1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's wrong with Ron Paul?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Sep 1, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I've listened, for some time now, to a local radio talk show host sing the praises of Ron Paul. And for a good while there he made a convincing case for the man. I like the idea of someone who takes the constitution seriously especially as it relates to keeping big government in check. But then I started reading some things being said by a few respected bloggers and I followed some links to some seriously kooky people who were big Ron Paul fans. I started to think a little differently about the man.

http://www.brutallyhonest.org/brutally_honest/2007/08/whats-wrong-wit.html

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No one is perfect, but I will take this man and his flaws against a Giuliani and his abortion stance any day, a Romney and his flip flopping any day, any Democrat running, or for that matter, the present inept governemental leadership.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Though Paul has some good points, I am not convinced he is the best man for the job. I have not made up my mind as to whom I may support, but Thompson does look good. Still lots time to consider and lots of issues to be considered.

Salty

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do like Paul's position on the war, but I do believe that he's living in a dream world. IMO, libertarianism is not feasible in the contemporary world.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I disagree somewhat. I belive liberterianism can work. That isn't my problem with Ron Paul. He's too pro-choice, too inconsistent, too much pork and earmarks. I want a solid conservative, not a Rudy, Ron, or Mitt.

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Great, now we are starting to base our opinion of the man from the people that follow him?!? And because he won't distance himself from these "people" we are to hold that against him.

Geezz what next?

Name one person running that you could get behind 100% without fault.

Jamie

7. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

There are kooks who follow and support Romney, Rudy, McCain, etc. , so if you are basing your decision on who to support based on who has the kooks behind them and who doesn't then you will wind up supporting none of the candidates.
    Btw, you can read the bio of the person who wrote this blog @ http://www.brutallyhonest.org/about.html. For someone who admits to being spirtually confused I would question his ability on sorting out the kooks from the normal folks.

#7 Petra-O IX, Sep 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2007
  8. 2 Timothy2:1-4

I see the DOR's do well to demonize the President but are thin skinned when it comes to their leader.

9. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

:confused: What's a DOR? Is that an acronym you made up?

#9 Petra-O IX, Sep 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2007
  10. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

The problem is you're not "demonizing" Ron Paul because of his actions, but because of the people that follow him. But on the other hand, President Bush has done a lot to cause people to "demonize" him.

Your response is Apples to Oranges.

Jamie

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul's main problem is that he's not a Republican, but he's running in their primary.

He will never, ever be the Republican nominee for president.

12. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

I would say with the exception of Ron Paul that everyone else running in the Republican primaries resembles a Democrat.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

You hit the nail on the head! Though, I like Bush II, I do not agree with everything thing he is for.

Bottom line: Take the ten most important issues and see how your candidate stacks up.
    Morality can be one of those issues! As far as morality goes I use a "5 year indicator"
    Past 5 years carries a major concern.
    5-10 years, (without reoccurring), carries a air of concern;
    10-15 years minor concern;
    15 - 20 years very little concern
    20+ years basically forgiven.

The question is: What is in morality? in-proper sexual conduct, (and to what extent), drinking ( 1 can of beer - DWI), Financial problems - bounced checks thru bankruptcy) ect, ect, ect

14. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would go one step further: Vote your conscience, not "most likely to win" or "lesser of two evils." The only vote thrown away is the one you didn't cast.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There is only one issue that I will not vote for a candidate because of, the others I consider in totality. That issue is abortion. That would exclude Giluiani and Romney.

16. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Ron Paul is the only GOP candidate I would even consider at all. But with what the Republicans have done on their watch, I don't think I can vote for any of them. No the Democrats are not much better, but they more closely align with me on social issues and the war in Iraq, so it's gonna be one of them and whoever gets the nomination. I used to always vote for the Republican nominee, then voted Libertarian twice (both for the late Harry Brown), then for the Democrat twice.

While many issues are important, I am not a single-issue voter. As for the abortion issue, I am against late term abortion; but believe in keeping abortion legal in the early term, and in late term to protect the woman's life and well-being, hence I would have to consider a candidate's position on this issue as well, among others. Particularly, I want a person who will not wipe their feet on the Constitution and civil liberties the way the current administation has done.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree with your statement except the abortion issue. Your statement shows that you are thinking each and every election, and you are not tied to one party. The thing that puzzles me most on this board (and I voted twice for this person) is how any conservative, discerning Christian can continue to support the Bush Administration, or vote for a Bush like candidate in the future.

18. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Bush, IMO, has played the conservative Christian voters for political gain. He is not one of them, but has said the right words to fool many. Time to see him and his entire crew for what they are.

19. 2 Timothy2:1-4

I am apt to agree with you. While you and I disagree on the war I do not trust the president like I did. His position on the border, illegals, and the Nafta Highway calls into question his charcter.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Paul closely reasembles a Libertarian, which is , of course, what he is.

He should run as one if he wants to be on the ballot. He has no chance as a Republican.