1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What would Jesus do about man-made rules?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by npetreley, Jul 3, 2007.

1. bapmom

bapmom New Member

ok npetreley,

say my husband goes to your church sometime on our deputation journey and your church decides not to support us for some reason - do I then assume that you think we're not saved and that we ought to be kicked out of our church?

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

My house has a lot of man made rules and I expect my family to abide by them. Jesus had this to say about the Pharisees:

Matthew 23:2-3
    2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
    3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

Jesus hardly ever faulted them for what they taught to be righteous, it was what they did behind the veil of their outward works that He condemned.

Matthew 23:14
    14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Huh? I don't follow you. This isn't about support, it's about missionary service. This thread was a spin-off of the blast from the past thread, where questions like "Do you play cards?" were part of the application.

The funny thing is that I was responding to someone else's defense of this practice, where he played the "what would Jesus do" card. My response was, "Well, let's have a look at what Jesus did!" Then I got accused of playing the "what would Jesus do" card here in this thread! Obviously someone wasn't paying attention.

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I'm not the least bit surprised.

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I'm not sure what that means, but regardless, the idea that if it ain't in the bible, I don't have to do it, well, ain't in the bible. Submission and obedience to authority is of great importance to God, and folks who challenge their authorities to 'show me where it says' are guilty of rebellion, unless they are being told to sin.

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Baptist missionaries don't necessarily "apply" to be a missionary.....but I assume you know that. If a mission board/agency or a pastor rejects that person as someone they'd consider supporting then there will be someone else down the line who that missionary can go to who WILL support them. That's my point. There is no ruling hierarchy (like Pharisees) who can just discount the person completely from all of Baptistdom over one issue (or any amount of issues).

Im really only trying to point out the fact that there are some "man-made" standards which actually legitimately uphold Biblical principles. Im sorry if you felt like I was harping on you. I did not mean to come across that way.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm saddened that you support gambling and slavery. Neither of which is called a sin in the Bible.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Here is a quote from the original post in the other thread (emphasis mine):

It's from a Baptist Missionary application from 1970. Clearly, if you answered yes to any of the questions, you would probably have been judged unfit to be a missionary. Show me where it says in the Bible that if you do any of these things you're not fit to evangelize the Gospel. If you can find those prooftexts, I'll be glad to concede the point. Heck, show me where dancing or playing cards or visiting a movie or sports event violates some Biblical principle.

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Do you suppose it is the Christian duty of churches to support every missionary who comes through the door? If being a good steward with God's money means anything, it means making sure that those who you entrust it to will do with it what it was intended for, rather than lose it in a card game or betting on boxing matches.

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

First of all, read the posts before you rant about support.

Second, do you understand the difference between playing cards and gambling? Obviously not.

Third, the question about cards was most likely concerning the tenuous connection between playing cards and Tarot, not gambling, anyway.

11. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ah, the root of the problem. People who think the preacher is the head of the Church and the sole authority of the Church. End Result: Church members who act, talk, dress, think, and groom like Jack Hyles(insert your pastor here).

12. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Have you been drinking?

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Now we're getting all personal and making harsh statements all willy-nilly.

Nope. I still crack up when I say, "willy-nilly."

Just try it. After saying "willy-nilly" a few times, It completely washes away all the bitterness I carry around towards you people: :laugh: .

Of course, I just watched a video about bearded pre-millenial dispensationalist poker players who witnessed to natives over a beer, in a church fellowship hall run by a woman pastor who baptizes 5-point Calvinists while wearing pants made by illegal immigrants who only read the KJV, while listening to Christian rock.

So what do I know? :D

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You forgot to throw Harry Potter in there somewhere.

Willy nilly, of course.

15. npetreley

npetreley New Member

As a matter of fact, yes. I've had two cups of tea, a large SOBE green tea, two diet pepsis, half a diet 7up and one diet Big Red Vanilla Float today. So I've been drinking quite a lot. Did I break one of your man-made rules about Nutrasweet or something? I'm pretty sure all the diet sodas use Splenda. None of those sugar alcohols like Xylitol or Mannitol would stain these holy lips.

#35 npetreley, Jul 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  16. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I know where the original post came from....I read it before I posted in here in the first place. I think we jump the gun too quickly when we assume that answering yes to any of those things would have ruled them out.....most often these things were an indication that more discussion was needed, rather than an automatic decision-maker.

I cannot show you where any of them would violate anything Scriptural....it was not my point to go over specific standards in the first place and try to convince anyone else of my or anyone else's stance over those issues.

It just always shocks me how so many in threads like this automatically begin mocking any of the higher or stricter standards. It seems to me that if a person or organization wishes to hold to those standards then as INDEPENDENT baptists we ought to be able to allow them to do so without adding our own opinions about it.

Most if not all of those questions had to do not only with a personal standard but also with the association in the 70s attached to that activity. I can definitely see why they'd be asked of a missionary candidate.

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

now sir Grassy,

I did not say the preacher is the SOLE authority of the church.....I said he is most often the one who is financially responsible for what goes on in his local body. If you don't believe that is true go ask your local bank who they go to if the church gets behind on its mortgage payments.
    I don't know why you think I look, act, and groom just like my preacher (who is not Jack Hyles, nor his son-in-law either, btw)....I don't even look like his wife - though she sets a great example for me and if someone said I acted like her Id count it a great compliment.

We only follow a man so far as they follow the Lord anyway........no need to get yourself in a tither......:wavey:

18. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You write it off as an opinion but it's not. There is an important Biblical principle involved.

If there was nothing wrong with adding rules to the Bible as to how one should behave, Jesus would not have made it a point to break one such rule in protest. Jesus was saying, in so many ways, that they were focused on a false humility and self-made religion. They had created their own standard of righteousness, and lost touch with faith and the righteousness of God.

This is very relevant, and is spoken of in Colossians 2:

Paul is not saying that we should flaunt our freedom, or shove our freedom on others. But it is dangerous to start adding your own man-made rules to the Bible and count your obedience to them as contributing to your own righteousness. This is an indulgence of the flesh, because it is based in pride. It is not depriving the flesh of indulgence.

Worse, people who do go down that road tend to regard anyone who DOESN'T follow their rules as unsaved, just as the Pharisees did with Jesus. That is the fruit of false humility and self-made religion spoken of above.

If you don't think that happens all too frequently, you haven't been reading these threads.

19. mnw

mnw New Member

That is a fantastic Scripture you give npetreley. In studying this out I came across a sermon by Spurgeon on verse 18 of the same chapter. I think most would enjoy it: http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/3466.htm

While I obviously believe this Scripture I think maybe our understanding of it differs.

Is not this passage speaking, in part, of motive and temptation? Trying to satisfy the flesh by following certain man-mad principles.

In essence does it not teach against trying to abstain from certain acts, perhaps including actual sin, by our own strength. This may annoy certain political parties, but you cannot legislate righteousness.

The only way to live a righteous life is not by rules and regulations but by the instruction given in the broader context of this and the following chapter.

However, wile temptation cannot be averted by action, the ability to appease temptation can be avoided by certain rules.

I realise the context of this chapter is broader, speaking of devil worship even and it seems more of rules brought over entirely from the world and not actually derived from clear Biblical passages.

It is a great Scripture, but there is more there than meets the eye I believe.

20. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It's a great sermon. I love Spurgeon's works. But it's entirely wrapped around Colossians 2:18. It doesn't even address the rest of the passage.

In addition, what Biblical principles are you talking about that address playing cards, attending wrestling matches, going to movies? Are those passages any more clearly related to those things (cards, etc.) than the numerous passages about adding man-made rules to the Bible? I see plenty of the latter. I have yet to find a single passage about cards and movies.