1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what we are teaching kids

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TaterTot, Jan 27, 2007.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Great passage, yet it in no way supports your premise.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Anyone who is a doer of the word reaches people. Too many pew sitters are in churches teaching our young people to "have fun". A few years ago I spoke with one of the "big guns" in discipleship and he mentioned that the best thing we could do is to keep new Christians out of church for about two years because of the pew sitters who influence them. Perhaps you know what parachurch organization is the largest mission organization in the world.

Sometime when you get a chance read http://www.bibleteacher.org/Dm118_8.htm

3. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

IT is common for parachurch organizations to put down the church, but the fact is, Christ instituted the church...not the club, organization, society, etc.

Sounds like your "big gun" who would recommend new Christians avoid the body of Christ doesn't know the first things about discipleship.

Maybe he should be a doer, rather than a spouter of parachurch propaganda.

4. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

I read the article and did not see any problem in the church that I have not seen in parachurch organizations.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Again, nothing here that supports your premise that parachurch groups do better than churches. Can you show me the passage where God starts a parachurch group?

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

TaterTot,

Unfortunately, without the law there would be no grace. So, in a godly curriculum, I would expect to see a balance of God's Law (legalism) and His Grace (Christ and forgiveness) being taught.

God bless

Wayne

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do not take my word for it. I would much rather you investigate for yourself because you may get an "eye-opener". It may change your life like it did mine and some professors I know who were at SWBTS. When I waqs a students at SWBTS I woi;ld ask some of the professors how they learned to make disciples and I got very similar answers. Not one was from the church. When I was in college the high school youth leader learned hwo to make disciples from some who were in a parachurch organization. He did not learn that in theological school. When he began to implement that in the youth group God began to work in such a way that students began to be reached and the church began to explode with growth and send out many missionaries.

Are you saying the BGEA is a lie and Satan is in it? Are you saying that Satan started many mission organizations whose missionaries are supported by individuals rather than denominations and churches?

It is possible that my experience is wrong and that what I see happening in the church and parachurch organizations is wrong. When I was in a parachurch organization there were many who were memebrs of churches who had not a clue how to disciple anyone. I saw many who were thankful that someone took an interest in them and helped them grow and make disciples. If I had waited for the church to disciple me I would have been still waiting. Seldom did I ever see anyone come from a church who knew how to make disciples. 2/3 of the SBC churches in America are pleataued and dying. Only once in my entire life has anyone from a church said anything to me about Christ. Other than the one time it was always someone in a parachurch organization. At the campus where I live are about 800 students involved in parachurch organizations. That could easily change if the churches quit giving out fun and games and gave out real Christianity.

Show me a verse where Abraham was supported by a church when he did what God commanded. Many a man has had a great impact for Christ without the support of a church organization. Read http://www.bibleteacher.org/Dm118_8.htm

Wycliffe Bible Translators is the largest mission organization and they are not a church. The are larger than the SBC mission organization. They are a parachurch organization and are planting churches and doing Bible translation. Many other mission organizations not connected with churches are doing similar things.

Long before the CP in the SBC were mission organizations not connected with churches. Read about Hudson Taylor. He had a tremendous impact on the way missions is done today.

Jesus did many things which are not recorded in scripture. Does that make them unbiblical?

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just as an Oak tree is the filfillment of an acorn so is grace the fulfillment of God's law.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Maybe instead of beating your war drum of special discipleship (again), you could address the OP and help us teach our children in a more godly manner?

:wavey:

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Preach it loud and clear. That is exactly one of the reasons I quit pastoring, quit my business and went back to school to get a doctorate so I could teach at a university and reach students.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Then instead of beating your war drums and causing arguments that have little to do with the OP, maybe you could help ALL of us focus upon the OP and HOW to reach the children in a godly manner.

God gave the Church. God gave family. Man made public education.

But, the children are being consumed by the media.

HOW do we educate our children in a godly manner?

Do we homeschool?

Do we send them to private schools?

What do we do?

12. abonmarche'

abonmarche' New Member

RE: what we are teaching kids
    We all need to DRINK from the WELL!
    Tater TOT You are doing fine and the question is superb. Alot of answers I feel are going to the Cistern. Let me encourage you! John15:15 and 16. We are all friends in Jesus Christ and God has CHOSEN all of us in some weird way. We all have different talents. I am not allowed nor have the apptitude to teach in Private Christian School.. YOU do! Glory to God. So, I am sorry I walked on toes in this room. Your question again is warm hearted and you are trying to do the best under the LORDs shield to keep you from harm. BUT let me warn you that we are a two edge sword. Thank God you are trying.. So were the two Gideons in Florida passing out bibles to school kids. They have been arrested and now face tresspassing criminal charges for getting Gods word out. Maybe they too should have come aboard and in our room to share what they were are going to do. God be with You. Bye.

13. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

I too am bothered by whhat we teach our children. However i am more concerned that we teach them by our actions then by this book you mentioned. The TV is a vial tool that we allow to teach our children ungodly practices. I wonder just how many people would pay actors to come into their home in real life and act out the sceenes that are on tv while they gather and watch it alll in the flesh?
    What we need to do is untrain our children and stop training the ungodly practices.