1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's wrong with Catholicism?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by BrianT, Jan 16, 2003.

1. RTB

RTB New Member

Brian T

When you talk about hearing falsehoods from your Baptist lifeline and kind, scriptural, remarks from Catholics, I don't know what to say about that, although I can say that as a member of a Baptist church and someone who listens to what other people say, I hear alot of things said that do not necessarily go along with what I would expect someone of faith to say, we all have and have participated on occasion. But the comments of individuals, ignorant or learned, do not lead me to question my faith, or the path of worship that God has chosen for me. I am not saying that you are questioning your faith, although the idea of inclusiveness of my basic beliefs with that of Catholics seems foriegn to me. My only knowledge of Catholics is from my brother-in-law, he was raised in a strict Catholic home and is 65 yrs. old and recently accepted Christ. He has said that he is thankful that Jesus gave him the opportunity for redemption because he never got that opportunity from his previous experience. He was never taught that salvation was a personal relationship between yourself and Jesus.

Put aside all the words and comparison of scriptures and it comes down to the teachings of the Church. If a church organization can't teach salvation as the personal experience that it is, then something is not right about that church. I really have no desire to find out what that problem is, I am satisfied with my present home of worship. I can only hope that when the opportunity presents itelf, that the Holy Spirit will lead, guide and supply the necessary words for letting someone know that they too, can have a personal relationship with Jesus.
    BrianT, you asked what do you do when you learn that your Baptist "lifeline" is giving you falsehoods about Catholics? Well, evidently they are similar to me in that they are ignorant of Catholics and have no desire to learn anything else about them. What the majority of us do know about them is so different, that it might as well be from another planet. We can't comprehend it. And to be honest, what I have read in this thread has not changed my views at all. If the Church you are in, supplies the necessary avenue for worship, it is open to the Holy Spirit for guidance, it teaches a sound scriptural doctrine, it is a good supportive church family and it is working for the souls of lost sinners, then why make a mountain out of a molehill? Look for the good in the church, not pick and choose things that you disaggree with and make it into an issue that for yourself challenges the validity of what you have believed to be TRUTH. If we all took the time, we could pick out things in our Church that we don't like and if we dwell on it then eventually it will overcome good sense and cause problems for yourself and your Church. Take a little time, pray about it, and ask yourself if the validity of someones statement about the Catholic Church is enough to cause you the doubt that it has? If it is, then take the time and start to rebuild the foundation, that your faith is built upon. If it isn't, then let it go and hang out that "Gone Fishin" sign and lets get back to work.

In Christ

RTB

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Hi RTB,

I'm not trying to pick apart my church. In fact, my church is more lenient towards Catholicism than most Baptist churches.

The problem is that when Baptists in general say the Catholic church believes this or that and are being unscriptural, and then I learn that not only do Catholics believe something different than what Baptists say they do, but also have scriptural and other good reasons, then I think I owe it to myself to investigate. I do not want to pass up on a truth just because I'm comfortable in my own church and doctrine - I'm not infallible, and may currently be mistaken on many things.

3. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Brian, the problem may be this...the Catholics you are asking may be giving their own beliefs, which may not line up with what the RCC teaches.
    I have run into this repeatedly.
    I once even showed a dear friend, in the Catechism, where the Church believes that baptism forgives sins and she said "we don't believe that," meaning her family, not the Church.
    If an individual Catholic does not believe the teachings of their church, praise God!!!

MR

4. BrianT

BrianT New Member

No, that is not the problem.

5. Daniel Dunivan

Daniel Dunivan New Member

Pastor Larry,

You still haven't provided an example from each. Also, I took elementary theology classes as well as advanced theology classes, and your opinion is not universal. In fact, among mainstream biblical scholars and theologians it would be laughed at. First of all, many other texts from the same time period (especially during the OT compilation) claim high authority for themselves, but they are not scripture. Secondly, the usage in the church determined canonicity, and a universal recognition of the texts as authority was part of a developing tradition whether based in a magisterium in Rome, a regional council of the church, or a local bishop. To say that the bible alone can prove what is scripture is complete circular reason and logically unacceptable. I hold the scriptures in high regard not because they say I should, but because my tradition (baptist) says so and my experience of the living God testified therein also bears witness to their accuracy on matters of faith. I realize that this is a faith stance that I take, but I take it with my eyes wide open--not tightly shut.

I think that your presupposition that the Bible is monolithic on all things disallows any interpretation of the bible outside of yours. It also disallows any struggle to find God that is not completely in line with your experience. I perceive these as sinfully arrogant.

RTB,

I agree that individual commitment to Jesus is how one should respond to Him. However, when we talk about personal salvation, we should be careful that a Jesus and me attitude does not bleed through and the biblical idea of the salvation of the Church as a whole doesn't get lost. If God is community, then how can His people be anything less?

Grace and Peace, Danny [​IMG]