1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's wrong with Ron Paul?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Sep 1, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#21 carpro, Sep 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2007
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism." - Ronald Reagan

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That statement has a lot of truth in it.

Paul should quit being dishonest about being a Republican and run as a Libertarian.

Otherwise, he'll never get on the ballot.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Is that what you would have told Ronald Reagan to do, carpro?

2) What is your personal definition of what you believe a Republican should be?

3) Does Rudy Giuliani meet your personal definition of what a Republican should be?

4) Should only people who meet your personal definition of what a Republican should be be allowed to be members of the Republican Party?

5) Should only people who meet your personal definition of what a Republican should be vote for a Republican candidate for public office?

#24 KenH, Sep 2, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None of which is the point.

If he wants to be on the ballot, he should run as what he is, a Libertarian.

He's wasting his time with the Republican primary. By the time he gets around to running as a Libertarian (if he does), it'll be too late.

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I believe I have been very clear...I do NOT condone "taking of the lives of unborn babies". I DO place the right to life for the woman ahead of the fetus if that choice is necessary, and neither choice is perfect. Sadly, some situations don't have good outcomes, only choices between bad ones.

I also don't believe a very early termination of a pregnancy where a mass of undifferentiated cells is removed as "killing babies". The woman's life is far more important at that point than a mass of cells that cannot think, feel, hear, smell, touch, emote, or any of the attributes that babies have. Where in the gradual progression of a zygote to blastocyst to fetus does it become a person? I don't know, but I do not believe it to be in very early pregnancy. I also don't believe scripture supports such a view that life begins at conception. I also have read that many pregnancies spontaneously abort and the woman has no idea she was ever pregnant. Does this make God an abortionist by your view?

Actually, you should take that answer to a new thread if you want to reply. I don't really want to derail this one into YAAD (Yet Another Abortion Debate).

All that said, I find it appalling that abortion is used as birth control as often as it is. I am sure we agree on that.

#26 Magnetic Poles, Sep 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2007
  7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, carpro, some of you like to question my political stances and I try to provide answers. But ya'll sure don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot, do ya? I guess ya'll just don't have the courage of your convictions the way I do.

Ron Paul is more of a Republican than you and your cohorts have ever dreamed of being. It's no wonder that the Democrats crushed ya'll in 2006 and will do even more so in 2008.

There are some folks who have been chastising Ron Paul supporters because they say we should give obeisance to the GOP. Thanks for providing me proof that I can pass on throughout the Internet that ya'll don't want us as part of the GOP and, by extension, don't want our votes for your candidates.

Enjoy your ever shrinking Republican Party, carpro.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that we should equate a natural abortion with that done willfully.

There is also no reason for an abortion to save the life of the mother:

www.lifeissues.net/writers/irv/irv_08natlaw.html

#28 KenH, Sep 2, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  9. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Looks like the race for Republican candidate has been settled then since none of the candidates show any real consistancy of being who the say they are. No one in the Republican field is qualified and should call it quits if they have to meet the criteria of being a solid Republican. I understand why Ron Paul put himself in the Republican field of candidates but that does not mean he is dishonest about who he is, he has every right to be in the running as all the other Republicrats and RINOs. Ron Paul is the more consistant of any of the other candiates in the field and I admire the fact that whether it is his intention or not that he is bringing about more integrity in the the Republican Party through his involvement.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I try not to base things on a single issue, and look at the totality. This is just me speaking, but there is something about abortion that turns my stomach in knots just thinking about it. I know sin is sin, however, this tops the list of evil for me. This is the only issue I can think of that is single issue for me.

11. Magnetic Poles

I think all of us have issues that play very strongly in our thinking, but I too try not to let one override all else. It is hard to do sometimes though. However, I can tell you are thoughtful and give a lot of concerted effort to think things through. I certainly admire that in a person.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Hypethocial question Two candidates are opposed on 5 major issues.
    Candidate A is:
    1. Pro Abortion
    2. Strong stance on keeping terroists out of US. Will give border guards greater powers to keep all illegal aliens out
    3. Will cut Federal spending by 20% thereby cutting taxes
    4. Increase military spending and # of troops
    5. Against National Health care

Candidate B
    1. Pro life
    2. Encourages illegal aliens to come to US (and seek govt welfare pgms)
    3. Believes there should be more Federal govt programs, and the current ones should be increased, thereby increasing Govt spending and raising taxes
    4. Wants to reduce the military and return all National Guard control back to the States (ie the President would no longer have any authority to call up the NG)
    5. Cradle to grave health care - weather you want it or not

In this case, who would you vote for: A or B?

Salty

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: You're the one that brought it up.

My last comment on the subject in this thread:

You don't find it too appalling or you wouldn't support it at all. More than 95% of abortions are performed when the life of the mother is not threatened. IOW As birth control.

14. Magnetic Poles

Your reading skills are lacking again, carpro. It wad SN that brought it up
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1083746&postcount=15

I just didn't want it to become a major derail.

But your binary thinking makes you part of the problem, not the solution. You think you can read my mind, but once again, you are off base.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good for you, Ken. :applause:

You still don't get it. Your questions are designed for a Republican to answer, so you'll have to find one to ask them of.

My point is that Paul is considered a RINO by Republicans of today. I'm sure you will agree with that.

As such, he has no chance of being the Republican nominee. None at all.

If he wants to be on the ballot, he has to run as a Libertarian.

Actually, I don't think he's serious about running for President. If he was, he would realize this as well. He's making a statement, not running for President.

If he ever gets serious, I might even vote for him.:thumbs:

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of ourse it is. :rolleyes:

OTOH Christians like you, who ignore scripture for the sake of their worldly views, are the main reason women are allowed to indiscriminately kill their babies at all.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which I have been saying from the start of his campaign.

These United States are so far away from being in any condition for a rebirth of freedom that basically all those of us who believe in the principles of liberty can do is just try to aggravate the Establishment.

I look forward to watching the Republican Party get clobbered in the November 2008 election.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I brought up the abortion issue. If it were up to me, I would enjoy seeing the Democratic and Republican parties get clobbered in November 2008 by someone who is honest and knows how to govern.

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who would that be?

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

My cat or dog could do a better job. Out of 300 million Americans, I am sure there is plenty of talent to lead this country. Tell you what we do not need, another President from Texas.

#40 saturneptune, Sep 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007