments from Exodus 20.

The note for John 8:6 from the Orthodox Study Bible New Testament and Psalms: Testing Him: If Jesus refuses to condemn the woman, He will be accused as a law breaker. If He approves her condemnation, He will be inconsistent in His mercy to sinners. This (and v. 8) is the only NT reference that Christ wrote anything. Speculation abounds as to what He wrote, one theory being that He wrote the names of those accusers who were themselves guilty of adultery.

It's really anyone's guess.

[ May 09, 2006, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: JFox1 ]

9. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The adulterous man who might have been strong or powerful enough to escape may have been exempted from the punishment. Anyway there is no mentioning that the man was brought together, nor was he forgiven.

10. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

I think that Jesus wrote the sentence. "Innocent".

In Deut. 22:23-24 for a virgin the punishment was stoning. But not for a wife. This required a special procedure (see Num. 5:11-31) which left the punishment with God. The writing is seen in verse 23.

And since Jesus is God, He gave her mercy. He much preferred to expose the sins of her accusers instead IMO.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I always thought that the Pharisees interrupted a football game with the disciples where Jesus was drawing up a play in the huddle. :D

12. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said Dt 22:22

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Scripture wasn't numbered at that point ;)

14. gekko

gekko New Member

well it is now. so deal with it that way. its only waypoints to easier help us find referances... duh!

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

*sigh* The OP asks what was written in the sand. Regarless of whether Scripture is numbered for us NOW means nothing, but the point is Jesus couldn't have written the actual words "Deut. 22:22" in the sand, because AT THAT TIME it would not have been numbered. I wouldn't be so quick with the "duh's".

16. gekko

gekko New Member

ok i get it now.

sorry for the "duh"

but who said that Jesus wrote "deut. 22:22" in the sand?

17. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is an idea about understanding, and there can be another thought about what He wrote. No one can guarantee what was written. We can confirm it at the time we gather together in front of Him.

Jesus might have written some key words of Dt 22:22.

Apparently the people brought only the woman, which was unfair and wrong with a view to the commandment.

18. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree that he must have written the commandment. The Ten Commandments are themselves not really specific enough as to their sin. It was the commandment of punishing adultery they were breaking by twisting it by not bringing the male. It could have been one of their friends, or even one of them, themselves, or maybe all of them were using her; making "he who is without sin" all the more personal. Other than that, it could have been the name of the partners, being they or their friends.
    Those 2 choices seem to be the only things that could make them drop the stones and run like that.