1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by saturneptune, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

The Dems talk Health Care Reform, but they don't walk it. In the original Health Care Reform bill there was not a single word about malpractice reform which is proven by Texas to reduce health care costs significantly. Why? Because the single biggest contributor to the Democrats for decades has been trial lawyers. That is a fact.

Some doctors pay as much as 200 thousand a year for malpractice insurance alone. Who do you think they pass the cost to? Us.

I am not against people being able to sue when doctors are careless or negligent, but it has to be reigned in significantly. Another Republican idea has been to allow insurance companies to operate across state lines. This would increase competition which would result in either lower costs or increased benefits, most likely both. And another idea is to allow medicines from other countries to be purchased here, medicines that have been proven safe in modern nations.

To say Republicans have not offered good ideas for health care reform is simply not true.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

NO facts have been provided to prove such a statement.

3. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

The latest Democrat focus is on adding student college loan "reforms" to the pending health care legislation! They just cannot help themselves! I haven't read the details of these latest proposals but I'm sure it involves giving away more money to selected individuals at the expense of those who actually earn it.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would keep the government out of it all together. Government is what makes it the mess it is today.

A one-night stay in the hosptal for me was $20,000. That was to pay for Hector's, Miquel's, Sofia's, Juan's and Jose's trips to the ER for their cold and flu symptoms.

5. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Here's a few things:

1. No more rescissions or denying coverage based on pre-existing conditions.

2. Tort reform. I had mixed feelings about this because of cases in which people were damaged by negligent doctors above the amount of the cap, but I think the overall benefits outweigh the downsides by reducing costs.

3. Open Medicare enrolment to everyone who wants to buy in to it to increase competition.

4. Allow the government to negotiate with drug companies on costs for people who are enrolled in Medicare, Medicaid, and the Indian Health Service.

5. Allow drug re-importation from Canada.

6. Make sure Medicare reimbursements are at a level where doctors and hospitals can make money off of it.

7. Institute an insurance mandate to prevent people from gaming the system by enrolling after they get a major disease (ties in with #1). This also keeps costs down for everyone by ensuring that young people, etc. also buy insurance which spreads the risk around. Under my plan, we will allow people to choose between a public and private options.

8. Offer subsidies based on income level.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Then why didn't they do something about it from 2001-2009? The answer is because they are not conservative, or interested in serving the people. They are interested in pandering for votes and gaining power.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree with you 100%. A strict control of our borders would do wonders for the cost of health care. The only government involvement I might differ with you on is tort reform, and putting some kind of controls on any medical community business making unreasonable profits, and denying people coverage for pre existing conditions. I also might have some kind of tax deduction or credit for those who could not afford the premiums.

A healthy competition in the free market place will keep a check on rising prices.

8. Spear

Spear New Member

You're taling about " 2-parent households ", but are only talking about " Mom ". What's " Dad " doing ? Having a beer with some crackers, watching Superbowl from the sofa ? When both work fulltime, in my way of thinking, men clean the house, care about kids homework, shop at the supermarket, and yes, they cook too ...

Preparing a salad with tomatoes, tuna, or soup isn't expensive in time.

When i saw " Supersize me " movie, and what kids were eating at school (where " professionnals who have time because that's what they're paid for " are meant to cook ...), i understood where part of the fat America comes from. Kids eat whatever they want, without any control. Do you just want to eat fries ? Do you want 1/4 pizza ? Just do it. Each and everything was fried in oil :tonofbricks: vegetables were ... nowhere in fact. Even if there were, kids, if you give them choice, will prefer fries, pizzas or burgers. They have full choice, and then take bad habits because no teacher/cook guides/obliges them at the restaurant.

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true. When I attended public high school, every single day we had something deep fried, along with greasy pizza, hamburgers, french fries, etc. I do find it interesting that our GOVERNMENT RUN public schools feed the kids pure junk like this, then the same GOVERNMENT screams we need healthcare reform. They are the ones creating the problem in the first place.

I also think we are forgetting the extremely high cost of prescription drugs, many of which are needed just to live. Personally, I had to stop taking a certain medication--the price was hundreds of $$ a month! I had to decide whether I wanted to suffer physically or suffer financially. Wow, what a fun choice! Since I cannot take the "suggested" generic medications without severe side effects, I must pay FULL PRICE for the name brands because even our insurance will not pay the high cost of name brand drugs. There's a major problem here--it's called greedy drug companies getting rich off sick Americans.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't excuse the lack of effort, but it tells anyone that knows how Congess works how futile those attempts would have been

BTW, is your dog a democrat or a republican? He sounds smart enough to be a republican. :thumbs:

#50 carpro, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2010
  11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They could if the market would let 'em.

But government interference already skews the free market process in upward direction, cost wise,, so no one knows what the real market would be.

You want more of the same? Do you think really think it will be less expensive?

#51 carpro, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2010
  12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Experience doesn't lie.

My wife and I have withstood four major surgeries in the last twenty years, one for me and three for her. Each one costs more than $40,000 with an off work recuperative period of 6 weeks to 90 days. Yes, we had insurance. But were still left holding the bag for tens of thousands of medical bills, of which we paid every penny.

For the last 10 years, even in a year without majory surgery, our out of pocket medical expenses have exceeded $3000 each year, and are expected to exceed $5,000 this year.

We did not lose our home (not even close) , did not declare bankruptcy, and paid every penny of every bill. In our best year, we never even came close to earning as much as $100,000 combined.

The secret? No loss of income during time off work to recuperate.

I'll leave you to decide how that could possibly happen.
    Hint: We were not covered by a "cadillac" union type health plan.

13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Everyone is not as blessed as you are.

BTW, be carefull how you brag about how you have been able to do so much while other have not, God may have a surprise in store for you. After all remember, God hates pride!

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Blessed? Yes. In a thousand ways.

A little planning for the future also helps...if you know what I mean.:godisgood:

15. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I wish you had told me that 45 years ago! :laugh:

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't know it 45 years ago. Spend every penny I made was my motto.
    I was young and healthy. Bulletproof and invisible. Nothing could take me down. Like so many people today.

I really began to pay attention about 34 years ago when I spent seven years in the insurance industry, about half of it in individual life and health insurance. The other half in the group health insurance business. I paid attention and decided I could better sell what I believed in enough to buy myself.

There are other factors, but the lessons I learned then...and applied...served us well when we needed it most. It didn't hurt that I am married to an exceptionally smart and responsibly frugal woman. :godisgood:

I give God all the credit for all of it, starting with that woman I mentioned.

#56 carpro, Mar 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2010
  17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If someone was holding me hostage and threatened my life unless I declared loyalty to one of the two parties, I would still say Republican to save my life. The fact is though, since Reagan left office, it has become a useless, irrelevent entity. It was reasonable at one time to hope or wish that the party would reverse course and return to its conservative, Constitutional roots. That hope meant no need for a third party, or a party to replace the Republicans. However, twenty years has passed, and things have continued to spiral into the liberal abyss.

So how long are you going to wait? Continued waiting is aiding and abetting liberalism, larger government, and greater deficits.

18. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Excellent, brother Carpro, excellent!

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I very much admire how you have planned the ups and downs of your life, and your self reliance. You have had lots more than me to face. This operation I just had in January with the six bypasses of the heart was my first trip to the hospital, and I supppose the prices and pain took me by surpirse. I have saved and of course, in this case, I had BCBS insurance.

I have two things to be thankful to the Lord over. One is that he gave me 57 years of health with no hospital visits. The other is that he allowed the doctors to find the problem in time, as my mom died at 54 from the same thing, and her dad at 58.

My wife is very frugal also, almost to the point of driving me crazy with the coupons. My point is that I think we both treat life pretty much the same way. Our focus of disagreement is the nature of the Republican Party. Your post is excellent.

As a side note, if you have had any dealings with the VA, would you please send me a message, as I have some questions in relation to medical care. Thanks.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand the shock. In 1990, I had a brain aneurysm, spent 16 days in intensive care and had surgery to repair the aneurysm. I was too dingy to understand what had happened when I got out of the hospital. My wife had to face it all alone, with friends , family, and of course, God's love and grace.

I eventually could understand that the bill was over $40,000 (and that was 20 years ago). All but about $3,000 of it was covered by medical insurance, but I wasn't going to be physically able to work for at least 60 days and mentally ready to work for God only knew how long. But I was alive!!! With a fighting chance for a normal life.

Two things helped us financially through that crises. One was a little hospital indemnity policy I had taken out 10 or 12 years earlier. It paid $600 for every day I was in intensive care. That's $9600 tax free.

Number two was a disability income policy I took out through my employer that , after the 1st 30 days of disability, paid me 60% of my prior earnings. You see, I believed being disabled had the potential to be worse than dying. Being exposed to the insurance industry taught me that.

Neither of those policies were given to me. I paid for both of them. Our combined income at the time was less than $50,000.

One other note. What if I had died? The insurance business convinced me I was responsible for my family whether I was alive or dead. So, I carried $400,000 worth of life insurance at the time.

I know some people will think I'm bragging. I can't help that. But every time I hear some of these horror stories, I just have to wonder if they took any steps to protect themselves, or they depended on their employer or the government to do it all for them while they bought cars, etc. with their money.

#60 carpro, Mar 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2010