1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Whats wrong with college students today?

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Columbia's is a fine and historic Cuban restaurant that my wife and I have been to a couple of times here in the Ybor City section of Tampa. This is what happens when you let a drunken sorority from the University of Florida in to have a meal. They acted like a bunch of Gators. Its a shame.

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBKQ7WQ68F.html

2. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It goes back to a the way they were raised and b the booze causing them to act out inappropriately/
    Faithgirl

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Breeding isn't always a factor.
    I would wager that some, if not many, of these young women come from church-going, Bible-toting, grace-saying families, regardless of denomination or religion.
    There's just something about entering college.....being far away from home, and parents, and all those rules, and a community that you grew up in and knows you...

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Most colleges have succumbed to the liberal mindset of the NEA, in an 'anything goes' atmosphere, where 90+ % of professors are liberal. Couple that with youngsters still trying to decide for themselves what adulthood is, but not yet rid of childhood/adolescence.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It may not be all upbringing, but to an extent it is. Compared to our generation, or at least where I grew up in Mississippi, there was not a lot of material things to give to children in those days. Parents could not afford it. Here are some things I have noticed since my generation, having raised my kids now.

1. Parents buying a child a car, sometimes new one.
    2. Lavish gifts at Christmas, birthdays, sometimes thousands of dollars.
    3. Not having to work after school for those extras one wants.
    4. Not helping with chores at the house, such as the yard and keeping rooms clean.
    5. Not much family time, going to and fro
    6. Going to watered down, entertainment oriented churches when they go.
    7. Not eating at home much, eating out on demand. It used to be a treat.
    8. Multiple vacations every year.
    9. Loss of respect for teachers, principles, or church leaders, and parents taking up for the brats they are raising.
    10. Being promoted in school to the next grade with an F average.

Many other things could be listed, but it all forms an atmosphere in 18 years that says, I can have what I want, when I want it without consequence, and without paying. It shows we are raising self centered brats without any sense of responsibility.

6. North Carolina Tentmaker

Well yes, I can agree with you, but not all of them. Some kids regardless of what they are given reach a point in their lives when they take responsiblity for their own lives and become adults.

OK, so the fancy restaurant allowed a bunch of drunken college kids to book and event and now they are sorry for it. They won't make that mistake again.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It shouldn't have been done in the first place.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

it goes along with a disturbing trend...the prolonging of adolescence until the mid-20's.

(not saying this is appropriate for any age; but our society has combined the carefree nature of adolescence with the freedom of young adulthood; thus, the aforementioned scenario, and many others like it. (the lack of moral restraint today doesn't help)

No doubt...it makes ministry to and with college-aged students more challenging than ever.

9. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Many conservatives on talk radio and TV have spent much time defending the Duke lacrosse players and the rape allegations. But had they not hired the strippers in the first place they would not have ended up in court defending themselves.

10. Joe

Joe New Member

Parents should train their children from birth that going away to College is a HUGE no-no. Then when they turn 18, they will know how important it is to remain living at home while attending the local Community College. The Colleges are so liberal, pushing their unchristian agenda onto impressionable teenagers and young adults. Dangerous worldly territory.

They could easily get infected with an STD, get a girl pregnant, drink or use drugs etc...

At that young age, they are not ready to be on their own.

#10 Joe, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I assure you, people will party at 20 just as quickly as they will at 18.

12. Joe

Joe New Member

Ok, well maybe that's correct for some kids. I like to believe those extra 24 months allow time to mature into adulthood. I partied maybe 2-3 times at age 18, but can't remember anytime after that. By age 20, I was married with a baby.

#12 Joe, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Way too broad a brush to paint everyone that way.

I moved out at 18. Good move for me. Of course, I paid for college myself as well. So college wasn't an "extended adolescence" for me.

Not every 4 year college is liberal.

Not every community college isn't.

And staying at home certainly helps some kids avoid the moral traps you mentioned. But it's not a cure-all. And for others, going away to college (the right situation for them) might actually be helpful. It was for my best friend in college.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

Saw this post after I posted.

15. North Carolina Tentmaker

That's the truth. I did hear one comentator very early make two statements.

Guys - if you don't want to be accused of rape, then don't hire girls to come over to your house and take their clothes off.

Girls - if you don't want to be raped then don't take your clothes off for money.

I forget who said that but it does make a pretty simple rule to live by, when people take their clothes off bad things happen. You could put that down right next to stay away from the girls with dragon tattoos.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

[​IMG]

17. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have seen this exact attitude in the Christian school where my children attend, and I am shocked. When I was in high school, my parents would have backhanded me if I sassed them, much less a teacher. Now the parents are chewing out the teachers when their kids get in trouble at school. The kids are calling the shots, and the principals cater to them because the schools lose tuition money if the parents get mad and pull their kids out. It's crazy. We should be supporting the teachers, not blaming them for our parenting mistakes!

18. Joe

Joe New Member

I won't say what many call them here, but the first word rhymes with stamp, and ends with stamp
    So.... if you see any tattoo stamps, run!! :thumbsup:

#18 Joe, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2007
  19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Exactly why my wife retired at teaching 4th grade for 30 years, she might of taught a few more years, but the parents had become so hard to deal with, she just retired and has never even visited them since.

BBob,

20. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I agree, but it's not just the liberals. Look at Bush, he was drunk, using drugs, and partying.
    Even in "christian colleges" where people are supposed to know how to act aren't acting very Christian at all.
    They still are on drugs, drunk, and so on.
    It would be better not to send your child off to any school, unless they are under strict supervision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.