1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"What Would the Modern Preacher Have Done?"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PastorSBC1303, Dec 14, 2007.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

2. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Oh, Really????!!!! Shazam!!! I've been accused of getting my sermons off internet sites, too!!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :type:

Sorry, PreacherSBC----my PC filter(besafeonline) has youtube filtered out!!! I'll take your word its a good sermon, though!!!

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What does Cal/non-Cal have to do with it?

I totally agree with his sermon and have said many of the same things on this board, but I got :tonofbricks: .

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wonderful sermon and wonderful refutation of the Bobby Welch (ie..."the bean counter") branch of the Southern Baptist Convention. Yes, I had to go there :laugh: .

7. christianyouth

Amen! :thumbs:

8. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Catch

That was an interesting, to the point message. That was a good catch on your behalf. You had your spirit out looking, and new a good message when you came upon it. I don't use youtube, but, many of my friends have sent me some very good thoughts from other sights.

Shalom, and blessings in 2008,

Pastor Paul :type:

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Good message, he closes with a good truth on repentance. How can one truly repent then go back to the same sin they just repented of?

10. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

The more I hear this man the more I get fired up.

The more I look at my preaching and see if I am sharing the true Gospel- clearly.

True repentance and true faith in Jesus Christ and Him alone.

Some may not like this preacing but it is needed, it is required.

"Lord, that you would burn this into me. That I would preach for a verdict, preach true repentance, preach true faith in Jesus Christ. Help me to do this. I cannnot do it own my own. " - that is my prayer.

11. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Paul is my favorite living preacher. I download tons of his stuff from www.sermonaudio.com

#11 JerryL, Dec 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2007
  12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Amen... :praying:

13. Chessic

Chessic New Member

This is what worries me about repentance, that if I ever, ever commit the same sin again, I never really repented. Meanwhile temptation follows and tempts...and tempts....and tempts....

Certainly a very skilled speaker. His ability to state frequently-heard themes in effective ways is impressive.

Though saying if you are bored with his presentation you are not saved is a bit harsh.

#13 Chessic, Dec 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2007
  14. christianyouth

Yeah, Paul Washer is also my favorite preacher, Jerry. He has two great messages that I think everyone should hear : Examine Yourself - Tests of true Faith and Regeneration and Self Denial. Both amazing sermons!

15. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I kind of took it that he was saying that if you come to Church just to fill a seat and sit waiting for the preacher to get done(on a week after week ordeal) so you could get on with the day, maybe you need to question if you are really saved.

16. Chessic

Chessic New Member

Maybe that was what he had in mind.

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The greek work for repentance is Metanoeo which simplified means a change of mind. Repentance describes a process which results in the changing of ones mind. In our case the mind is changing from sin to God.

I don't believe one has truly repented of the sin if the mind is still occupied with the sin (temptation) or one does not have the Godly strength to resist the temptation. There is a difference between repenting and just saying you're sorry.

If you want to start a new thread I will be glad to discuss my views of repentance in more detail after service, however, there is a very good recent thread by Bro Bob where he does an excellent job on this subject. Search for sorrow.

2Co 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Edited to add... or one does not have the Godly strength to resist the temptation

#17 LeBuick, Dec 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2007
  18. Chessic

Chessic New Member

A few weeks back I started a thread on repentance, too, but it was pretty much hijacked. lol

My concern is that these type of teachings seem to add ongoing conditions to salvation--I would even call them works. And they start to create lists of things we must do, or not do, in order to be saved, or to use as tests of whether we are or are not saved. Often I do these works and pass these tests, while other times I do not, despite my desire to do so (and even that can fail me when I'm in a bad mood). So I am left unsure of whether the pastor is teaching that I am not saved, and wondering what more I have to do to be saved.

When I hear a pastor teach that if you are restless or check your watch too often you are not saved, I think, "Maybe the pews are uncomfortable..." They often are. "Maybe the pastor's delivery was so dry and monotone, or his reasoning so full of holes, or he has preached on this exact same subject the exact same way again and again, or maybe his experience is so alien to mine that it's very hard to relate to...and I can hardly wait to get to the car to listen to radio ministry or to get home to get into my study Bible or the latest Piper book..." All these situations have happened to me, and I'm guessing I checked my watch a few times. I don't want to hear a pastor teach that because of this, I am not saved unless he is willing to help in some way I haven't already tried (new hoops to jump through).

#18 Chessic, Dec 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2007
  19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Preachers are solemnly charged by God and the Lord Jesus to preach the whole counsel of God faithfully (2 Tim 4:1-5).

Paul Washers is a great example of what that looks like.

20. Chessic

Chessic New Member

Whole counsel? Are you referring to His Word? Many think they have the "whole counsel" when they add some things that "God told them."

I see nothing in the verses cited that indicate a preacher could not be called with a specialization, say evangelism or eschatology.