1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What's your view of music

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jordan Kurecki, May 26, 2014.

?
  1. No Music sound (Anti-Instrumentation)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. Conservative (Hymns and Classical style)

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Southern Gospel/Bluegrass Gospel/Western Gospel

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. CCM/Christian Rock/Praise and Worship style

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Any Genre can be used,there are no genres that we cannot add Christian lyrics to

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  6. Other (Please explain)

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

It is pretty obvious that you are not interested in dialogue and that this thread was designed only to condemn those who disagree with you. In the other thread you ignored a couple of my questions about classical music my ungodly composers and why style of dance the Hebrew people used to worship God. You seem much quicker to question my faith than to dialogue.

If you could give one piece of Biblical evidence that God does not approve of the music style you (and I) don't like you might have a point. But you can't produce any Bible evidence that rhythm, syncopation, or anticipated beat are sinful your arguments have merit you would have every right to question.

But you can't. All you have is opinion.

I rarely respond to personal attacks - but I am deeply offended as your brother in Christ that you say it is obvious that I think Christians can do whatever they want. You know nothing about my life or my walk with the Lord.

I appreciate your youthful fervour for The Lord. I will be praying that as you learn and mature and grow the importance of 'what saith the Lord' will replace men's views and opinions.

Christians who disagree with you are not your enemies. Christians who listen to music you don't like are not your enemies. If you limit yourself to only those who agree with you you are going to miss the marvellous blessing of the diversity of the body of Christ.

#21 NaasPreacher (C4K), May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

A capella lined-out songs of Zion for me. Here's one I'm slowly learning to line-out:

I was a wandering sheep,
    I did not love the fold;
    I did not love my Shepherd's voice,
    I would not be controlled.
    I was a wayward child,
    I did not love my home;
    I did not love my Father's voice,
    I loved afar to roam.

The Shepherd sought His sheep,
    The Father sought His child;
    They followed me o'er vale and hill,
    O'er deserts waste and wild;
    They found me nigh to death,
    Famished and faint and lone;
    They bound me with the bands of love,
    They saved the wandering one.

Jesus my Shepherd is:
    Twas He that loved my soul;
    Twas He that washed me in His blood,
    Twas He that made me whole.
    Twas He that sought the lost,
    That found the wandering sheep,
    Twas He that brought me to the fold,
    Tis He that still doth keep.

No more a wandering sheep,
    I love to be controlled;
    I love my tender Shepherd's voice,
    I love the peaceful fold.
    No more a wayward child,
    I seek no more to roam;
    I love my heavenly Father's voice,
    I love, I love His home!

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm Afraid to Tell You This ....

.... If what Ann listens to, you may really want to question what I did in my music ministry.

To make it simple, my wife an I were blessed with the gift of changing the worldly meaning and the words of secular songs from the 60's through the 80's.

Thankfully, when we started this ministry there were background tapes being sold, so we had no need for a band to back us up, although the church we call our home, away from home, always used the praise and worship band to back us up, live!

Any hooooo, think of the Beach Boys song Surfin' USA, and now change it to Churchin' USA? Or the Everly Brothers Bye, Bye Love, changed to Bye, Bye Sin! Then there was Pastor Ooop, Johnny Be Good, Ricky Nelson's, It's Late. Or the Rolling Stones - Satisfaction!

Everywhere we went, the new words to old songs blessed, and we were booked up every weekend for years! We were even the featured guests at a Billy Graham pre Crusade Rally down at the beach!

I always told people that if God could take my life and rewrite it's direction to use me for His Kingdom, why couldn't He use us to rewrite songs meant for sin?

Everyone has an opinion, and I respect those opinions, even if I don't always agree. As for Ann listening to 80s music, so long as she knows to tune out the ones that are soul polluting, that is her business.

I know a preacher who plays his form of rock-n-roll gospel, but, he condemns rock-n-roll. That always confused me, but, that is his thing and I happened to like his rock-n-roll versions of the old gospel hymns!

God bless you and thanks for the post! It is bringing out some good thoughts on music! :thumbsup:

BTW - we did copyright the words to all these songs, over 150, so if anyone wants a copy of a song redone for Jesus, let me know!

4. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I voted "Other" as the options don't quite accurately reflect my beliefs.

I listen almost exclusively to Christian music. Not necessarily because I think every song we listen to needs to be "spiritual" but because I can't stand the awful, ungodly lyrics of most songs on the radio. I grew up with country music, but can hardly tolerate it anymore. It sounds awful and the lyrics are almost as bad as pop and rap songs anymore IMO. In church I grew up always hearing the so-called "Old fashioned" hymns, which often really are relatively modern. However my youth teacher like modern, contemporary Christian music and introduced me to it (Late 90s early 00s). I quickly came to love Audio Adrenaline, Mercy Me and DC Talk.

All that being said, what is most important to me is the lyrics. When it comes to secular, are the lyrics ungodly or promote immorality? If so, I won't listen. When it comes to Christian, above all else, are the lyrics theologically sound? There are an appalling number of "old fashioned" hymns that have little to no theology or understanding of the Bible apparent in the lyrics. I mean really, have you ever heard a more vapid song than I'll Fly Away? But there are many wonderful modern songs that are very deep and have great theology to match the great sound. In Christ Alone, would be the premier example I think. Does every song have to be a sermon or have "deep" theology? No, but it can't be empty, shallow, or worse, wrong.

All that said, I listen to a wide variety of artists from the 90s Christian rock of DC Talk, to the modern hymns of the Getty's, to "Reformed Rap" of Shai Linne and Lecrae.

My Pandora account has the following stations:

Shai Linne Radio
    Sovereign Grace Radio
    The Heat Radio(I have no idea what this is... must be something my wife listens to)
    Rend Collective Experiment Radio
    Christmas Radio
    Kutless Radio
    Jadon Lavik Radio
    Phillips, Craig, and Dean Radio
    Starfield Radio
    Skillet Radio
    Audio Adrenaline Radio

Lots of variety. :thumbsup:

Seriously dude?? You disagree with someone over music and assume they are antinomian or apostate? Really? Unbelievable...

5. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had never heard of the Gettys. Did a quick Google search and found a few videos. Very nice. I like their style.

As for the poll, I chose the CCM/Christian Rock/Praise and Worship style otion, although I'm not all that into Christian rock. I like a lot of the early (mid 80s thru late 90s) CCM. For "worship music" in a church service, I prefer modern hymns and praise and worship music. Unfortunately, the church I currently attend is moving more and more towards a "rock concert" sound. Not a big fan of that in church. At home however, just give me some good old classic rock and roll. Or as Bob Seger sings, "just take those old records off the shelf, I'll sit and listen to them by myself..." :) That's the music I grew up with. And contrary to the belief of some people, that music didn't cause me to do drugs, drink or engage in premarital sex. It was just me enjoying the music while growing up.

:)

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who cares what we listen to....bunch of legalists. Oh BTW, I had a beer with my steak yesterday......deal with it!:tongue3:

7. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

You seem to like that phrase "deal with it" now. :laugh:

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its life right:smilewinkgrin: I like other expressions to, but......:laugh:

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

So did I! Except it was a brÓ“t -- same thing. :thumbsup: :laugh: Let 'em deal with two of us.

#29 thisnumbersdisconnected, May 27, 2014
  10. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

What I'm curious about, is who voted for no instruments!?

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Music is thought. It is the non-verbal communication of mood and emotion through the intelligent arrangement and progression of certain sounds existing in a tonal relationship that elicits a particular mood or emotion in the hearer. Music is a form of nonverbal human interaction.

Any that is compatible with the prescribed character of Christian interaction.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #32 Earth Wind and Fire, May 27, 2014
  13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we go again....

All music is acceptable, so long as the lyrics are not offensive. However, "acceptable" and my personal likes are quite different. I prefer traditional hymns in worship service and I listen to CCM outside of church. I also listen to secular music (gasp!), because, yes, I like the beat and/or the sound of the guitars.

My childhood upbringing regarding music mirrors questdriven's, so I know all the flawed arguments against fleshly, worldly, rock and roll. The same arguments were used against fleshly, worldly jazz in the 20's and 30's, and then fleshly, worldly swing music in the 40's.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    House cleanin' music. Love it!

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When I'm cleaning the house, I like music that is familiar, upbeat and fun. I have to say that 80s music does that. The problem when I play my other favorite music (Christian worship, mostly modern stuff), I get distracted from my work and want to worship. Seriously. So it's just the fun music that I love instead. I can sing along, dance a little and get a boat load of work done!! What's even more fun is that my kids don't think it's half bad! LOL

And just so you know, during that time I'm not teaching or admonishing anyone so I think I'm good.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We saw them in concert a few weeks ago and man, do they love the Lord and their music is incredible!! The words to their songs are theologically solid and well worth listening to. I honestly cried through the entire concert as I sang the words to their songs. God is just so amazing!!!

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - It is the only thing that gets me going and motivated to clean. I don't know if it's just the familiarity of it or what but it makes me happy and gets me moving!! No sin being brought in - just cleansing! LOL

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do something like this when I have to upload dozens, sometimes hundreds, of electronic invoices to one of my customers. I'll pick an 80's station from the Windows Media Player internet radio player and bop along while I do this mind-numbingly repetitious and boring task.

19. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder what the OP would think about Paul using a secular poem in Acts 17:28.

20. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol I could see listening to "Whip It!" while house cleaning.

For me, just about anything works. Just so long as it's music I'm in the mood for listening to. It helps me slow down and since I like listening to music I'm less likely to rush through my work.

#40 evenifigoalone, May 27, 2014