1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's the role of a woman according to the bible?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Nov 18, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Are women allowed to also pursue a career or does God want them to be submissive housewives? When women pursue a career and are looking for fame,success and power then is this against God's will?
    Or what about women being in leadership either in politics or economy? Is it even biblical that women have positions where they are the top dogs?
    Or is it okay according to the bible that women usually earn less than men even if they have the same jobs? Or is this not okay?

2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

3The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

4That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

5To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." - Titus 2:3-5

Yes.

They shouldn't be.

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." - Isaiah 3:12

No.

Wages for labour are an agreement between the employer and the employee. Matthew 20 demonstrates that an employer can give a laborer whatever wages he desires and it is not up to the other laborers to murmer about it.

"And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages." - Luke 3:14

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    xdisciplex,

I usually try to answer most of your questions. But, I am going to have to stay out of this one.

I feel that we on the Baptistboard have taken this idea of a woman's worth to God and to humanity and have discussed it to death and back again with not one shred of agreement nor value of discussion at all.

In my opinion, there have been people across the world who have manipulated the truth of God's Word into a baseball bat and have beaten women with it for centuries upon centuries. There are opinions pertaining to the worth of a woman that are quite unbelievable among people who call themselves christians. The baptistboard has been no exception over the years.

As you see in the post above by Rufus_1611, he has "used" Matthew 20 and Luke 3 to answer your question about women being paid less than a man for the same job in the affirmative (albeit a subtle affirmative). And according to my interpretation of what he is saying, he feels that not only can an employer pay her less, but that she should not open her mouth in protest.

xdisciplex, do not be surprised if you start a heated thread here. That's ALL this type of subject does here on the BB. I can't deal with it.

I do hope that wasn't your intent.

4. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

First -- yes, women are allowed to pursue careers. There are both Old and New Testament examples. Proverbs 31 is an excellent beginning

Women are to be submissive to their husbands (Ephesians 5:22, Colossians 3:18) and in return, and in return they receive Ephesians 5:25 and Colossians 3:19. The responsibility belongs to both partners.

You will hear widely varying opinions on this. Within a congregation - NO. If we keep God's will foremost in our lives, Christians may pursue secular careers that might bring fame, success or power. But only within His will. Why would a Christian wish to do so outside of God's will?

How about Matthew 20:13? When I was hired, I knew the salary. If it were not acceptable to me, I could apply elsewhere. I know and have worked with women who have achieved salaries matching and in some cases exceeding their male peers.

#4 Not_hard_to_find, Nov 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2006
  5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Pro 31:10 An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels.
    Pro 31:11 The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain.
    Pro 31:12 She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life.
    Pro 31:13 She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands.
    Pro 31:14 She is like the ships of the merchant; she brings her food from afar.
    Pro 31:15 She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens.
    Pro 31:16 She considers a field and buys it; with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
    Pro 31:17 She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.
    Pro 31:18 She perceives that her merchandise is profitable. Her lamp does not go out at night.
    Pro 31:19 She puts her hands to the distaff, and her hands hold the spindle.
    Pro 31:20 She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy.
    Pro 31:21 She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household are clothed in scarlet.
    Pro 31:22 She makes bed coverings for herself; her clothing is fine linen and purple.
    Pro 31:23 Her husband is known in the gates when he sits among the elders of the land.
    Pro 31:24 She makes linen garments and sells them; she delivers sashes to the merchant.
    Pro 31:25 Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come.
    Pro 31:26 She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
    Pro 31:27 She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
    Pro 31:28 Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
    Pro 31:29 "Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all."
    Pro 31:30 Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
    Pro 31:31 Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

one should see from this thread why certian denominations are underrepresented in board rooms and other places of power. Of Course, they would say this is caused by their being "righteous" in an evil community.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

This just gets more ridiculous.

8. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Please clarify. That didn't make any sense to me.

9. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I don't want to cause a heated debate. I thought that the answer to this question was actually quite simple but as I see it's not that simple. :confused:
    I have read a thread about women being allowed to be pastors on another forum and come across a few disturbing quotes. It seems like instead of sticking to what the bible says some women rather prefer tearing the bible apart and totally questioning it's authority. I don't think that this is the right way. If God allowed to bible to be manipulated by evil men which had problems with women then he's not God. I mean if the bible isn't reliable anymore and God just sits up there and watches how his once pure word gets more and more distored over the centuries then we can directly forget it and throw the bible into the trash.
    Here are a few quotes from this thread:

10. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

It is my personal opinion that it becomes heated because of extreme views -- men who look upon successful women in secular fields as rebellious to submission scriptures, all the way to women who will not submit to masculine authority in the church or elsewhere.

You are correct that we cannot be selective in determining which verses in the Bible to accept. Thomas Jefferson could not accept a great deal of the Bible and basically rewrote it to fit his views. If we all did that, none would match. None would contain the whole message from God to man.

11. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I have the impression that some christian women simply have a problem accepting that because Eve sinned they will always have to suffer from this. I mean maybe if I was a woman I would react the same way. This isn't really good news, right?
    Who wants to hear something like this? According to Paul it sounds like women will always be easily deceived and this is why they have to be quiet in church but what I don't understand is why this is so? I mean why should a christian woman which has the holy spirit still be prone to being deceived while a man isn't? How does this fit together with this bible verse which says that you can do anything through Christ?

And what about the veil which women are supposed to wear? This really sounds a bit strange. Why should a veil protect them from angels? It's just a piece of cloth.

12. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

She was taken from man's side.

Work it out. It's not too difficult.

David

13. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

satan has been very successful in convincing the Christian nations that women are mans equal. And that there are no meaningful differences outside their physical bodies.

14. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Hillclimber1, you think, cool. The fact that you use the word satan say's a lot about you.

I adore true Christians.

David

15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

The Bible says Adam had to suffer as well and work by the sweat of his brow, so not only women suffer because of sin.

Women in a general sense tend to be somewhat more emotional than men do which, if allowed to cloud the judgment is not a good thing.

Of course this emotional thing is a good thing when it comes to raising children and things like that.

It is all in how you look at things.

Not having to work by the sweat of your brow is nice for women. :)

...and not having to bear children is nice for men. :)

Its true though that men and women have access to the Holy Spirit and there were women Prophetesses mentioned in the Bible.

Joel:2:28: And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions

#15 Claudia_T, Nov 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2006
  16. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

One of the best preachers and most compassionate and effective pastors I have ever met, let alone had the privilege to work under, is my current employer.

Limiting God is a bad idea.

17. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Exceeding God's limits is worse than a bad idea.

18. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

But WHY? Why cant a woman be a Preacher?

Not just "because God says so".

The old testament says "Come let us REASON together".Isa:1:18: So whats the reason?

Claudia

19. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

"A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;" - 1 Timothy 3:2

"Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well." - 1 Timothy 3:12

"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." - 1 Timothy 2:11-12

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." - 1 Corinthians 14:34-35

"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." - Titus 2:4-5

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body." - Ephesians 5:22-23

20. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Is it not sufficient that God said no?