1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What would be the best way to defeat your enemy?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Harold Garvey, Jul 24, 2009.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A good defense may help but it does not win wars.

It is a good offense that wins wars.

A basketball game is not won by a good defense but by the offense scoring baskets.

Cults groups are filled with people who do not know their Bible.

2. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

No one said he retired, but you accredit man with too much here. Are you adding there is more to the armor of God than he said?

Why is it you try to place spiritual sense into the realm of man's rationalization?

God's armor works in any situation, His weaponry against any thing fashioned with the work of men's hands.

Maybe that is thr root of the problem, we have men rationalizing what is in only in the power of God?

The enemy uses aversions to the simple truth by trying to incorporate his rationale into the mix when God already said it perfectly and within normal reason.

the problems happen when man puts his hand on it and leaves it in a place for dumbing down the intellect by lowering the standard.

3. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I agree, but the devil doesn't use a basketball in God's court, he tries to change the boundaries in men's eyes.

4. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Funnier, you say the KJV is God's word as well as what? man's word?:laugh:

5. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Who do I stand against? i ahve not pitted myself against anyone, but many here are pitting themsleves against me, so just who has this "problem"?

So now you've created a new tradition of maligning anyone who wants things kept within simple reason.

Why not ask me to reveal my resource, do you have a problem with Major General Douglas MacArthur?

Is some one like you to be understood as sayig God wasnt making use of the man to help destroy the japanese will to try and rule the world?

maybe your school of thought should be inspected more closely.

I have exposed the devil, why is it you are against my doing this?

6. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

You are suggesting something that is just not there.

I have not called anyone's salvation into question and find it reprehensible that you deven suggest this.

can you not understand?

7. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Taking some one's words and fashioning them the way you have is taking the truth and making it into a lie and you are calling me in retrospect your enemy.

KJVO folks (not those who prefer the KJV, but the real "onlies") are way off in my book. I disagree with them strongly. But....those who have confessed Jesus as Lord are my brothers and sisters in Christ, and they are not my enemies.

[/QUOTE]Show me where verbatim I called any BB member my enemy?

I point out The enemy's tactics in warfare and you assume i called others my enemy
    What a cheap trick!:mad:

8. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Do you really want him to preach convoltion and fabrication?

9. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I'm sorry to have started this thread only to see what came out of the woodwork.

My only intention was to point out what all our enemy does to cause God's army harm.

I won't post on this anymore for i believe i have been maliciously intreated by factions rooted in unrest.:godisgood:

10. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

If a man speaks or writes a truth, isn't he speaking or writing God's truth?

Isn't all truth from God? Isn't God's word truth?

Isn't genuine written truth from any source God's word? Isn't any genuine spoken truth also God's word?

11. Forever settled in heaven

o keep on laughing ... the Scripture tells us that the Pentateuch was written by Moses, the Psalms by David, the Epistles by Paul, and the Apocalypse by John. Moses said those words. David, too, and so did Paul and John.

so, are Moses, David, Paul, n John God?

duh.

betcha Garvey's got problems also with the Humanity of Christ. whether he's a secret Alexandrian, a closet disciple of Egyptian Bishop Cyril, hmm, we'll never know.

if it can be accepted that Christ is both 100% divine and 100% human, why is it KJBOists have such a hard time understanding the dual nature of the Bible?

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The truth is that Anton LaVey was a deceiver. The truth is that he stated lies to get there. While all of that is true it is not God's word.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That makes no sense whatsoever.
    I never once mentioned the number of books in the canon. That's a separate topic. I mention the canon because, since its formation, there has never been a time in history where only one translation of scripture existed. Version-onlyism is neither supported by scripture, nor by church history.
    That's a false statement. You dont' decry multiplicity of versions, you decry any use of a version other than the KJV.

#33 Johnv, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
  14. franklinmonroe

gb93433, I hope you won't be offended but I respectfully wish to disagree.

What you have written (that "Anon LaVey was a deceiver" and "he stated lies") is truth, and as truth it belongs to God. It must also be God's word because logically when A=B, and B=C, then A=C. All truth is God's truth, therefore any genuine truth you express is God's truth; God's word is truth, therefore the truth you communicate is legitimately part of God's 'collective' word.

Where else can truth originate? Nowhere! Truth is not Satan's word. Truth is not angels' word. Truth is not man's word. Whatever truth mankind 'discovers' (E=mc2, for example) was God's truth already. The truth that is preached, and the truth you share is all God's word, but NOT in the same sense as inspired scripture.

Furthermore, the precise scriptural useage of the term "God's word" is simply for proclaimations of truth (spiritual and gospel truth). The phrase "God's word" in the New Testament never specifically or exclusively refers to His revelation in its written form. Let's not forget that "God's word" is not some sacrosanct term. And the point I was trying to make, for those that wish to receive it: truth belongs to God wherever we find it (even if its found in some pages of the NWT).

#34 franklinmonroe, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
  15. franklinmonroe

No, I think he means what he wrote. He didn't say anything about useage; he actually decries the very existence of other versions.

16. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Why is it OK to have multiple English versions before the KJV but not OK after the KJV?

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A common KJVO response might be that the previous English translations were approaching perfection and that the KJV was the culmination of the process.

Of course coming close to perfection is a tricky business. How far off the mark would a translation have to be? And what edition of the multiple KJVs would be the standard?

Is coming close to a 10% difference in wording acceptable? The two Wycliffe translations would not qualify on that basis.

Is the New Testament only being considered?

So many variables.

I'm certainly not a KJVO -- just speculating on what they might come up with.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I see where you are coming from but I think that we should not forget that God's word is dynamic in that it is a living breathing message.

Heb. 4:12, "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart."

I see God's word as far more encompassing than just truth. Much like the comparison of a body that is dead and a body with life. They are both bodies but one is dead and the other alive. Truth can be just facts but God's word is far more reaching than just a compilation of facts and truths.

19. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got all those (non)answers before. Although I was hoping that the guy that made the statement would answer, I guess there is nothing new under the sun.:type: