1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's your favorite hymn?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by countrybaptist, Apr 19, 2004.

1. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I would have to second Christ4Kildare's favorite and also agree on the favorite line from the song. I would say my favorite arangement is the one on the Promise Keepers: The Making Of A Godly Man album that combines two songs, "It Is Well With My Soul/I Surrender All". My second favorite would have to be "How Great Thou Art". My third favorite would be "Turn Your Eyes upon Jesus". I guess I will stop at three. [​IMG] While I enjoy the new praise and worship, I hate seeing churches totally quit using the old hymns.

"It Is Well With My Soul" was writ­ten af­ter two ma­jor trau­mas in Horatio G. Spafford’s life. The first was the great Chi­ca­go Fire of Oc­to­ber 1871, which ru­ined him fi­nan­cial­ly (he had been a weal­thy bus­i­ness­man). Short­ly af­ter, while cross­ing the At­lan­tic, all four of Spaf­ford’s daugh­ters died in a col­li­sion with an­o­ther ship. Spaf­ford’s wife Anna sur­vived and sent him the now fa­mous tel­e­gram, “Saved alone.” Sev­er­al weeks lat­er, as Spaf­ford’s own ship passed near the spot where his daugh­ters died, the Ho­ly Spir­it in­spired these words. They speak to the eter­nal hope that all be­liev­ers have, no mat­ter what pain and grief be­fall them on earth. Iron­ic­al­ly, Philip P. Bliss, who wrote the music, died in a tra­gic train wreck short­ly af­ter writ­ing this mu­sic.

SOURCE

[ April 19, 2004, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: NetPublicist ]

2. LauraB

LauraB New Member

Hmmm, One favorite.. no can do.
    "Til The Storm"
    "In The Garden"
    "I Should Have Been Crucified"
    "And Can It Be That I Should Gain"
    'Just A Closer Walk With Thee"
    "All That Thrills My Soul"
    "He Hideth My Soul"

And so many, many more.
    Victory In Jesus has become a bad word in my church. It was being played so much we were all sick of it. But it is still a great song. :)

3. dclark14

dclark14 New Member

My favorite is "I Love To Tell The Story", and especially the 4th stanza:
    "I love to tell the story,
    For those who know it best
    Seem hungering and thirsting
    To hear it like the rest.
    And when, in scenes of glory,
    I sing the new, new song,
    'Twill be the old, old story
    That I have loved so long."
    There is an old hymn called "Jesus Lives and So Shall I" and I often read the words at a funeral service. I don't recall ever singing it congregationally, but the words are awesome.

4. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I do not have a favorite except perhaps the old rugged cross... or just a closer walk or there is an old negro one that I like called give me Jesus but again I like pass me not... I dont know, I just love to praise HIM... Don't sing well, but I sure make a joyuful noise.