1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What would you add to the backmatter of your book?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Onatah, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Onatah

Onatah New Member

I wrote a memoir based on the time of my life when I was in an abusive marriage. It is a double-testimony, if you will. I wanted to show, rather than tell, how a woman can keep a dangerous secret that endangers her life every day and why she would stay. I also wanted to show victims the good that can come of fighting against those reasons. The other side of my testimony, the bigger side, is how God is the only one I couldn't be isolated from. How I'd spanned the belief of my childhood that he was always within earshot to believing he could see but didn't care which evolved into my begging him to take me in my sleep and then being so angry when I woke up that I cursed him. Only when I'd decided to hand it over into his complete control did he light the space I was trapped within and allowed me to escape. It is not written in a 'preachy' way but just honestly how it all unfolded, even the ugly parts I'm not at all proud of.

I wanted to add something to the backmatter of the book to help others be led to salvation with Christ. He may be their only hope. I'm scared of doing this wrong. I would love some input on what you would include.

2. Sue-Ellen

Sue-Ellen Active Member

I can not give advice on what you should include but I just wanted to say that I would be interested in your book. I have been through the same thing myself but now and free from it. People who have not been in the situation can truly not understand what it is like! I am glad you are away from it now and have written to book so that you can inspire others to do the same.

3. Onatah

Onatah New Member

Thank you, Sue-Ellen.
    I'm sorry to hear you also had this experience but happy to hear you are also free.
    It's been a long process and quite painful to write down. Originally, I was just writing it down to vent to someone without actually telling anyone out loud. Get it off my chest so-to-speak. Then I was going to have a victory bon-fire and burn it up. When I told my dad of my plan he was furious. He always pushed me to become a writer. "Do you think even one person would be helped if you published it as a book?" ... well, after pushing me for an answer I finally had to concede that maybe just one person would be possible to help if I shared my story. He told me I was totally selfish if I could admit that and still burn it. So, here I am trying to get the courage to hit the publish button on my memoir for Kindle and maybe if anyone wants to read it, softcover. I wrote it as if sitting down and talking... to that one person. It's dedicated to my dad as well as that 'one person'.
    A dream would be to sell enough to donate money from the sale to women's shelters and/or programs and to give talks at high schools about red flags in relationships and self worth.

For safety reasons, I wrote it under a pen name. I don't think I need to worry about anyone finding me on this forum so I'll share my Facebook pen name author page with you if you'd like to follow my progress and find out when I gather my courage to hit the publish button.

Warning: the 'notes' section contains bits that may be triggers for those with PTSD from similar situations.

http://www.facebook.com/reginaevanstonauthor

4. Sue-Ellen

Sue-Ellen Active Member

Thank for the link I just went and liked your page. I am interested to reading what you have to say so I will check it out when I get home from work this evening. Your dad is so right I believe by telling your story you will help somebody. Being in that situation is so scary and you feel so all alone. I know I was always looking for things to read, trying to understand him and trying to plan my escape. I have never shared my story with too many people. You have a gift of being able to write. I wish you all the best in your adventure! I hope you do achieve your dream and someday are able to give talks at high schools. It is so important to get the word out there!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Onatah

Onatah New Member

Thank you for liking my page. I sincerely appreciate that. It will be a blessing if I'm able to help someone. That would somehow give the past a purpose other than just the PTSD it left me with. I understand the desire to understand him and I can't count the number of times I've asked why. I've even begged for answers at his gravesite. I was truly free once I stopped trying to understand him and started trying to understand me instead. Somewhere along the line, I'd laid myself aside and didn't even know who I was anymore. I left her there and pushed forward into who I wanted to be from that point forward.

• Like Like x 1