1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's this? A perfect Bible?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Brother Adam, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Are there in existance today any Bibles in the English language that have been infallibly translated and are without any error?

Can Christians take the KJV or any other Bible and use sections at face value without taking context into account?

Christians like to use verses such as "All have sinned" and "who so ever believes" to form a functional and complete doctrine around. Is this how doctrine should be formed?

When the book of James says that no man is saved by "faith alone" should that be taken at face value? Should "All have sinned" be taken at face value? Or even "whosoever believes"?

Do you feel that you ever have to jump through hoops to make some verses fit into your theology? Should you have to?

Just stuff to think about.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No. Because koine Greek is much more detailed and difinitive than English, there is no English translation in existence that are infallible or completely error free. It's simply not possible to have an infallible translation from Greek/Hebrew to English.

As far as verses at face value, no. No verse should simply be taken at face value. Every verse should be taken in the context with which it was penned. Contamporary application needs to be mindful of the context, so as not to "add" doctrine that was not intended. The verses on headcoverings and women preachers are two good examples where face value sans context results in false doctrine.

3. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

How then should one form doctrine using scripture within the context it is written? We love to talk about context, but what actual measures can we take when reading scripture to be sure beyond any reasonable doubt, what we are teaching and believing is what God would intend us to teach and believe?

As I sit here and think about these things, I am reminded once again at how amazing grace really is. The Bible is centered around the salvation of God's choosen people, and that he would choose to include me, a gentile, in the New Covanent is enough to move the bravest of souls to their knees. As I study the harmony of the scriptures, from Genesis to Revelation, and how its all interconnected, each verse, plot and book, and am left in sheer awe.